Gucci - is it the new Prada?

yeppers, i agree with nathansgirl & jag on the gucci vs. prada thing...as the owner of lots of prada bags, i can say they've lost their appeal on me :sad: ...bags like gucci are just much more regal & elegant...and if i'm spending hundreds of dollars on a bag, i usually want it to be leather...after a couple years of wear, my prada's started looking sad & tired & the nylon tears...they don't hold their value the way other designer bags do either...that's why i've started collecting gucci's & b-bags :smile:

I still disagree - you gals bang on about the Prada Nylons - but Prada does lovely leather and other luxury material bags in fact - whenever I pop into their store, most of the bags around are leather.

I agree that purchasing a Nyon bag for the price they charge is ridiculous and mostly I think they look ugly. But the Prada leather bags are gorgeous and they always come out with different designs each season. I have 3 Prada;s - 2 leather and 1 Python. all very different - but equally as gorgeous.

Check out the Prada NON nylon bags in store. You will see what I mean. I keep telling myself not to buy Prada anymore as I should buy other brands.. but they keep bringing out nice bags that are different.

With regards to Gucci - I have to say every Tom Dick and Harry carries them. I live in London and I see everyone carry Gucci - those monogram canvas bags are everywhere - and so are the fakes! Gucci is just too common. I have Gucci bag and the matching purse but I think I don't really want another - as its just too common now.

Its just my opinion thats all.

I never really like Prada nylon bags but I love their leather made ones. Saw one in ostrich leather before at the Prada store here in Japan.

Comparing between Prada vs Gucci: Gucci still maintains in terms of its bags & shoes. Prada.....love its clothes & shoes too. I'll choose Gucci over Prada if you ask me about bags but clothes, I'll choose Prada.

Overall, nothing beats Hermes & Bottega Veneta.

Ooops.....Chanel too. Love the clothes.

hmm to me, i use my gucci's and prada's to achieve different looks.. i think too they are as different as apples and oranges. both good fruits but different. :yes: here's a quote from an article.

"Prada takes a decidedly -- and consciously -- intellectual approach to fashion. The look of the early 2000's has been described as that of a "chic neo-fascist army" by the New York Times. Other critics have described Prada's look by comparing it to Gucci's: While the Gucci girl is swigging shots of tequila in the back of a nightclub wearing a miniskirt and halter top, the Prada girl is reading Proust in a café."

pixiedust82 said:
hmm to me, i use my gucci's and prada's to achieve different looks.. i think too they are as different as apples and oranges. both good fruits but different. :yes: here's a quote from an article.

"Prada takes a decidedly -- and consciously -- intellectual approach to fashion. The look of the early 2000's has been described as that of a "chic neo-fascist army" by the New York Times. Other critics have described Prada's look by comparing it to Gucci's: While the Gucci girl is swigging shots of tequila in the back of a nightclub wearing a miniskirt and halter top, the Prada girl is reading Proust in a café."
I loves it!! thanks for the quote. u rock!! :yes: