Great book about one dog's amazing life (and owner)

1. If you're looking for an inspiring and thoughtprovoking book, check out "Merle's Door: Lessons from a Freethinking Dog" by Ted Kerasote. The author, a writer who lives in Yellowstone, adopted a stray puppy who grew up to be his ultimate companion, accompanying him skiing, boating, hiking, and hunting, but who also taught him that dogs are intelligent creatures who are not meant to be "kept" but rather can make their own decisions.

As a city-living mother to a codependent and ultraspoiled dog, I was fascinated by this dog who could come and go as he pleased, roaming everywhere and living the utimate dog life. The author very eloquently captures the emotions of owning a dog - his quirks, his hobbies, his mannerisms and underneath it all, their unabashed love for each other.

Here are some picture of Merle:

And here's a synopsis of the book:
  2. Oh thanks for the info, I'm about finish (in the last chapter) with my book "Marley & Me by John Grogan" & looking to get another one like it. The book you posted sounds alot like Marley & Me, so I'm sure I'll enjoy it, thanks!!
  3. I'll have to check that one out. Another wonderful book about another dog's wonderful life is "For Bea: The Story of the Beagle Who Changed My Life" by Kristen Von Kreisler - just make sure you have lots of Kleenex around when you read it, though!
  4. those pics are amazing! my dog doesn't even like to go outside to pee...
  5. I second this! When I got this book in the mail I curled up with my two beagles and read the whole thing in one sitting. And I absolutely BAWLED. Even early in the book. Bea shared a lot of traits with one of my girls, so it really hit home (especially since both my girls are rescues). My boyfriend came home that evening and he thought something bad had happened, but I was just like, "This book... the dog... baaahhh..." haha
  6. Definitely best to read with your doggies close around you so you can hug them during the really emotional parts. Our three beagles are rescues too and it also therefore hit close to home... But I don't think you need to actually have rescue beagles for this to be a great read!
  7. Oh my gosh, BookerMoose, your avatar is too cute! I cannot imagine THREE beagles, haha. Okay, yes I can, but the boyfriend says no. There's one at the humane society that I'd love to go get.