Guide For Coach Product Grades and Markings

katev

"The Bag Whisperer!"
O.G.
Dec 18, 2009
I’ve just shared some info about ways to recognize different types of Coach products in another post and several people have commented that it was very helpful; so I am going to expand on the information and post it here along with some pictures. I hope that it will help others in the future. Feel free to add your tips, comments, and corrections to help TPFers recognize and distinguish Coach products.

FP (boutique) and MFF Products:

Coach makes 2 main categories of products. The bags on their web site are sold on the Coach web site and at the boutiques and department stores like Macys and Nordstrom (along with a small number of online exclusives.) These are full price (FP) retail bags but you can sometimes find them on sale at the department stores or at the Coach boutiques during periodic Preferred Customer Events (PCE) sales, usually at 25% off or $100 off.

When a new line of FP bags comes out, the overstock FP bags are often discounted and sold at the outlets and also through Coach's online factory sale. These bags are called FP deletes here on TPF, but the staff at the outlets usually call them "transfer bags" because they were transferred from the boutique.

Finding a great FP delete boutique bag at the outlet for a deep discount is something that will make any Coachie happy! The suggested retail price shown on the tag is the actual price these bags sold for in the boutiques and department stores.

The second group of products that Coach makes is called Made For Factory (MFF) and they are sold directly from the outlet stores and during Coach’s Factory Online sales events. These are nice, well-made and attractive bags but they usually not quite as finely-made or detailed as the boutique bags. You can identify an MFF bag because the second set of numbers (the style number) on the creed patch inside the bag always begins with an F. Also, a similar grade of products can sometimes be found at discount stores like Marshalls and they will have an X on the creed patch.

Many of the bags you commonly see being carried in public areas are MFF bags from the outlets. The MSRP printed on the tags of these bags has been marked up and then immediately sold at a discount, so it seems like you are getting an even better deal at the outlet.

However, you may find a great deal on an MFF bag that has been discounted or moved into clearance (marked down and then another 50% off.) Some FP delete bags also go to clearance at the outlets and that's a wonderful thing!

The outlets used to have "coupon sales" but recently they've changed the price structure to include the coupon in the discounted price and they've the eliminated coupons.

The outlets are also a great place to find accessories, and smaller items, both MFF and FP deletes. These items usually don’t have a creed patch inside but you can tell the difference by looking at the cloth “Made in …” tag. The MFF items have a white dot on the tag and the FP deletes do not have a dot.

You can also find discounted FP delete key fobs at the outlets. They used to sell FP delete jewelry and watches but last year they started selling these exclusively online, in the boutiques, or during their online factory sales.

You will need an invitation to buy during the online factory sale but all you have to do is register for it (link below) and you will get an invitation for the next sales event. They sell both MFF and FP delete items during these sales, but mostly MFF. https://www.coachfactory.com/store/default/signuprequest/

In the next message I will post abbreviations and creed marking along with some pictures. Feel free to expand on the list!

Abbreviations and Symbols on Items With a Creed Patch:

Coach has used many variations in their serial numbers and creeds over the years and you can find loads of information about them, and how to distinguish fakes from genuine bags, under the Authenticity Questions Thread at the below:
http://forum.purseblog.com/coach-shopping/answers-to-authenticity-questions-94198.html

But here are some markings that Coach adds to the serial number or stamps on the creed patch to indicate specific types of bags, I have also attached some pictures below. Feel free to add additional abbreviations and photos!

Bullet (target or bullseye symbol) = Full price boutique bag sold at the outlet for a discount (FP Delete)

F after the serial number's hyphen = Made for Factory bag, sold only at the outlets or online factory sale

X = An MFF grade bag sold at a discount store like Marshalls

M = A boutique grade bag made exclusively for Macys

N = A boutique grade bag made exclusively for Nordstroms

FS (or 2 bullet stamps) = final sale (extra discount was given but Coach won’t accept return or repair requests)

ES = employee sale, sold to a Coach employee at a discount (may also void returns/repairs?)

P = Pilot bag, a test product that may not have ever gone into production

Don’t worry too much about the numbers/letter that appear in front of the hyphen, they indicate the month and year of manufacture and the plant code/country. That’s helpful information when you are trying to identify or authenticate a specific bag; but in the beginning it is helpful just remember that F after the hyphen means MFF bag and a bullet on the creed patch means FP delete sold at a discount at the outlet.

Below are photos of some of these markings.

Picture #1: Boutique Bag, this bag was probably sold at a boutique or department store, there is no bullet on the creed and there is no F after the hyphen. We call this an full price (FP) bag but you may have gotten it on sale at the department store or during a PCE event at the Coach boutique.

Picture #2: FP Delete (or transfer bag). This bag was probably sold at a discount at an outlet/factory store. There is no F after the hyphen and there is a bullet (bullseye) symbol on the creed patch to prevent someone from returning it for full price.

Picture #3: MFF bag (I borrowed this pic from ebay.) The F after the hyphen indicates that it was made for the outlet. The MSRP on the tag has been inflated and then immediately marked down. A similar grade bag that was sold at a discount store like Marshalls or Loehmanns may have an X instead of an F.

Picture #4: 2 Bullet Stamps (or sometimes they use an "FS" stamp) indicates that the bag was sold “as is” as a final sale with an extra discount, but Coach will not let you return it or accept it for repairs.

