grease stain horror...any help is welcomed :)

1. Hi everyone,

I'm a chanel newbie, but have been lurking on this website forever trying to determine what purse to get as my first designer one. I've been meaning to post, but my camera isn't working :sad:

After seeing many gorgeous photos in this forum, I decided to get the bubble bowler in the dark brown.

Anyways, I've got a major problem that I thought the wonderful people on this forum might be able to help out with. I was eating souvlaki and trying to get one of the pieces free from the skewer. The next thing I knew, the skewer (with all the meat) flew into the air (was airbourne for a good minute) and landed RIGHT on my purse. Apparently I need about 10 ft of clearance between myself and my purse when I eat. I was horrified.

So, I've got some grease stains on my purse.

Any suggestions? Will the grease stains be absorbed into the leather in a couple of days? Or, should I get my purse to the chanel store asap? Or should I try the talcum/corn starch powder trick?

I'm slightly freaked out, so any help would be awesome!
    Thanks so much.

2. aaack! I don't know, quick somebody help!

3. use cornstarch to absorb the grease. this is my horrible story with grease stain, but the corn starch really helped! http://forum.purseblog.com/chanel/help-how-do-you-get-grease-spot-out-146343.html

Use corn starch directly on the spot, then layered that with a soft cloth or white paper towel and then put a book over that to "press" the corn starch into the spot. then let it sit overnight. Corn starch absorbs the oil without leaving anything on/in the leather.

4. oh goodness....

I'm so glad that at 1:30 am where I am there are others still on this forum.

You folks may have just helped me sleep a bit easier tonight :biggrin:

I'm going to rummage through my house right now to find some corn starch.

5. What you may wanna try is Baby Powder. It works absolute wonders on oil stains so that may work too on grease! Just rub in a bunch of baby powder on the bag where it got dirty and leave it over night. In the morning shake the bag so all the powder comes off, and the stains should be totally gone!!! :tup:

6. From lovinmybags.com:
    "For oil stains, use corn starch. Rub in; let corn starch absorb the oil. Use a light bulb to create some heat, this will facilitate the absorption of the oil into the cornstarch. Brush off with a soft tooth brush. Repeat until all oil has been removed."

They also have services where they could remove things like that if you can't get it out at home.

good luck!

7. Hope you had luck with the cornstarch.

8. OMG!!! Let us know if it came out OK!!!!! Good luck!!!

9. Terrible! But, I have to say, the way you described this misfortunate event made me laugh. Anyway I hope it all works out for you.

10. Oh no!!

Constarch does seem to help. My family went out to eat a few weeks ago, and one of my kids flung some butter and it landed on my reissue. I took a chance and wiped the stain with one of the Mr Clean sponges (but don't recommend) and put cornstarch on what was left of the stain. Luckily, the stain did come out.

11. let us know how is it coming out?

12. Keep us posted please! And yes, the story was pretty comical when reading it.

13. I'm curious as I live in the UK, Is cornstarch the same as cornflour??? The stuff you use to make soups and other liquids thicker when cooking???

14. yes!!:yes:

15. well,
    I smudged some cornstarch on my purse and left it over night and during the day. I put the paper towel over it and put some small cosmetic cases to weigh everything down.
    The stains are still there unfortunately. So, perhaps multiple applications are necessary.

I will keep everyone posted and *eventually* post pics of my pride and joy :biggrin:

Thanks everyone for your concern and advice! I really appreciate it.