Has anyone here "fired" someone?

1. Hi everyone...so, I was wondering if anyone on the forum has ever fired someone? I'm asking because I am going through the process of "potentially" firing someone, and it's been a really difficult, emotional decision for me.

Without going into details, this has been my first time supervising anyone and despite two informal reviews, this person is still having adjustment issues. Our COO told me to draft a memo for our lawyers to review, and the memo turned out to be several pages. I'm having a really hard time because (and I guess this is a personal mistake) I think this person is really great, personality-wise, but work-wise, just doesn't get it. This person is not detailed-oriented or proactive, and rarely follows up with me (and this has caused some problems for other colleagues in the office).

Does anyone have any insight or advice to share? It's really hard knowing that I may be causing someone extreme unhappiness. I've never been fired before from a job, so thankfully, I don't know what it's like, so I would also like to hear from people who have been fired (if possible). I want to be as fair as possible. Thanks.
  2. My husband had to fire one of his saleguys, the day after we attended his wedding :sad:

he has had to do it a few times, but this hurt him deeply. Ofcourse, usually it comes from even higher up, so it softens the blow and he has always tried to counteract it by saying he would have no hesitation in giving a personal reference (sometimes the company, if firing will not want to do this, so its a good tip for making it a little bit easier).

good luck, its not an enviable position to be in.
  3. Hi Suli, although I have never been fired, I did thank someone for their time and asked them to leave (an intern at our lab). If you have been fair with this person, and giving them the appropriate training, time to adjust, and several warnings, then you should take steps to let them go.

It does hurt, but I think that you are doing everyone a favor by this action. A person should work where they will not only earn the right to receive a paycheck, but earn and receive a positive, emotional experience.

You know that if you put up with a non-productive person, their will be mistakes or other people will feel uncomfortable, etc. Not only will the bad employee look bad, but management looks even worse for keeping him/her there. It's good that you have legal guidance, because an angry, soon-to-be-ex-employee is a scary sight. Good Luck!
  4. I have and I loved every minute of it. Not because I'm a cold heartless you know what, but because he was making the company look bad and NOT doing his job. I was more than happy to get him the heck out of there. We had a 3 month probation policy and he was WELL under that so I didn't even have to give him a reason. I just said "Lazy weirdo" it's not working out, I feel that you are not a good fit for our company. But we do thank you for your time with us. Short and sweet. Yes he did cry, yes he was being a tad of a drama queen and making a small ruckus. But it was totaly worth it, he showed up the day I canned him in jeans a big NO NO, we couldn't even wear any denim. Some people just don't get it.
  5. I personally haven't but my mom used to be a personnel director so she hired and fired and counseled quite a few. It bothered her to fire someone or have to talk to them about a problem unless they were a total jerk. You're human so naturally it's going to upset you. Just remind yourself why you have to do it and explain the reasons to the person.

My mom once had to have a talk with an employee because she was getting complaints that he stunk! At least you don't have to do that!
  6. I have, sort of!! I guess it was more of a letting go!! It was difficult because he was the only other person that I worked with, but there wasn't enough work to keep him fully occupied. I just came in, told him that I needed to talk to him, and spit it out!! I found it easier to just say it, and then told him that I would of course offer a fabulous recommendation letter. He took it OK, and it wasn't as bad as I thought it was going to be. He knew it was coming, as I am sure that the person you are talking about knows its coming!! Good luck!
  7. I fire my husband all the time. He fires me alot too lol! It's kinda funny since we own the business:lol:
  8. Yeah... I fired a few people!! haha but it didn't bother me b/c they couldn't do their job right.. ( I think I was 18 then... young!) haha
  9. If the person is on probation you don't need to give a reason. If not, has this person been coached or formally warned? A lot of companies have steps that are taken before termination occurs. I have only had to dismiss someone once. I was an assisted living facility manager and one of the girls was stealing narcotics. Even though it was necessary it was very difficult. Good luck to you.
  10. i've never been fired, but since i work in retail, i've seen a fair number of people be fired. the crappy thing that they do where i work is waiting until the END of your shift to fire you. if the person has been given fair warning (there's a write-up process at my work, and all the people that are fired have been written up multiple times), it's their fault if their performance hasn't changed. just let him or her know it's not your personal choice, and it's not a reflection of the quality of person that you think they are, but they're just not what you're looking for for the position.
  11. I have and it is not funny. Essentially in an investment bank, you are allowed to make mistakes no matter if it’s for $1,000 or $1,000,000 but only once. If you make it again, you are immediately fired.

So there was a trader, let’s call him John and this was last November with bonus season fast approaching, so John was pressured into making a bet on a bond not defaulting and he started selling these weird things called credit default swaps which will give you lots of money if the bond does not default. Well it happened that it did default. Given that John made the same mistake in February, he was called into a director’s meeting.

There were six directors including me and after the customary grilling session with as many swearwords and as many racist remarks as you can imagine, the leading managing director who runs the trading operation asked all of us what has to be done and said Beatrice you go first. I think he said that because I was the youngest director so he wanted to put me under pressure. If I actually said no, some other people would probably go along with me but I said: ‘Sorry, John…’

Immediately the leading managing director says: ‘Anyone with an objection?’ No one (not even another director present who previously said that she would try to prevent the firing) said anything so he was fired just like that and no compensation whatsoever because of me. That was when I just thought what have I done! I must say the managing director was absolutely ruthless – he needed to be to get to his level – because when he realised I was sort of distressed afterwards he said: Beatrice, don’t f***ing play Mother Theresa with me and don’t even start thinking about sobbing because that guy was absolute s**thead.

I still feel bad to this day even though he did sent me an e-mail an hour afterwards saying that he realised what he was doing when he wrote those credit default swaps and he deserved to be fired. The bad karma probably came back to haunt me later because last month, although I was put forward a resignation, I had to go through one of these grilling sessions and it was not pleasant having to sit in front of six people and try to justify oneself.

So advice is probably to do it quietly (this is also a prevention against damaging the atmosphere in the office) and not to fire the person in front of a group of people because it is a very bad experience for that person. That is the least you could do for that person.
  12. I have been people's manager for quite some years now, and fired a lot of people also. My team is 40+ people, so it really happens. First time is the hardest.

I have 1 main principle for firing: if you are doing your job as a manager/leader, FIRING IS NEVER COMING AS A SUPRISE TO THE PERSON. If it does, you are a lousy manager and should be fired instead.
  13. I have had to fire several young part time employees who were not taking their job seriously and two "grown up" full timers for the same thing & the only thing that surprised any of them was that I wasn't meaner about it.

Since your employee is already on probation, it should come as a relief to him.
  14. I've fired a lot of people, and I don't "like" it, but it doesn't hurt me either. I think you just have to cut your emotions out. If this person is not doing good, both them and the work place are suffering. It's best to just fire them. I'm usually very straight forward and impersonal about it. I think things can get too messy or awkward if you get too personal and emotional. I also agree with the person who said don't wait until the end of the day/shift. I always talk to them first time I see them.
  15. i can not go into details but i know someone who right now needs to be fired. the boss won't do it because he is just plain too lazy to deal with it. the person who needs to be fired is a total jerk and has been verbally abusive and has refused to do her job for several months because she didn't like something the boss said to her. if this person needs to go please think of the good of the greatest number of people.