Hair Volume Help Please!

Mar 30, 2006
I am a child of the 80s and I don't have any problem getting volume in my hair with a perm, but now that perms as so "out" AND I have turned to coloring my hair, I can't go that route anymore. I use root lift and volumizing products and my hair is great all around, its just flat on top. I was texturizing it for awhile and that helped, but now that my hair is longer it doesn't look right to do that.

I roll it, I spray it, I dry it from root to the ends and I tease it. I just can't get much volume on top. I would especially like some volume when I pull the top part of my hair up but I am at a loss. I have thick hair but it is fine. Its layered but only from about my ears down.

Does anyone have any ideas??? I'd appreciate it!!!

Try Aussie real volume styling mousse

*John Frieda has a great thickening spray

*Paves Flawless red carpet firm hold repairing styling mousse- the formula is sticky but provides lift for up to 15 hours

I think you would get great advice from a hairdresser.
I have fine long hair.....so I have many tips for volume.
-the fact you have layers different lenghts is what every hair dresser recommends.Maybe some of your top layers need to be shorter.
-Use a volumizing shampoo/serum
-Put a thickening cream but be careful not to put too much bc it tends to add weight on the hair.
-when blow drying your hair do it head upside down and really blow on to the roots top of your head.
....that works for me.

i love making my hair poofy on the crown of my head; however, it rarely stays that way because i lack the proper hairspray. recommendations on hairspray products that will hold great volume would be appreciated =)

Non-hairspray products that work amazingly:
bigsexyhair WHAT A TEASE Backcomb in a bottle
Paul Mitchell Thicken up (best when used before round brushing)

Hairspray:
Hands down...
Schwartzkopf's OSIS Freeze hairspray.

Bumble & Bumble Thickening Spray is great :nuts: When I blow dry my hair with a round brush, I usually spray some on and blow dry it upside down for a bit, then continue styling as normal. It provides a ton of volume and is nowhere near heavy or greasy.

Bumble and bumble is good, but hard to come by where I live. I'm currently using Frederic Fekkai's Coif Bouffant Lifting and Texturizing spray gel and it's pretty awesome.