Hammering the Ostrich

1. As some of you may have remembered, I mentioned that one knows one is addicted to Hermes when one tried to hammer down the ostrich bumps. Well, that was precisely what yours truly decided to do on one of her ostrich wrist wraps that she got for free a year ago. The result was definitely LESS than desirable and it made me appreciate Hermes even more~ Argh, HOW in the world do they push down the bumps? What utensil do they use? I NEED to flatten my wrist wrap~~~ Suggestions?

2. Hi Kou,
    I would feel better if you did not try to do it yourself, take /send it in to hermes, the craftsmen should be able to do it for you, ...the process may include other steps then just hammering, maybe they press it?:flowers:

3. Remember there was a thread about a former Hermes craftsman starting her own handbag business? I remember seeing a clip where she used a small hammer and tapped down on the bumps a few times to smooth out the skin. I would use an old hammer with the edges all rounded from use to prevent hammer marks tho. But I think you are better off leaving it alone, don't the bumps flatten over time with usage?

4. But this isn't Hermes so I probably can't have them do it, if they do it it'll probably cost more than the wrap . It's a free wrist wrap I got from Lolli by Reincarnation last year. I figure if I hammer it down, I wouldn't get goosebumps everytime I look at it. This is weird, I used to not mind the bumps but now that I'm into Hermes, the bumpy surface really bugs me.:lol:

5. Take it to a saddler or a furrier or somebody who knows how to treat leather and ask them to do it for you.

6. Yeah, the video of April in Paris with the girl hammering down the ostrich bumps was interesting. I would take your wrist strap also to a leather person and have them professionally hammer it down.

I know what you mean about the bumps. After seeing Hermüs ostrich, others just look weird. I once saw a Gucci ostrich bag and as much as it was gorgeous, there was something about the bumps that didn't look quite right.

7. After Hermes, I noticed that a lot of fashion houses don't bother hammering down their ostriches. The only two other brands where I saw a flatten ostrich skin are Chanel and VBH.

As for taking to a leather professional, I'm not sure if i want to spend the money to do it since the strap was free and I am 1/5 of the way of hammering. I'll show you guys a picture of my mess one of these days.:lol:

8. I am just laughing over the mental image of you taking a hammer to a poor, innocent watch strap!!! Kou >>>:smash: :smash: Me >>>>:roflmfao: :roflmfao:

9. "hammering the ostrich" sounds really suss................like something a teenage boy would do...........!!!!!

10. I had the same mental picture, sick minds think alike, LOL!

11. Huh? What? I don't get it.

12. Hi Kou, ...I know what you mean... I actually dislike ostrich...intensly :wtf: because of the "icky":throwup: bumps.. but I LOVE hermes ostrich, it is smooth. I do not know how they hammer it:noggin: :smash: ... but they hammer it good!:lol:

13. O.M.G. !!! HAHAHA!:roflmfao: :lol: :roflmfao: Kristie f... you bad!;)

14. Me too :sad:

15. ahem if i am not on the complete wrong track i think she ment something nasty!
    hammering the ostrich = nailing the chick = doing faulous bedsports with a girl = having a lady coming over for breakfast the night before
    ;) :graucho: