H Bags and Airports?

I carry my Birkins in another big cotton tote (I have 2 different sizes, one that fits the 35 and one that fits the 30)... it wokrs great and I don't worry about my bags on the plane floor or on the dirty belts/grubby security hands. The other plus is that I look poor with my ugly cotton totes so I don't need to worry about getting mugged :P

my birkin has been in and out of xrays, under the seat, slid along the floor while I've waited in security lines, squished under seats, etc. it's pretty floopy, but recently back from the spa and looking good. It's a black grainy leather, of course I'd worry more about a lighter color/more delicate skin, but, in the end, these bags are meant to be used!

I usually travel with a togo Kelly and if it's a dark color I don't bother with the Pliage but if it's the gold color I use a dustbag placed inside a Pliage. I've even put my chocolate togo on the plane floor sometimes. So far i haven't had any problem but after reading this thread I am rethinking if perhaps I should be more careful.
I haven't had any mishaps with my bags but it's quite the opposite with myself and my clothes. I always travel with extra clothes on long flights because I've had all sorts of mess, from mildly to totally disgusting type, visited upon me by (my own, thank heavens) small children.

LOL -- before love.vivien's post today, this thread was from 2008!

:back2topic:

My only H-bag is an Evelyne, not as precious as a Birkin or Kelly, but still quite precious to me! Before traveling to Europe last summer, I purchased a set of lightweight, reusable totes from envirosax. For airports, I just drop my Evelyne into a tote, and haul it over my shoulder. Protects it while going through security (and yes, those bins can get gross!) as well as on the plane. I tie the handles together at the top and just stuff it under the seat in front of me. No worries at all! My DH pointed out that nobody could see (or admire) my Hbag all covered up like that, but believe me, my point in carrying the Evelyne is not to impress people at airports, :lol:!

I put in the sleeper bag one I have for travel and a bin and then place the bag lying down if possible that has made my travel with birkins and kellys pretty straight forward so ...... No problems yet thank god except one , Charles de Gaulle they wanted to check inside my birkin with no gloves on thank God I had a spare gave them to the woman at security she chuckled and put them on sort of got the message French in the end !!!!

all my bags are workhorses and i'm not afraid of a couple of scratches and dings and bumps; they add character. my only complaint with travel is that i hate having to bend the handles of my B 40 to fit it under the seat in front.

I generally try to keep whatever bag I'm traveling with in my carry on until I get through security. I only keep my ID, phone, passport, boarding pass in my hand. Once I'm through security, I remove it from my carry on. This eliminates the need for the security guards to touch it and go through it. Everything is scanned at one time when they scan my carry on bag. They only need to go through it if I'm chosen for one of those random searches.

When I'm packing my carry on, I make sure there is a space at the top for whatever Hermes bag I'm traveling with for that trip.

Traveling is a filthy sport, no matter how you want to see it. Nothing will make it germ free if the H bag will go on travel, that's the reality.

Avoiding damage, stain and scratches is a reasonable goal to have.

1. Take a large garbage bag with you - That will be my idea :smile:
in expensive, disposable and good for rain/bad weather.
2. A Tumi Tumi Just in Case™ Tote
External Dimensions in Inches: 14" x 23" x 9"
I have an older version but I think the item should be great at least as a sleeve type
to navigate through flight bins.
And yes, bins are filthy because I use a wheeling boarding tote for example that goes
from the floor to the bin :smile:, especially wheeling computer bags are filthy too
The foldable tote is similar like a Longchamp item, but I guess even more foldable and
less expensive.
3. I would think one of those recyclable oversize grocery or big gift bags to promote "green" should do the trick too...I know they are available, large printed
laminated shopping bags

Attachments

• pTUMI1-8854127v400.jpg
    pTUMI1-8854127v400.jpg
    26.3 KB · Views: 52
This trip(stay for 3 months) I traveled w/ my open 35 kelly containing my check-in and boarding doc's in her dust bag and muji foldable sack easy to carry over the shoulder. The following 30B nested into 32/HAC nested and fitted w/ their own dust bags in a heavy duty shopping bag. Lastly, the 40B also in the dust bag and housed in a disposable shoulder carry.

I maybe the only one but I don't like the pilage w/ the zipper around the center in a solid color .. so i always opt for a disposable, if it gets dirty, i don't care and toss it out bag. This serve me well and worry free every time.

On my return trip, I did pick up a slate muji foldable carry all for the 40B in the largest size .. a perfect fit and w/ room to add any DFS purchases w/out worries .. unisex too! The straps are very comfortable and don't slide easily, which was my main concern for shoulder carrying a 40B. Another plus, this muji fabric was quite water resistant when we were caught in a passing shower. So now, I dont leave home w/out this foldable bag and my MOMA umbrella ~_^!

I'm thinking of picking up smaller size foldables for the 30B and the 32HAC Very shoulder friendly and useful for groceries and libations .. HTH!