Guide to New York/Hermes trip

^^I was planning to go to Hermes in the afternoon, but I now plan to go after opening, what time does the store open? I heard there are usually people waiting outside the store every morning before the store opens.

So many restaurant choices! I want to try them all!

At Bergdorf, on the 2nd floor there is a huge Manolo (and other shoes) sale going on! The Manolo sale at Manolo B. store starts on January 2 I think.
So far Winter has been warm-ish and fairly dry, I don't think there should be problems with ANY leather bags. I hope you have a wonderful trip!

i pretty much agree with the other gals about restaurants and shopping--soho is also fun to stroll around, a great jewelry shop called Fragments as well as oodles of other stores... the mercer kitchen is great for brunch or lunch, balthazar has great food too and I love Aqua Grill for dinner, an oldie but such a goodie. Bleeker street is also a good shopping destination for some smaller funkier boutiques and it's in the charming West Village. And if you go to C21 have a drink at the Tribeca hotel, there's a great restaurant nearby called Landmark, cozy, great food and loads of wines including half bottles all w/barely a markup so you can try a bunch...hmm why do I know all the places to get a drink....anyway Odeon's also down there, another classic that won't disapoint and good for groups

I wish you lots of fun in NYC ... hey, Grey Papaya's is also cool! Only in NYC!
la vanguardia, you are so right...
can't forget gray's papaya, a true new york experience! :drool:
although the orange drink is the most popular,
my favorite is the pina colada.
there is a gray's papaya on 8th street and sixth avenue,
and one on 72nd street and broadway,
and i think the newest one is on the corner of 38th street and eighth avenue.

i live on long island, right out of NYC and it's not cold at all! when are you planning on coming? right now its like 54 degrees, it's usually freezing & snowing but for the past month we've had spring weather, but who knows? it could get colder but i don't think anytime soon

amkur, and others planning to visit the big apple, and my fellow new yorkers:

one more restaurant/cafe to add to your list...

we had a great new year's day brunch at max brenner: chocolate by the bald man,
in its second location, @141 2nd avenue (9th street).
this location seems to be more local, less hectic.
(the original one is in union square, @841 broadway.)

this cafe/restaurant/chocolate shop is definitely not for dieters!
for those chocolate lovers, it's sweetly dangerous!
i had a delicious hot white chocolate drink
and a tasty crepe with eggs and cheese and ham.

they also have chocolate pizza and
chocolate croissants and waffles with fruit (with chocolate sauce, of course),
and chocolate gooey desserts, to name just a few of the decadent goodies.

fun! fantastic! fattening!
there is also a retail store in the back
with mugs and glasses and candies and more chocolates!
:drool: :drool: :drool: :drool:

btw, miracle or miracles, i didn't get a drop of chocolate on my bj evelyne2!
:yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo:

Btw shoppingbaglady, I like the name of that restaurant..."the chocolate bald man" :lol:
his caricature is on the walls, menus and napkins of the restaurant.

from new york magazine review:
Few legal substances exert as strong a pull as chocolate, which might explain the slightly dazed and practically drooling crowds streaming in and out of Max Brenner: Chocolate by the Bald Man, the glitzy new Union Square emporium that’s part retail sweetshop, part café, and all slickly packaged cocoa-*scented theme park. With its vats of swirling molten chocolate, its ceiling pipes painted to resemble *Oompa-*Loompa–esque cocoa conduits, and the goofy *chocolate-*centric slogans scribbled everywhere, it’s hard to separate the place from the superslick marketing plan. For the *chocolate-*obsessed New Yorker, intimately familiar with the single-origin oeuvre of everyone from Jacques Torres to La Maison du Chocolat’s Robert Linxe, one question is even more pressing than whether to sample the chocolate bagel or the chocolate pizza: Who is this Max Brenner,[/B] and how come I’ve never heard of him?

The answer is bittersweet. Just as there is no Johnny Rocket and, sadly, no Chuck E. Cheese, there is no living, breathing Max Brenner—well, not really. The name is actually a composite of two Israeli marketing geniuses, Max Fichtman and Oded Brenner, who launched the business ten years ago in Ra’anana and sold it to Strauss-Elite (Israel’s version of Kraft), which now operates outposts and franchises from Melbourne to Makati City. Somewhere over the course of spreading the chocolate gospel, the *European-trained (and sufficiently bald) chocolatier Oded Brenner has adopted the *Wonka-like persona of “Max Brenner.” These days, he can generally be found at his newest location, expediting orders, munching chocolate-covered toast, and ensuring that the venture continues to position itself as the joyful antithesis of the intimidating realm that, his press materials assert, haute chocolate inhabits. Trouble is, Brenner’s self-proclaimed “new worldwide chocolate culture” comes off as just the sort of *tourist-*targeting spectacle you’d expect to find in Times Square, animated with loud Euro-*accented house music and an abundance of overwrought, often overly sweet concoctions.