Has ANY Seller of High End Luxury Items EVER won a Case Filed Against Them?

Tulip2

Howdy Y'all
Oct 22, 2012
If so, I would love to hear from you. Here's my story. I'm getting rid of all of my Louis Vuitton collection to fund Chanel items. All authentic I assure you. I most always have a full set including a copy of the Original Receipt. They're all practically Brand New. Some have never been carried or used!
I recently sold a Special Ltd. Edition Zippy Wallet Paillettes (Sequin) that retailed for $1,100 for $700. The Buyer received it and left me Positive Feedback that said "Thank You". I, in turn, left her Positive Feedback. Bad move on my part. But I digress. I allow returns in 14 days for any reason at all. My only requirements are that the Security Tag be attached and they must pay shipping both ways.
She DID NOT WANT TO PAY THE SHIPPING, so she filed a case that "There's Something Wrong With the Item", then went on to explain that she took the wallet to LV and a SA there deemed it a fake.
I fought long & hard to win this one. She even admitted that the wallet was NOT A FAKE during the case discussion. You would think that eBay would side with me. On no no no! They agreed that the Buyer was correct. Now I'm on the hook for all of the shipping costs & as we all know shipping is not cheap for high end items.
I'm just in absolute shock! :amazed:
So, has any high end seller ever won a case filed against them by a buyer?

If so, I would love to hear from you. Here's my story. I'm getting rid of all of my Louis Vuitton collection to fund Chanel items. All authentic I assure you. I most always have a full set including a copy of the Original Receipt. They're all practically Brand New. Some have never been carried or used!
I recently sold a Special Ltd. Edition Zippy Wallet Paillettes (Sequin) that retailed for $1,100 for $700. The Buyer received it and left me Positive Feedback that said "Thank You". I, in turn, left her Positive Feedback. Bad move on my part. But I digress. I allow returns in 14 days for any reason at all. My only requirements are that the Security Tag be attached and they must pay shipping both ways.
She DID NOT WANT TO PAY THE SHIPPING, so she filed a case that "There's Something Wrong With the Item", then went on to explain that she took the wallet to LV and a SA there deemed it a fake.
I fought long & hard to win this one. She even admitted that the wallet was NOT A FAKE during the case discussion. You would think that eBay would side with me. On no no no! They agreed that the Buyer was correct. Now I'm on the hook for all of the shipping costs & as we all know shipping is not cheap for high end items.
I'm just in absolute shock! :amazed:
So, has any high end seller ever won a case filed against them by a buyer?

It's cases like this that make we want to end all of my listings and never sell there again! I'm so sorry you're going through this Tulip :hugs:

It's cases like this that make we want to end all of my listings and never sell there again! I'm so sorry you're going through this Tulip :hugs:
Awe thanks @smallfry! Actually, it is over. eBay decided in the Buyer's favor & that's it. What's odd about it is that she hasn't mailed it back to me yet! I wonder why? She fought me long & hard, then doesn't return the wallet ASAP to get her money back? I think that eBay will provide me with a Tracking # and that has not been received. But I could be mistaken. Maybe it will just show up.

I think I'm going to do just that after the Christmas buying Season. I think I'll go to either a Buy Out or a Consignment with Yoogi's or FP (maybe FP). I believe that this is the last straw for me and Evil Bay. But best of luck to you! :flowers:

Awe thanks @smallfry! Actually, it is over. eBay decided in the Buyer's favor & that's it. What's odd about it is that she hasn't mailed it back to me yet! I wonder why? She fought me long & hard, then doesn't return the wallet ASAP to get her money back? I think that eBay will provide me with a Tracking # and that has not been received. But I could be mistaken. Maybe it will just show up.

I think I'm going to do just that after the Christmas buying Season. I think I'll go to either a Buy Out or a Consignment with Yoogi's or FP (maybe FP). I believe that this is the last straw for me and Evil Bay. But best of luck to you! :flowers:
How long ago did this happen? Did you speak to a high claims rep at ebay? When she wins her case, she has a week or 10 days to send it back. When she does, you'll get a message from ebay.

i've never had a buyer file a case against me, but i'd just say that you can have whatever rule you want in your listing - like returns for 14 days, no returns, buyer must pay shipping both ways, and tag must be attached for returns, and etc. but you cannot actually enforce any of your rules on someone via ebay. rules in ebay listings are mainly deterrents. so, basically telling someone they have to pay shipping to/from and not return unless a tag is attached is a useless idea. sorry. there is a protection process for all buyers (whether they are being honest or scamming) and if they file the return in a specific way you always end up paying the return shipping. and you cannot leave anything but positive feedback for buyers. ebay does not allow sellers to leave a negative against a buyer. is this your first time trying ebay?? you might want to study up a bit more on the ebay forums so you don't run into issues ; selling lux products on there is very hard and risky. sorry this happened and i hope you get the item back in the condition you sent it.

Reactions: caannie
i've never had a buyer file a case against me, but i'd just say that you can have whatever rule you want in your listing - like returns for 14 days, no returns, buyer must pay shipping both ways, and tag must be attached for returns, and etc. but you cannot actually enforce any of your rules on someone via ebay. rules in ebay listings are mainly deterrents. so, basically telling someone they have to pay shipping to/from and not return unless a tag is attached is a useless idea. sorry. there is a protection process for all buyers (whether they are being honest or scamming) and if they file the return in a specific way you always end up paying the return shipping. and you cannot leave anything but positive feedback for buyers. ebay does not allow sellers to leave a negative against a buyer. is this your first time trying ebay?? you might want to study up a bit more on the ebay forums so you don't run into issues ; selling lux products on there is very hard and risky. sorry this happened and i hope you get the item back in the condition you sent it.
I've won cases against buyers for SNAD. I only had one claim fake, and she decided not to return after I convinced her it was authentic. If you take returns, a buyer claims SNAD, and you win the case, she can't turn around and use your regular return policy to return.

If a buyer claims SNAD and you accept the return, or ebay determines you must accept the return, the buyer can return anything they want to you. As long as tracking shows it was delivered back to you, it doesn't matter what is actually in the box. I just found out that if a buyer doesn't claim SNAD and takes advantage of your return policy, it also doesn't matter what she ships to you. If she doesn't admit that she altered the item, removed parts, or shipped the wrong thing, you still have to give her the refund.

You can report the buyer, and file a claim with Internet crimes.

I've won cases against buyers for SNAD. I only had one claim fake, and she decided not to return after I convinced her it was authentic. If you take returns, a buyer claims SNAD, and you win the case, she can't turn around and use your regular return policy to return.

If a buyer claims SNAD and you accept the return, or ebay determines you must accept the return, the buyer can return anything they want to you. As long as tracking shows it was delivered back to you, it doesn't matter what is actually in the box. I just found out that if a buyer doesn't claim SNAD and takes advantage of your return policy, it also doesn't matter what she ships to you. If she doesn't admit that she altered the item, removed parts, or shipped the wrong thing, you still have to give her the refund.

You can report the buyer, and file a claim with Internet crimes.
this reminds me of amazon and i ALWAYS wonder about their return policy. they refund you the second the return box is scanned in, i've sent a return and been refunded within 30 minutes of UPS picking up the box. but i always wonder "what if i sent them a brick?" it's bizarre and risky to refund people before you even know what you get back. i don't know how they do it for everyone... they must get back weird/broken/damaged stuff all the time

this reminds me of amazon and i ALWAYS wonder about their return policy. they refund you the second the return box is scanned in, i've sent a return and been refunded within 30 minutes of UPS picking up the box. but i always wonder "what if i sent them a brick?" it's bizarre and risky to refund people before you even know what you get back. i don't know how they do it for everyone... they must get back weird/broken/damaged stuff all the time
When you are big enough you can afford the loss. A certain percentage of people will try to cheat the system. They don't have to pay for people to adjudicate disputes and customers are happy. I've gotten packages from Amazon where something has spilled or broken. I'll call and they always give me a refund. The only time I was really annoyed was when I ordered a 2TB hard drive and they sent me a 1 TB. I didn't want to wait to return and get the correct part, so they gave me a $10 refund which was the difference in price between the 1 TB and 2 TB, but obviously the 2 TB was worth a lot more to me than a 1 TB.

Years ago I used to work for a large health care claims processor. The system was set up to flag claims that needed to be looked at by an examiner. When they went on strike, the computer system was changed to just pay all claims. It actually ended up being cheaper than paying all those salaries.

I win close to 95% of my cases as a seller. I could help you, but my services aren't free.

But, I'll be nice and tell you rule #1. Which, is never accept returns on your listing. The whole "it let's buyers buy with confidence" is a gimmick. Ebay just want's to act like a retailer (cough cough Amazon). The risks out weigh the benefits 10 fold.

With returns in your listing, it doesn't matter if the seller's item not as described case is valid or not, the fact that you accept returns over-writes the case. And guess what? the case isn't closed out as a return, it's closed out as an item not described case lost on your part defect. Again, the risks out weigh the benefits 10 fold.

