H Bags and Airports?

Talking about putting your bags under your seat: I heard on the news about one Japanese lady who absolutely refused putting her new Gucci bag under her seat and have gotten in all sorts of trouble with the crew on her plane. I am very sympathetic with her.

didn't she hold the whole plane up for hours and end up being forced to get off the plane? that's just completely insane, if you're that paranoid about your bag you shouldn't be flying commercial. more likely than that you need your head examining if you think your bag is more important than flight safety. if i had been on that plane i certainly wouldn't have been happy to be delayed because i happened to be on the same plane as a complete lunatic.

In Europe, a lot of people carry huge trolley bags on board, and the wheels of those have been everywhere, so there's no way the bins can be clean!

but who puts wheely bags in the bins :confused1: they usually wouldn't even fit! i don't ever recall seeing a dirty bin, although on a rainy day flying out of london i can see how it would be possible since you have to take your shoes off there.

the furthest i'd go in the name of "bag safety" is putting it into a le pliage, i sometimes do that anyway for the security check with the one bag rule in the uk (which fortunately is only in force for another three or four days :wlae: :yahoo: :nuts: ), other than that i think people get far too paranoid.

I don't carry Hermes while traveling as a rule. However, I will pack a flat bag like a Trim or my Drag bag for use during the trip in my carryon. I do have a Pilage just in case I do want to take a larger bag and I would put it in the Pilage. I watch everything going thru the security like a hawk and practically crawl into the bin as it is going thru. I am always worried that I will get separated from the bin and things could be stolen. It has happened and there are thieves dedicated to doing just that!

i flew with my bj swift birkin unprotected on the way to my second home from ny to LA, but protected on the way back from LA.

on the way there, i put it in the bin, carefully; prescanned the bin it was going into and lay it flat with my pashmina inside of it, so the interior stuff didn't fall out. i didn't have a problem.

i also put it under the seat in front of me, with no issues. i just wasn't so stressed out about it. it did get a little bit of a beating, but i personally like the "used" bag look.

on the way back, b/c i was on a red eye flight and would probably be a little more clumsy and knew that there was rainy weather back east, i put into my XL pliage duffle bag for precaution.

I read this tread this morning and spent the rest of the day worrying about the day I will have to put down my birkin on dirty trays at the airport. Not to mention no handsome prince charming to come to my rescue....

This is not a new idea (some other member mentioned it first). But I think every one of us should own a Longchamp LePliage bag to use as dust bag. And rain coat as well. We can easily navigate through the airport hiding our babies in one of these and wear it on our shoulders, and only take it out when the time is right.

Personally, I'd pick the orange LePliage.

Attachments

• hb_longchamp_f07_pliage_colors_sp.jpg
    hb_longchamp_f07_pliage_colors_sp.jpg
    21 KB · Views: 292
There are variations of this thread waaaaay back...hard to know how to search for them (I only mention that as an apology for repeating myself below.)
I don't take H bags to sun/sand vacations, only work travel and travel to Europe. When I do, it is typically the 35 black clemence Birkin. I lay it flat in the gray plastic bin, no problem, bin always looks *OK*. If it did not, I would whip out the thin plastic bag (trash bin liner) that I have stashed inside for unexpected rain situations.
On the plane, I put the bag on the floor, closure side facing the seat behind me, my calves against the bag of the bag, and hide it all with a blanket in my lap. Have never had a problem with that.
That said...I once made the mistake of traveling to Palm Beach with my fuchsia ostrich Birkin. (Hey if that bag doesn't scream PB then what does?) Well, I discovered a HIDEOUS large wet spot on the bottom of the bag, hours later...I have NO idea what it was or where it came from, but my best guess is the floor of the plane. I thought I was going to die. I gently wetted and blotted it, blending the edges, and it dried to near perfection. A tiny spot of dye loss that is practically invisible.
Never again.

I'm thinking about the navy with the grey stripe, or almond green and black stripe. Long handles med size for the 32 K. I like the idea of over the shoulder if need be. I'm lovin' all the color choices!!!!!

didn't she hold the whole plane up for hours and end up being forced to get off the plane? that's just completely insane, if you're that paranoid about your bag you shouldn't be flying commercial. more likely than that you need your head examining if you think your bag is more important than flight safety. if i had been on that plane i certainly wouldn't have been happy to be delayed because i happened to be on the same plane as a complete lunatic.

but who puts wheely bags in the bins :confused1: they usually wouldn't even fit! i don't ever recall seeing a dirty bin, although on a rainy day flying out of london i can see how it would be possible since you have to take your shoes off there.

the furthest i'd go in the name of "bag safety" is putting it into a le pliage, i sometimes do that anyway for the security check with the one bag rule in the uk (which fortunately is only in force for another three or four days :wlae: :yahoo: :nuts: ), other than that i think people get far too paranoid.

I agree with everything you said, 1000%. :tup:

I just completed a whirlwind USA West Coast tour over 12 days, from Sydney and back. There were EIGHT flights in all. My Raisin Togo Birkin went through the scanners, was placed under the seat on the US domestic flights and in the overhead compartment on the long-haul flights. Now back in Sydney, I can report that my Raisin Togo Birkin performed very well. Not a mark anywhere (although she may be a tad more floopy now, due to all the use).

I've never seen a dirty tray in Europe, but then we don't have to take our shoes off. And all the stuff has to be on a tray, not on the conveyor belt on its own, so I have no worries putting my stuff through the security check. And I always take off everything that even possibly might beeb (watch, bracelets, belts, keys, coins, whatnot..) when I walk through the machine, I wouldn't want to leave the bag on its own on the conveyor belt without me seeing it every second while an officer checks me out, so EVERYTHING remotedly metallic goes into the bag.

And then again, they are only bags... I worry more about my cc's and passport :smile:

Agreed. This would not be my first concern while travelling.

I just go for it...place it in the bin (looking for *obvious* problems)...make sure ... the clochette is tucked inside so it won't catch on anything and have not had any problems. Under the seat? Yes...wrapped in my coat (winter) or barely under the seat in summer on a magazine. I have done this with my birkin and my bolides (35 and 31 respectively) and all has been fine. My favorite travel combo is my large GP and a 31cm Bolide tucked inside w/requisite knitting...all H all the time!