In the next message I will post info and pics about markings on items without creed patches.

Attachments

• FP_Boutique_Creed.jpg
    FP_Boutique_Creed.jpg
    76.7 KB · Views: 34,614
  • FP_delete_w_bullet.jpg
    FP_delete_w_bullet.jpg
    66.7 KB · Views: 33,376
  • MFF_creed_patch.jpg
    MFF_creed_patch.jpg
    22.7 KB · Views: 34,800
  • FP_bag_final_sale_2_bullets.jpg
    FP_bag_final_sale_2_bullets.jpg
    58.5 KB · Views: 34,073
Markings on Items without Creed Patches:

Many wallets, smaller bags, and other accessories do not have a creed patch but you can usually distinguish the boutique (FP) items from the made for factory (MFF) items by looking inside at the cloth tag listing the country of manufacture.

These are usually (but not always) small brown or black cloth “Made in …” tags with white lettering. The MFF items will have a white dot on the tag and the FP items will NOT have a dot.

Below are are some pictures to illustrate these markings. In the next message I will post some comments about dustbags.

Picture #1: “Made in” tag without a white dot indicates a boutique (FP) item.

Picture #2: “Made in” tag with a white dot indicates a made for factory store MFF item (I borrowed this pic from HappyBag).

Attachments

• FP_wallet_no_dot.jpg
    FP_wallet_no_dot.jpg
    68.5 KB · Views: 35,012
  • MFF_white_dot_tag.jpg
    MFF_white_dot_tag.jpg
    50.9 KB · Views: 32,763
Dustbags:

The boutique and FP delete bags usually come with a cloth drawstring dustbag inside (also called a sleeper bag) to be used for storage. The MFF bags never come with a dustbag, but you can't go by the presence or absence of a dustbag alone.

Sometimes you will find a FP delete bag at the outlet without the dustbag because somebody returned it without one. The best way to different the various products is to learn to read the creed patch or tags inside the item, see posts above.

The colors and materials that coach uses for dustags have changed several times over the years. Currently they are including silky white or cream bags with brown lettering and drawstrings, or silky brown bags with cream lettering and strings. Older coach bags dustbags were often made of brown linen with red strings and lettering.

The outlet stores frequently offer small, thin white cotton dustbags with brown string and lettering for fobs and other small items. They do not provide any dustbags for MFF purses.

My next post will just be final comments about buying online and from non-Coach vendors.

Buying from non-Coach vendors:

There are many genuine items available new and used from reputable non-coach online vendors and from thrift stores and consignment stores; but be cautious because there are a lot of fakes out there and some of the online fakers use Coach in the names of their stores and steal genuine pictures from the Coach website to sell fake products! It is an illegal trademark infringement to sell/buy fakes even if the are marked as replica items. (And who wants to carry a flimsy, cheap fake anyway?!)

If you want to buy something from a non-Coach vendor then be sure to post the information and photos in the Authentication thread at the link below so the experts can tell you if it is a legitimate vendor/item. Use the format shown in the first post under the thread to ask your questions.
http://forum.purseblog.com/coach-shopping/authenticate-this-coach-694619.html

I hope that some of you will find this information helpful and will add your own comments and photos so that this resource will continue to grow and offer value to Coachies! KateV

Dustbags:

The boutique and FP delete bags usually come with a cloth drawstring dustbag inside (also called a sleeper bag) to be used for storage. The MFF bags never come with a dustbag, but you can't go by the presence or absence of a dustbag alone.

Sometimes you will find a FP delete bag at the outlet without the dustbag because somebody returned it without one. The best way to different the various products is to learn to read the creed patch or tags inside the item, see posts above.

The colors and materials that coach uses for dustags have changed several times over the years. Currently they are including silky white or cream bags with brown lettering and drawstrings, or silky brown bags with cream lettering and strings. Older coach bags dustbags were often made of brown linen with red strings and lettering.

The outlet stores frequently offer small, thin white cotton dustbags with brown string and lettering for fobs and other small items. They do not provide any dustbags for MFF purses.

My next post will just be final comments about buying online and from non-Coach vendors.

Correction: Although the small dustbags from the Men's Outlet have brown letters and string but the bags from the regular factory outlet (Women's) store have red letters and string.

WOW...very nice of u to go through all this help helps us all out! I really appreciate all the time and effort u put into this thread and this info really cleared up some things for me.

Just one thing..I might buy a bag thats a FS and I also thought that warranty and repair services are void so I called random stores and spoke to many mangers and they ALL said///all coach bags can be repaired no matter how much or where u purchased them from...I specifically told them that they are Final Sale items and have the dots on the patch and they ALL said..thats fine...any coach bag can be sent in for repair...im curious now to know the truth..thanks!

WOW...very nice of u to go through all this help helps us all out! I really appreciate all the time and effort u put into this thread and this info really cleared up some things for me.

Just one thing..I might buy a bag thats a FS and I also thought that warranty and repair services are void so I called random stores and spoke to many mangers and they ALL said///all coach bags can be repaired no matter how much or where u purchased them from...I specifically told them that they are Final Sale items and have the dots on the patch and they ALL said..thats fine...any coach bag can be sent in for repair...im curious now to know the truth..thanks!

that's good to know, maybe they just can't be returned.

Reactions: c.mccarran