Growing out acrylic nail damage

1. I've worn acrylic nails for most of the past 25 years. I recently broke an acrylic nail off in the middle of my natural nail and decided it was time to take a break and let my nails rest while that one grows out. So here's the question...

What have you used in the past that works to strengthen your nails, stop the peeling and chipping while the nails grow out. I'm hoping I'll be able to keep my natural nails and simply go to French Manicures, or perhaps a less destructive coating for strength. Thanks for the help!

2. well I don't get acrylic nails but i have very veyr soft weak nails. so i use nailtique i think its formula #2 . you can find tons of htem on eBay for about 30 bucks for 2 large bottles. its basically nail polish but a nail hardener. it works relaly well and my nails have gotten a lot stronger ever since.

but try to lay off on any nail polish for a while so it can replenish. but yeah my mom is a nail technician and hse recommends t hat.

3. It will help the chipping/peeling if you buff the surface of your nail to keep it smooth. However, in my experience I've had a tough time finding something to strenthen the nail while it grows. My nails usually don't fully recover until the damaged part grows out. Good luck!

4. You should also just let your nails breathe!! Since you've worn tips for so long, it would be good just to have clean bare nails. No clear polish, no nothing. Instead maybe each night rub some cutlicle oil on each one. It will help your nail beds from drying out and help your nails grow too!

5. Thanks for all the advice. I'd like to go back to wearing just my natural nails. It's been so long since I didn't have acrylics on even typing feels so strange. I know they need to breathe, so I guess no time like the present!

6. I thought it was a myth that nails need to "breathe"?

7. I used Nailtiques formula 2 when I got rid of my acrylic nails. It really helped with the peeling and weakness.:yes:

8. my advice as a former acrylic nails wearer is to keep them super duper short until the damage is grown out.
    They'll tear SO bad if they're long enough to.

9. I thought it was a myth too but sometime you can just feel it! LoL. At my last job I had to research a lot of nail stuff for a cuticle oil and a lot of people still believe you should be bare sometimes.

And I'm really just recommending it because MissPoufy has had tips for some time now, it'll make a big difference for her. And also when you rub oil into your cuticles and nails, you shold make sure your nails are bare so the oil can get into your nail bed. I mean once her nails start growing then she can go back and clear polish and so on.

When you take off tips...don't you feel the weight like lifted off your nail bed? When I wore tips my fingernails used to hurt sometimes and when I took them off...it was like heaven!

10. I always noticed how super sensitive my fingertips were after removing mine! :biggrin:

11. I know what you're going through, I took my wraps off after 12 years....
    It took over a year for my nails to recover.
    Here's my advice, don't fall into the trap of certain products working over others. Basically you just need to keep your nails polished , not just one coat but a base, 2 coats of color and a top coat because your nails are WEAKER than ever!! The polish will not last, it chips immediately in comparison to nails with wraps, but it's the only thing that ever gave my nails enough strength to not constantly break.
    I am a nail polish whore , not just a bag whore, so I tried all the products...and nailtiques works no better than Sally Hansen than clear Wet and Wild in my opinion.
    It was a process for me, I am addicted to nice nails and hands, but after seeing the damage done to my nails and how long it took to recover, I don't think I'll ever wrap again (although I reeaaally want to...).:sweatdrop:

12. OPI Nail envy

13. I'm in the same dilemma, I am actually on my way out to get my acrylics taken off, I have let them grow out a bit for the past 3 weeks. I'm tired of them. I usually take them off after 18 months or so. I was a nail biter until 5 years ago, my nails are so damaged because of it. I use T.i.p.s when my acrylics are off. I swear by it. You can get it on QVC. The whole t.i.p.s line is great.

14. I'm growing out mine and it's so annoying cos my nails are so thin, that the tips sometimes bend backwards! I'm keeping mine as short as possible and even though I forget alot, I rub solar oil on them every night.

15. I just got my nails taken off at the end of dec, and they are finally all grown out. It takes mine a long time for all the damage to grow out. I keep them short, and keep putting opi nail envy on it until they do. Everytime I let them grow out, I sware to myself I will never get them again. But, I do like always!