Once ebay tells the buyer to send something back there isn't a way to undo it, even if they made an mistake. They will just tell you you'll get your item back and you can relist it.

Except this one time, a buyer claimed I sold him a fake Balmain jacket and ebay asked him for proof and he sent proof and they allowed him to return it. I later found out the proof letter came from a Macy's store (which doesn't sell Balmain to begin with) and the employee that wrote the letter works in household goods (you know pots/pans, forks and what not). Oh and that employee had the same last name as my buyer.... I'll save some details and just tell you he's fired now. As far as the case, I got the whole "it doesn't matter if the letter wasn't valid, your listing allowed returns so that's what our decision was based on". I then informed eBay my return policy also states a 50% restocking fee (hehe). Long story short, the buyer got his refund, I got my jacket back and the restocking fee? It was paid to me by eBay, every last cent of that $1,500 :biggrin:DDD

[QUOTE="ccbaggirl89, post: 30855759, member: 517391"]i've never had a buyer file a case against me, but i'd just say that you can have whatever rule you want in your listing - like returns for 14 days, no returns, buyer must pay shipping both ways, and tag must be attached for returns, and etc. but you cannot actually enforce any of your rules on someone via ebay. rules in ebay listings are mainly deterrents. so, basically telling someone they have to pay shipping to/from and not return unless a tag is attached is a useless idea. sorry. there is a protection process for all buyers (whether they are being honest or scamming) and if they file the return in a specific way you always end up paying the return shipping. and you cannot leave anything but positive feedback for buyers. ebay does not allow sellers to leave a negative against a buyer. is this your first time trying ebay?? you might want to study up a bit more on the ebay forums so you don't run into issues ; selling lux products on there is very hard and risky. sorry this happened and i hope you get the item back in the condition you sent it.[/QUOTE]
Wow, you've never had a buyer file a case against you? That's amazing! :amazed: I'm really happy for you. :smile:
Oh my goodness, I've been buying & selling on Evil Bay since 2004 I believe. Unfortunately, I own a small business and don't have the time to "study up" on eBay forums. I remember the days when we could leave neg fb for buyers. Man, those were the good 'ole days.
Oh no, I never thought about the buyer damaging my item & then sending back. Well, if that happens it will make me sad but I will just accept the $700 loss and continue to live my life. At this point I've filed a case with the San Jose BBB, and left negative fb on the same BBB. I know it's useless, but it makes me feel better...

I win close to 95% of my cases as a seller. I could help you, but my services aren't free.

But, I'll be nice and tell you rule #1. Which, is never accept returns on your listing. The whole "it let's buyers buy with confidence" is a gimmick. Ebay just want's to act like a retailer (cough cough Amazon). The risks out weigh the benefits 10 fold.

With returns in your listing, it doesn't matter if the seller's item not as described case is valid or not, the fact that you accept returns over-writes the case. And guess what? the case isn't closed out as a return, it's closed out as an item not described case lost on your part defect. Again, the risks out weigh the benefits 10 fold.

Once ebay tells the buyer to send something back there isn't a way to undo it, even if they made an mistake. They will just tell you you'll get your item back and you can relist it.

Except this one time, a buyer claimed I sold him a fake Balmain jacket and ebay asked him for proof and he sent proof and they allowed him to return it. I later found out the proof letter came from a Macy's store (which doesn't sell Balmain to begin with) and the employee that wrote the letter works in household goods (you know pots/pans, forks and what not). Oh and that employee had the same last name as my buyer.... I'll save some details and just tell you he's fired now. As far as the case, I got the whole "it doesn't matter if the letter wasn't valid, your listing allowed returns so that's what our decision was based on". I then informed eBay my return policy also states a 50% restocking fee (hehe). Long story short, the buyer got his refund, I got my jacket back and the restocking fee? It was paid to me by eBay, every last cent of that $1,500 :biggrin:DDD
So let me get this straight. You did not allow returns, but still had in your listing a 50% restocking fee?

:biggrin:DDD

So, you are saying that you would not help anyone without getting paid/rewarded for it? I thought that was the whole point of this site! I am happy to help anyone here with my minimal knowledge and have received aid without having to pay anyone. Color me confused.

So, you are saying that you would not help anyone without getting paid/rewarded for it? I thought that was the whole point of this site! I am happy to help anyone here with my minimal knowledge and have received aid without having to pay anyone. Color me confused.
Thank you for pointing this out @carlpsmom! I am so wrapped up in my own Evil Bay problem that this issue flew right by me without sinking in. I've never ever seen anyone on TPF asked to get paid for information. It seems to go against everything I know about this wonderful TPF forum. You're an Angel! :angel: