Has anyone ever had their gold melted down?

1. Hi everyone!

I was just wondering if anyone has ever had their old gold jewelry melted down because I was interested in having some of my family's gold melted and then have a bracelet made out of it.

However, I'm not sure how much this would cost and was wondering if anyone else has had any experience with having their jewelry melted and knew some of the general prices.

I'm not exactly sure if I will have the bracelet created, but I'm definitely interested because I think that having my family's gold would make it more unique and special! :heart:

Thank you very much!
    Leanne :smile:

2. I did that with a ring once. The only downside to it is never being really sure it's the exact gold that you brought in so it may well not be your family's gold when it's all said and done. I'd ask the jeweler you have in mind about that since it's important to you.

3. You can buy a smelter and do it yourself! It might be more meaningful that way.

I took a class on metalworking once - I made my family crest out of metal. It's super easy, just make sure you wear gloves and goggles.

4. we did that once when visiting india and our jeweler actually let us watch him melt it and gave us a bar hehe it was kind of cool and the bar was SO crazy heavy!!! its sooooo very cool to watch!!!! and i believe he did it for free...we get msot of our jewlery custom made by him anyways :smile: (btw hes in india so i BET its a bit different here hehe)

5. Thank you everyone for your responses :heart:

Prada Pyscho- I love your suggestion to make sure that the final gold is actually mine- thanks!

purly- I never thought about melting it myself! Thats a great idea but I wanted it to be engraved also, so it might be easier just to have it all done by one person- thanks!

luvednotspoiled- wow it sounds really cool to see it yourself- thanks for posting!