Has anyone been to Bali???

1. I'm planning to go on a mini vacation next week to Bali for a few days and was wondering if anyone had any recommendations -- restaurants, local markets, etc. etc.

Thanks!!!;)

2. What kinda of vacation will it be- luxurious spa retreat or budget, fun in the sun getaway? You can do either in Bali.

3. I'm totally in love with Bali:heart:, absolute paradise!

Where to stay would depend a bit on your age, or what your preferences are...if you like it busy and want to stay close to the clubs and restaurants, Kuta Beach is your best options and you'll find hotels in all price ranges, you can get some terrific deals here in Australia, don't know what the prices are in the US.

I don't know where you live, but if I were you I would go with an open mind and try to appreciate the local feel of the place..it can be quite dirty in places and there'll be a lot of efforts to con you out of your money, so just stay a bit alert...

I've stayed with DH and kids in the Dynasty, which is very much a family hotel and also the Patra Bali, which is absolutely beautiful, but not within walking distance to Kuta (and the traffic can be murder..) The Hard Rock Hotel is smack in the middle of the action, with a fair bit of youngsters (those who can afford a 5 star..).

Local markets are everywhere, nothing in particular I would suggest you buy..(you'll be sick with the sight of the fake bags..)

When you go to Bali, I think it's worth spending a bit more on your accommodation, you want it neat and clean...

As long as you don't drink the water and eat somewhere dodgy, you'll have a great time and I want to hear all about it!:smile:

4. I'm staying at the Grand Hyatt Bali -- Nusa Dua I belive is where it's located. Is there anything to do around there (and is it close to the busier streets that you mentioned?)?

My vacation is more a little bit of both I suppose luxurious retreat + fun in the sun. Recommendations on beaches/activities/spas? (in addition to where to eat and go)

Thanks~

5. Nusa Dua is beautiful, the upmarket, luxurious part of Bali, more peaceful with nice places to eat. Not the heaving activity you find at Kuta Beach, but nothing is more than a short taxi ride away, so it's not like you're stuck out there...We've chosen Thailand this year, otherwise I would be back to Bali again, just love it there!:heart:

6. I stayed in Seminyak last August. We were getting cabs nearly everyday to go all over the place and they are very cheap. The cabs have a meter so you won't get ripped off - just make sure they turn it on when you get in! You can hire drivers for the day too at really good prices to take you to all the tourist spots.

Kuta is very busy and is where all the night life is - the Bounty club seemed to be the most popular when i was there. Made Warung was recommended to me to eat at for authentic Balinese/Indonesian food. There is one in Kuta and Seminak - both are always packed. The Nasi Goreng in the Seminak restaurant was fab. Oh, and we ate at a place called Max! They cook fresh fish and stuff like that. The menu was always different because its fresh stuff. It was really good food. Hard Rocks good if you are craving food from home. Excellent service too.

You are gonna have a brilliant time. I am so jealous. Tell us about it all when you come back. Would love to see some pics.

If I think of any other tidbits I will post again!

7. I'm so jealous!! I wanted to go to Bali for our honeymoon, but right before we got married the US embassy pulled out of Indonesia and my husband said there was no way he'd go with such unrest. We ended up going to Tahiti, and on the day we flew back home was the day the last bombing occurred! So he has been all "I told you so" since then. I still would want to go one day...from what I hear, as long as you do not go to the touristy areas you are ok. The beaches are supposed to be some of the best in the world!

8. the conrad hotel in bali is nice!!!

9. i've never been but one day, i'd love to go!
    I hope you have lotsa fun on your trip.. :smile:

10. I have been there a few times and all i have to say is that it's magical place..

Kuta Beach and Sanur beach are the beaches that you should visit.. and you should try to get a glimpse of their sunsets.. believe me, it won';t be something that u forget..

Around those beaches, there would lots of seafood eateries and you should try their lobsters.. it's deliciously cooked and pretty affordable as well

I tried their local spa and massage as well. I stayed at the ritz carlton.. and it was pretty good..

Just a tip from a local friend, she mentioned that you are not supposed to pick any flowers in Bali.. so yeah, just try not so pick any flowers i guess..

Enjoy your holiday :smile:

11. Thank you so much ladies for the info! I'm leaving tomorrow and I'm so excited... I'll definately share pictures after I return. :smile:

12. have a good trip! i am sure that you will love it. i went there 2 years ago, i just spent most of my time at the resort, got a fabulous tan which lasted for a month. we had our dinner by the beaches watching the sunset, beautiful. you can always ask your concierge for recommendations and they will call for transportations to bring you the eateries by the beach!