Halle Berry Makes Antisemitic Comment on 'Tonight Show'

1. (BANG Showbiz) - Halle Berry has been forced to apologise after making an anti-Semitic joke on a US talk show. The Oscar-winning beauty - who is currently pregnant with her first child - was showing chat show host Jay Leno and his audience distorted images of herself when she made the faux pas. When holding up a photograph of her with a larger nose, she quipped she looked like her Jewish cousin.

One audience member told the New York Post newspaper: "She introduced the first photo by saying, 'Here's where I look like my Jewish cousin!' - it was a picture of her with a huge, distorted nose. No one laughed, and Jay nervously said, 'I'm glad you said that and not me.' When the show aired, they cut out her 'Jewish' comment and added a laugh track to the bit."

Halle later apologised for her remarks, insisting she didn't mean any offence. She said: "I so didn't mean to offend anybody - and after the show I realised it could be seen as offensive, so I asked Jay to take it out, and he did.

"I was backstage before the show and I have three girls who are Jewish who work for me. We were going through pictures to see which ones looked silly, and one of my Jewish friends said of the big-nose picture, 'That could be your Jewish cousin!' And I guess it was fresh in my mind, and it just came out of my mouth. But I didn't mean to offend anybody. I didn't. I didn't mean any harm."

I know she didn't mean anything by it, but hopefully this teaches her to REALLY watch what she says in the future. What's funny and harmless in one context could be hurtful and offensive in another.
  2. LOL. Welcome to the dark side, Halle. She still finds racist jokes funny I bet. She just won't say it again publicly because it'll ruin her oh-so-sweet image. Oh please.

P.S. did she get a nose job or something?
  3. I'm sure she's mortified. Who among us hasn't popped out with the inappropriate remark, thinking it's funny, once in a while?
  4. we all make mistakes ....
  5. Woops.....well we all have our moments I guess.
  6. opsy.
  7. Everybody sticks their foot in their mouth on occasion.
  8. I think the world today is a little paranoid. We can't make a joke, a harmless joke, because eerybody will think you're racist. But when someone like Sarah Silverman is making a really disrespectful, not funny and really disguting joke about just one person everyone's laughing.
    Maybe we shouldn't really take everything so serious. It was a joke, she didn't do anything wrong for me. I think we went a little too far with what we call 'political correctness'. You can't make a harmless and funny joke these days?
  9. I completely agree Karo. I feel sorry for Halle! I think we've gone politically correct crazy!
  10. She said she was joking with her Jewish assistants or friends and they did not find it offensive. Lighten up! There is more pressing issues in the world...
  11. she is completly harmeless...it wasn't the right thing to say but she would never be like that intentionally.

Shouldn't the media be focusing on more important issues?

12. Exactly....
  13. Ugh, this is ridiculous. Racist is a very big word for a comment like that. There are worse (racist) things happening in this world.
  14. Im not jewish, but my race is very similarly known for large noses had she replaced jewish with my race i totally would not be offended. its an observation, that she made a funny comment about, not an attack there is a huge difference.

15. ITA that was not RACIST, people need to get the definition and then they will know. Poor Halle, the media and moron who told the NY POST need a life.