Hair Help!

Misdy

Jul 2, 2007
I'm kind of new here, but I've been reading posts for a bit and I'm hoping someone can give me some hair advice.

Over the last year, I've been growing my hair out... it's super fine, completely straight, a bit thin, and now it reaches midway down my back. I've never had hair this long and I don't know what to do with it! It looks so boring.

I'm going back to school in a couple weeks, and I really want to start wearing it sort of curled/wavy, so it has some body and loose curls. The problem is, I've never really curled my hair. I tried last week with a curling iron, which took forever, and then it fell out after a couple hours because it's so straight.

What's the best way to curl my hair? Should I get curlers I sleep in? A different kind of curling iron? I'm wondering if curlers will be more time efficient in the mornings.

What kind of styling product should I use to keep the curls in? I can't use hair spray because I'm allergic - is there something else I can use?

Edit: I could also use advice on shampoo/conditioner that are detangling and volumizing - My hair gets so tangled. I've been using Jonathan Product and Phyto stuff but I'm not really happy with it.

With your hair being as long as it is, it is unlikely to hold much curl. But with that being said, I would suggest the hair rollers that heat with steam, and I like the Caruso brand. They are very healthy for hair and set the curl very well. You can do this in the morning and let it set while you do your makeup. I think you would end up with very pretty waves. There are setting lotions you can use in damp hair for setting a curl so you can avoid hairspray.

As for shampoo and conditioner, I am a completely devoted fan of Ojon. It is sold at Sephora, Ulta and QVC (as well as their websites). I have a head full of super fine hair that I bleach, and this does the trick for me.

MY hair is super fine and straight and for all my life it would not hold a curl. I could use a curling iron, curlers or what ever and it would look good but then in a few hours drop out. I don't think it is worth going against the texture of your straight hair to try to curl it. You will end up with damaged hair if you are using all thest heating products on it. I did see in the drugstore these gold foil rag roll type rollers that you roll you hair up in and then put a blow dryer to it to make it curl. I was going to try it on my daughter with hair below her shoulders but we haven't had the time to do it.
When you have super fine hair the longer it is the easier it is to look greasy. I have read that with fine hair the best cut it a blunt cut above the shoulders. I think of Posh Spice and how great all these new blunt cuts look. The hair looks full and easy to upkeep.