Food Grossest Foods EVER! Don't read if you've just had a meal/are about to have a meal...

My mom was personally served monkey brains when she went to a foreign country (I forget which one honestly). She said she had to leave the restaurant immediately. She's not a vegetarian, but she really loves animals and that was just way too much to have a monkey head sitting in front of her (along with the body of the whole monkey, not just the brains).

GROSS! Monkey brain... Oh my gosh :throwup:

But I have to admit something... When I felt a bit daredevil-y I ate a fried mealworm! And it wasn't gross! It tasted like nothing to be honest.

This is probably considered gross to most, but in my culture, ( Vietnamese) , we have this plate called " TIEC CANH".

It's a plate of chopped up duck meat all laid out on a plate, and fresh duck blood. They slit the ducks throat, let it drip, and then the blood turns into like a geletin in the plate of meat.

Then you eat it with some fresh greens such as mint leaves, and squeeze lemon in it.

*droools*

It's sooo tasty..just don't think of it as blood. lol.

Was it Bizarre Foods with Andrew Zimmern? I love this show!

I think is was. I like that show too!

In regards to eating dogs, I read that in some asian countries, St. Bernards are the preferred breed to eat.

When I was 17 I had a boyfriend who was half Thai. Keep in mind I was very young and not very worldly at all. He had a bunch of family visiting from Thailand and I went to a very authentic Thai restaurant with them. I was so intimidated but my bf said his father and brothers would order for the table. At one point his father looked down the table and asked me (in very accented english) if I liked duck. Well to my ears I thought he was saying dog. All I could hear was, Dog! Do you like DOG? I guess my eyes were as big as saucers and he had to ask me twice. My bf said- it's okay if you don't like duck. I was so relieved I started laughing like a little idiot. I'm 34 now so I can look back and laugh at how silly and sheltered I was.

This is probably considered gross to most, but in my culture, ( Vietnamese) , we have this plate called " TIEC CANH".

It's a plate of chopped up duck meat all laid out on a plate, and fresh duck blood. They slit the ducks throat, let it drip, and then the blood turns into like a geletin in the plate of meat.

Then you eat it with some fresh greens such as mint leaves, and squeeze lemon in it.

*droools*

It's sooo tasty..just don't think of it as blood. lol.
I find that really gross. I'm NOT trying to offend you at all though, so please don't take offense. It just really goes to show how different cultures have delicacies that other people would find totally disgusting.

I'm Filipino and our two "gross" dishes are balut and black meat (meat cooked with blood until the blood turns black). I personally don't eat either, but other Filipinos love them!

Yuck, I won't ever eat something with blood. I can vomit if I taste the irony taste of it whenever I bite my lip or something - gross!
I don't know if one of you ever tried blutwurst (blood sausage) but I know I won't ever. The smell alone makes me feel sick.

You guys should watch Bizarre Foods with Andrew Zimmern. We have it on TiVo :tup: In Japan he ate a frog's beating heart. It was even pulsating! I've eaten a LOT of food that would be deemed gross, 'balut' included! And I love it! There's also a Spanish dish similar to the menudo, with tripe called callos. My mom and I tried it when we were in Spain. It was delicious! :drool:

When it comes to food, I say don't knock it til you've tried it! :yes:

I find that really gross. I'm NOT trying to offend you at all though, so please don't take offense. It just really goes to show how different cultures have delicacies that other people would find totally disgusting.

I'm Filipino and our two "gross" dishes are balut and black meat (meat cooked with blood until the blood turns black). I personally don't eat either, but other Filipinos love them!

Lol it's okay! Every culture has it's share of gross. Hehe!

My SO is Filipino, and one time we went to a family gathering, they had this tasty dish...I ate it..yum yum and yum.Once I was done, I finally thne asked what it was. His aunt told me.." CHOCOLATE MEAT". I was like what is it really?

She then confessed and told me it's PORK meat w/ blood--the same dish you're talking about.

:wtf:

So I thought I'd start a new thread for us to share with each other what are some of the grossest foods they've heard of.

Of course, the adjective of "gross" is all subjective...what is gross to one person may actually be considered a delicacy by another!! For example a friend of mine thinks raw fish and sushi is disgusting...personally for me it's probably one of the best foods EVER!!!

So I'll start:

** some of the below are not for those with weak stomaches!!! Read with caution!! ***

My dad used to travel a lot for business and he's probably seen some of the weirdest foods around Asia...here are two:​

In the past in Vietnam, they used to FRY coconut worms. Now I don't know if they're called coconut worms, but this is the word for it in Chinese, and they do grow in coconut trees and apparently there's usually only one worm per tree. They are medium sized, white, fat and juicy. They would deep fry these worms...!!​

** This one is really gross **
Not sure if they do that any more, but again in another Asian country they take live monkeys and crack open their brains...and you would eat the brain RAW!!!​

In Korea this is considered a delicacy I think...live little squids are put on your plate. You then use a chopstick, jab it up their body from underneath, twist to kill the squid and then dip it in some hot sauce and just eat the squid raw!! :wtf:

Okay, would anyone else like to share? :P
They don't kill the squid or jab the squid, they wrap its legs around the chopstick and eat it alive!!!!! It dies in their mouth.:wtf:

I've heard of all those things lol. Asian people eat chicken/duck embryos all the time, I didn't even know people weren't aware of that. It's really not as gross as you think...

We love sushi and took us years to work our way up to trying Urchin...well the first time it was sweet and watery. Very nice. We should have stopped there.

The second time, different time of year, different restaurant, we tried again....:throwup: something was very wrong and we both looked at each other and spit it out!!! HAAAA gross gross nasty disgusting. will never try it again.

and one time we tried making stuffed squid (a favorite vietnamese dish with tomatoes and garlic) at home and let's just say, it was the worst dinner disaster of our entire cooking adulthood! smelly, bloated, just plain R-U-D-E.