Harry Potter Book 7 - THE FINAL VERDICT - SPOILERS INCLUDED - PLEASE NOTE!!

Although I didn't believe Snape was a evil, and while I did feel bad for him in the end, I still think he was a greasy coward. He could have more than pleaded to Voldermort for Lily's life (he could have tried to save her), he could have shown more compasion for Lily's son instead of treating him with contempt all those years.

^^^ Well, I think as much as he loved Lily, and did want to protect Harry...he still hated James and enjoyed punishing Harry. Kind of a brotherly contempt kind of thing.

I'd wondered why Rowling always made a point of mentioning in all the books that Harry had his mother's green eyes. Then as Snape was dying and he asked Harry to look at him so he could see Lily's eyes one last time, it all made sense.

I was wondering if I was the only one that picked that up! So sad!

I'd wondered why Rowling always made a point of mentioning in all the books that Harry had his mother's green eyes. Then as Snape was dying and he asked Harry to look at him so he could see Lily's eyes one last time, it all made sense.

Oh Gosh! I never thought about that. Poor Snape. This makes me sad all over...

I think the Epilogue/19 Years Later chapter was Rowling's way of concluding the story so no one would be able to write more Harry Potter stories after she was gone. After all, someone wrote a crappy sequel to Gone With the Wind, 50 years after Margaret Mitchell died.

ITA on the sequel attempts. Jane Austen, too. There are some good ones, but still. Just had to say...

I just finished this morning and, JMHO, I thought this book was only so-so. I feel like what carried it was the characters and the image of them we already had in our heads, they are brilliant characters. But the plot lumbered to me, and I didn't see a lot of development among the supporting characters. By the end characters like Tonks and Lupin, who seemed like they could have been really interesting in this book, were just cannon fodder. I know it was a book about a war, and many people die in war, but the deaths seemed to hurried and sort of haphazard to me for a series that painstakingly developed its characters up to that point. Just my 2 cents. I'm waiting for the sequel series about the adventures of Teddy - after all, he's the new orphan of the group!

BTW, twinkletink, number 3 was by far my favorite too!

It took me 10 hours to read the book straight through. Unfortunately, I was very disappointed by the last book. I just don't feel like the storyline and writing style fit in with the spirit of the rest of the series. Parts of the storyline moved way too slowly. Also, I felt that a lot of it was somewhat cheesy.

However, I did enjoy the chapter on Snape very much. And I cried when Dobby died. Also loved all the stuff with Kreacher. The ending disappointed me though. After all the previous books, I thought that the ending should've been a lot darker. I wanted Ron and Hermione to die so that Harry would have to face Voldemort all alone at the end. With the way that everything was building up, I thought for sure that Harry would have to die. That would've been a better ending. And adding in the epilogue weakened the book but I understood why JK did that.

By the way, Mrs. Weaseley is kickass! I loved the fact that she called Bellatrix a ***** and killed her.

Although I didn't believe Snape was a evil, and while I did feel bad for him in the end, I still think he was a greasy coward. He could have more than pleaded to Voldermort for Lily's life (he could have tried to save her), he could have shown more compasion for Lily's son instead of treating him with contempt all those years.

snape probably hated harry more for being proof that james won lily's heart, not him. i bet snape wanted lily to have his kids, not james's. :P

What I don't understand is how come Voldemort failed to kill Harry with his Killing curse towards the end? The book explained that Voldemort and Harry share Lily's protection enchantment, so if one lives, the other can live. I just don't get it. Can someone please explain?

I think it had more to do with the wands than the protective enchantment. Voldemort was using the Elder wand against Harry, who had become the wand's master by disarming Draco at his house. The wand cannot be used against it's master and so the Unforgivable Curse could not kill Harry.

I have a few questions ...

- Horcruxes are for resurrection or for immortal
- If for resurrection, why didn't Voldy die when the killing spell backfired the first time in the Forrest.
- If for immortality, it'd make sense to me that Voldy died at the last chapter.

BUT, I alway thought Horcruxes are for resurrection since Voldy died the first time he attacked Harry when he was a baby.

Please help me ... with this. TIA =)

I think Horcruxes are for immortality. He never really died... he just was weakened to a state where he was close to death and went into hiding... that's why he "disappeared" and a lot of people thought he would come back one day

I just finished the book and personally loved the epilogue. Neville is my favorite character so I was pleased to read that he had become the Herbology teacher at Hogwarts.

My favorite parts of the book were when Kreacher finally began being nice to Harry, Hermione, and Ron after Harry gave him Regalus' locket; and the chapter where Harry learns the truth about Snape by looking at his memories through the Pensieve.

Out of all the Weasley's, I was almost sure that Percy was going to be the one to die, not Fred. I had visions of him throwing himself heroically in front of Ron (or one of the other Weasley's) to save them from a killing curse.

Several things I would have also liked to have been included:

Who is the new Headmaster at Hogwarts? We learn that Kingsley Shacklebolt becomes the interim Minister of Magic in the previous chapter, but other than Percy yelling about "broomstick regulations" on the platform, who took over for Snape?

What happened to Luna? And the rest of the Weasley's?

Where do Harry & Ginny and Ron & Hermione live? Does Harry move into #12 Grimmauld Place?

I know they are silly questions, but maybe JK Rowling will elaborate on the time between the ending of the last chapter and the epilogue one day.