Gucci Made in China?

1. Hi,

I was in the Burberry forum and one of the girls was saying that Burberry is sometimes made in China (I guess I agree because I have two burberry umbrellas and they are both made in china, which i didn't know until I looked just now, but I'm not sure about the bags). I was saying that I was so disappointed that they're outsourcing, and in the various responses someone claimed that "even gucci is made in china sometimes"... I'm thinking that's not true? I've never heard of an authentic gucci anything (even the dog bed) that's made in china...

Can anyone clear this up? Which items are made where? (Show off your knowledge!)

This is how I'll feel if gucci outsources to china: :hysteric::hysteric::hysteric:

2. mmm...

any item can be made anywhere i believe...

burberry had a big debate 'keep burberry british' news...etc...and i know they moved their factory to china...not their whole factory but...parts...

louis vuitton was thinking of moving their shoe factory to india...
    and their items are made in France...italy...spain...USA...etc...
    So...i can see LV is honest...and open...as long as they dont close their france factory...therefore no more 'made in France'...this will make the brand...lol...low...?

like we buy a Gucci...and we want it to be 'made in italy' because the brand is italian...etc...you would prefer to buy pizza from an italian shop...the pizza made by italians...rather than an asian shop...(i'm asian...lol)...and you would prefer to buy Japanese food from a shop with Japanese people...

Gucci...i don't know...every Gucci item has the...and is 'hand' 'made in italy'...maybe? maybe not...Gucci might start the bag in China...India...etc...and finish the coating...or brass...leather...etc...in italy? and they stitch the 'made in italy'...

I believe in Gucci...i don't know and i don't...care...lol...if 50% is made in china...and 50% in Italy...but as long as a % is made in italy...i think it is acceptable...!

and if the whole eg. bag...Is made in china...i think it would be on the news...and the world would have turned over...because...inside the factory? can be chinese people...or italians...etc...in the factory won't be 5 people stitching bags...but a lot...and i don't think the world is that big...that the world won't and can't find out if the bags are made 100% in china or not...etc...

in the end...i believe...the design is first...then where the bag is made in...? mmm...because we can't really...say...i will never buy a made in china Gucci...because it was made in china? then we're being not ignorant...but tooo ignorant...etc...

my thoughts~! :tup:

3. and my thought is...

if they are very open...and not hiding anything...they should sell...not only leather items...etc...but...a trip to the Gucci factory for...$ ??? ! lol...my wish...then we can't say anything...unless they ARE hiding things by not letting people into the factory...lol......etc...they should do something...like...CHARLIE AND THE CHOCOLATE FACTORY...5 GOLDEN TICKETS...(GUCCIO AND THE GUCCI FACTORY...5 GG FABRIC TICKETS) LOL...wow...how many bags do we have to buy to find the ticket...lol...

4. not a surprise at all. Almost everyone in the clothing, handbag, accessory business know that for almost all brands roughly 80% the labor is done in china, then shipped back to the country where they want the coo label to read (france for example) where they "finish" the bag off with a few stitches and voila you've got a bag made in "france"! But I wouldn't worry because the factories in china only do the labor (assembling), the supplies ie.leather, yarn, special trims are still *mostly* made in European countries.

5. I've never heard of that, but probably you have to call Gucci to find out.

6. hmm - would be intersting to know. wonder if the lables would change?

7. madein i want one of those golden tickets!!!!

8. yep lol

i was thinking...what do you do...if YOU want to make the bags?

can you apply? i was very curious...

applying to make the GUCCI bags...then you can see eveeerything that goes on...i'm very curious...it's not like they post up...'people needed to make GUCCI bags' in the GUCCI boutiques...mmm...

9. Yes, sadly it is true. A good book to read about he luxury goods industry is "Deluxe, How Luxury Lost Its Luster" by Dana Thomas. She explains in simple terms how the top luxury goods companies have some production done in China. It's a really good read.

Anne

10. ^LOVE that book! She didn't specify Gucci exactly, but I wouldn't doubt it.

11. That's good info... Thanks for the input...

STILL, though, I've NEVER seen an authentic Gucci anything with a "made in china" label, am I right? :smile:

12. it is terrible. In dooneyand burke shop yesteraday and bags were made in china.

13. ): i would hate to see my Gucci say " made in china/USA''

14. I hate it too...but really would not be surprised. It's quite sad...

15. I'm not surprised if they were, I found out the zipper on my cruise dress was made by YKK (which definitely manufactures in China), it says Gucci on the zipper pull and the YKK bit is hidden on the base of the pull. I had another pair of Ferragamo boots that cost around $700+ US and the zipper was made by YKK as well. If even part of their RTW is made in China, then I'm assuming parts of the bags and accessories are as well, though it doesn't bother me as much as it used to. Though I did feel a bit disappointed because the dress was so expensive, but still, that won't stop me from buying their products, if the quality and design is still there.