Halting the patina process...

tracy814

O.G.
Jul 19, 2007
I have been carrying my Neverfull for about a month now, and its starting to get a great patina - slightly darker than new, and a beautiful shade. I've gotten a few spots on the vachetta that I used baby wipes on, and I ordered a protective spray.

So now, I love the color, but am wondering if there's anything I can do to prevent it from getting a lot darker...magic eraser? Regular use of baby wipes? I don't mind a nice patina, I'm just afraid of dark dark. Epecially since my Azur Speedy is arriving this week, and I am worried about it too!!

Do you do any regular maintenance? Thanks!

I switch out my bags a lot, usually once every week, so they don't get dark... I get bored too when I use the same bag too long, that is bad huh?

I have bags that are 2 years old and still look almost NEW!

I'm curious...about...sun screen...:confused1:

this is my thought...

has anyone thought of this too? putting sun screen on the

leather...-_-

because if it's the sun that mainly makes the patina go darker...

i was wondering if sun screen would stop it...:Push:

hmmm...:confused1:

well. i think mr clean magic eraser slows it down. i have a mc mini hl, and it patinaed so fast! i cleaned all of the watermarks off of it, and i noticed that the colors of the handles were really uneven, so i tucked the darker handle into the bag, and let the bag sit by a window for 3 weeks. NOTHING HAPPENED! so i think magic eraser helps a bit.

I've used Shining Monkey spray on all my vachetta and while I don't think anything can truly halt the process 100%, mine seem to be gradually moving into nice patinas but they are all just around a year old or less. I also don't use any of mine everyday so they are often in dustbags so maybe that helps?

As far as the post about using sunscreen, I would be extremely careful about that as I would worry the other chemicals and moisturizers would really stain the vachetta and damage it.

I'm curious...about...sun screen...:confused1:

this is my thought...

has anyone thought of this too? putting sun screen on the

leather...-_-

because if it's the sun that mainly makes the patina go darker...

i was wondering if sun screen would stop it...:Push:

hmmm...:confused1:

I wear sunscreen everyday, and sometimes the sunscreen rubs off from my arms or hands and gets on my bags. From my experience, it makes the patina DARKER. :sad:

IMO, nothign creates darker patina faster than heat. So don't leave bags in a warm place. If you live in warm climate, the bags patina faster.

Magic Eraser is too strong so I only use if i get my bag dirty and nothign else can clean it. I've only been spraying Shinning Monkey on my bags.

I sprayed my Speedy's handles with Wilson's leather spray when I first got it. Whenever I am not using my Speedy, I keep it in a dustbag away from heat and light. I think this has really helped to slow down the patina process. I've had my Speedy for a year and the vachetta still looks really light.
As for sunscreen, I would think that the oils in it would make the leather darker, similar to how lotions and body oils making the handles darken.