Has this happened to you, too?

Sometimes walking away is the best thing to do........it's happened to me before but something better always seems to come along!!!!

I don't use a snipe service and I don't recommend anyone do so either. I tend to my own business. When I want something, i get it.
Snipe services tell the sellers what your top bid is, and then the seller's shills run the bid up to just under your top dollar. I know this for a fact, because i used to buy gems, and it became very obvious they work hand in glove. When i confronted the seller, he denied it, and changed his seller name. Moron.
Do you really think that snipe services tell the seller what the bid amounts are? That just doesn't make sense. What would be their benefit to doing so? It would only hurt their own credibility if discovered.

I was selling something once and a potential buyer told me she was going to use a sniping service. At that time, I had never heard of such a thing. But I was never notified of her price or had any contact at all from the sniping service. The only clue that she had used one was that the bid came in the last few seconds of the auction.

I'm sorry millstream... I think walk away would be best... UNLESS if you really wanted it and it is a piece hard to get.

it's soo annoying, I had it once with silverware... someone was setting up a buy it now for me, then someone else bought it just before I could, she was going to sell piece by piece, I offered 20% up, she wouldn't take it. Then I just passed on it, eventually she got way less then I offered.

MillStream--People like that bug me. Unfortunately this happens in many of the auction categories. Take cosmetics/skin care products seen on the shopping channels. One of the stations will have a daily special and the next thing you know people are buying the kit, just so they could turn right around the moment the box is delivered on their doorstep to place it on ebay. So, it really irritates me to see people doing the same thing with luxury goods. I'm stubborn, I'd buy from another seller. Unless, you really, really want the item in question. :smile:

I'm sorry to hear this, Millstream. I hope it wasn't a "Grail" item for you--but you know what? Even if it WAS, eventually there will be another one! That, to me, is the greatest saving grace of eBay. You really never know what will pop up when you have given up all hope! I say this because there was a particular something that I wanted a few years ago, Hermes stopped making, and I just assumed I would never be able to find. I found it last week and it's on its way to me now--for a bargain, too!
So, try not to get too discouraged. Either you can negotiate with the "outbidder", or you will have another chance at the item one day.

Thanks to all of you for helping me to process my feelings about this. When things are this difficult and unpleasant, they just aren't meant to be. I'm going to walk away.

Ah hem (clearing my throat)...Millstream what do you need with that bag? You've been coaching me for the past several weeks (thank you) to clear up my closet of bags. :bagslap: You absolutely have a gorgeous Hermes collection and are acquiring something really special this week...shhhhh. :whistle:

Do you really think that snipe services tell the seller what the bid amounts are? [Yes, in certain areas of ebay, such as gems. I know that for a fact it was happening 18 months ago.] That just doesn't make sense. What would be their benefit to doing so?[ Payola ]It would only hurt their own credibility if discovered. [It did, I no longer use them.]

I was selling something once and a potential buyer told me she was going to use a sniping service. At that time, I had never heard of such a thing. But I was never notified of her price or had any contact at all from the sniping service. The only clue that she had used one was that the bid came in the last few seconds of the auction.
And once that happens, a shady seller can approach a shady employee of the snipe service. These people are not saint teresas. we're talking about gem dealers.

MillStream, I didn't see this until this morning. I'm sorry about this. I use a snipe service on occasion, just put in my top bid and let it do the bidding at the last seconds, literally. It's doubtful if anyone would have the time, manually, to outbid me unless THEY set up their own snipe to come in a second after my own.

It could be that this happened in this situation?

My second thought is that the buyer is regretful of her purchase ( for whatever reason ) and wants to sell her remorse.

OR, she feels she won the item at a reasonable price and wants to make a few dollars.

Who knows what goes on the heads of others?:smile:

You might get your original offer ( or less ) if you contact her?

I'm sorry millstream... I think walk away would be best... UNLESS if you really wanted it and it is a piece hard to get.

it's soo annoying, I had it once with silverware... someone was setting up a buy it now for me, then someone else bought it just before I could, she was going to sell piece by piece, I offered 20% up, she wouldn't take it. Then I just passed on it, eventually she got way less then I offered.

It's so good to hear the greed didn't pay in your case, HK. Sometimes there is justice in this world!

MillStream, I came back to check on you. :flowers:

I saw a familiar listing and the new buyer's listing bears a BIN price far higher than the price she bought at.

I hope whoever buys the bag, can and will appreciate the bag as much as I know you do. If it sells.