Has anyone experience this?

1. The other day, I had a brief moment (a few secs) of blackout when I was standing in the bookstore. I quickly sat down to recompose myself. Within a few seconds, I was back to normal again. Sometimes when I squat down and stand up too fast, I will experience a brief moment (a few secs) of blackout. I don't feel sick or anything, just that brief moment of blackout. The doctor said there's nothing wrong with me. Has anyone expeience this?

2. I sometimes have something like that, usually when I get up from laying down or sitting down, it's very very brief. I never really thought anything of it. I believe the reason for that is because of a drop in blood pressure.

3. It happens to me every once in awhile. no idea why, but I'm pretty used to it.

4. So is this vey common? You guys don't think it's serious, right?

5. Chances are pretty good it's not serious, but with everything, it is always best to let your doctor know and have him run any tests he/she would believe is necessary. It could be a symptom of something or it could be a condition in itself. It could be just something that happens: usually when changing position quickly, your circulatory system adapts to the change, and sometimes doesn't send enough blood to the brain, which causes this drop in blood pressure and this moment of blackout. Also, certain medicines can cause this. I, personally, think nothing of it as it doesn't happen often at all to me and it doesn't affect me, although I probably will mention it next time at my doctor. If it occurs a lot, then go to the doctor, but either way my advice would be to see your doctor and have him/her rule out anything that could be a problem, and see what he/she has to say, but if you told your doctor all of what you told us already and he already said it's nothing, then I wouldn't worry about it.

6. Isn't this what people call a "head-rush"? I get it, too, from standing up too quickly after bending over or something. Nothing to worry about, but like the previous poster said, get yourself checked out anyway, just to make sure! :smile:

7. Thanks for the replies. I've been to a doctor before and he said nothing wrong with me. I guess thers's nothing to worry about. I just have to remind myself not to stand up so fast.

8. my doctor told me its because i dont have enough iron in me. i take iron pills and its gone.

9. Happens to me. Also, sometimes I forget where I am going or simple things I should know and I can't remember what I was doing before. The other day I was in the car and I realized I couldn't remember where I was going or how to get there- and I was going home from work (and I'm only 25!!!).

10. I use to get this all the time. Finally had myself check and found out I had high blood pressure. Medication took care of it.

11. If you're still experiencing this next time you're at the doctor, you can ask them to take your blood pressure both sitting and standing, which is a good test of how your body/circulation adapts to moving from a sitting to standing position.
    If you're worried about falling over from the blackout, you can try getting up more slowly. If you're getting up from lying down, try sitting up first for a few moments before you stand up all the way.

ETA: Oops, just noticed this thread was from awhile ago... trixz, hope you found something that works!

12. I get dizzy if I stand up too fast but I take meds that lower my blood pressure. Also be sure you are getting enough fluid. I've been told that can do that too. Last time I gave blood (which will be my last time ever) I almost passed out after and I'm guessing I might have been dehydrated.

13. I did for the first time last week and it was such a scary feeling!

I'd given blood for the first time the previous night, and woke up the next morning and sat down for breakfast. When I went to get up my head started spinning and I could hear the noises around me and people talking, but couldn't see a thing. The plate I was holding I heard smash to the floor, but I never felt it leave my hands, and I didn't react at all (i.e move my barefeet out of the way). When I came around I was still standing thank goodness, and the smashed plated was all around my ankles.

I think it was just a case of getting up too fast, combined with not having a proper meal before I'd donated the night before.

14. Me too. I have low blood pressure from my mom. I'm used to this. But I never have the black out while standing like the OP.

15. You could have low blood pressure. Has your dr. said anything with regards to your blood pressure being quite on the low range? If your dr. didn't mention anything it may be because it is not so dangerously low that medication would ne necessary. But still is your blood pressure lower than most people? That's what you need to know.

I am one of those people with low blood pressure, and anytime I have done or eaten something that may cause it to fall I get the fainty symptoms specially when I do sudden movements. So I have had to research it and have found this extremely helpful....

(Here is an article I hope it is ok to post here:smile:

Have Low Blood Pressure? Drink Water
    Date: Tuesday, December 14 @ 14:15:14 EST
    Topic: DIC Newsletter Issue 238

Ordinary tap or bottled water could help people suffering from low blood pressure who faint while standing.

According to research published in the latest issue of Journal of Neurology, Neurosurgery and Psychiatry, drinking two glasses of water can raise blood pressure, potentially providing a solution for patients with low blood pressure while standing, caused by autonomic failure. Autonomic failure is where parts of the nervous system, responsible for the control of bodily functions not consciously directed, such as blood pressure, heart rate and sweating, do not function properly.
    Professor Christopher Mathias, from Imperial College London and St Mary's Hospital, and the senior author of the research, comments: "This surprising discovery that water can have such an effect on blood pressure could help us to treat both sufferers of autonomic failure, and many people who suffer from low blood pressure generally, especially those who faint, such as with vasovagal syncope."

The researchers looked at 14 patients with autonomic failure, and measured their blood pressure while lying and standing, before, and 15 and 35 minutes after drinking 480ml of distilled water. When asked to stand, before drinking water, this caused a fall in blood pressure.

The 14 patients were divided into two groups, seven of whom had multiple system atrophy (MSA), while the other seven had pure autonomic failure (PAF). MSA is a neurodegenerative disease marked by a combination of symptoms affecting movement, blood pressure, and other body functions. PAF is a disorder affecting only the autonomic nervous system. They both often present in middle to late life.

The patients then drank water causing a significant rise in blood pressure. For the patients with PAF it took five minutes for a significant rise in blood pressure to be recorded, and for patients with MSA it took 13 minutes. In both the fall in blood pressure and symptoms of low blood pressure, was reduced while standing.

Professor Mathias adds: "While autonomic failure itself is generally not life threatening, it can have a significant impact on an individual's quality of life. People with low blood pressure caused by autonomic failure are at a greater risk of fainting when standing upright, after food or even after mild exertion. This can affect their life in many ways, stopping them from driving, or in extreme cases, from being able to work. This discovery could be of considerable use in helping these patients to understand why this happens. It may also benefit the many without autonomic failure who faint as a result of low blood pressure."

Journal of Neurology, Neurosurgery and Psychiatry Dec, 2004