Gre

1. I'm taking the GRE Monday so I can apply for grad school over the summer ... has anyone else taken it? Easy, hard? I'm usually a pretty good test taker, but I picked up a book at Barnes & Noble today (teacher appreciation week -- get 25% off!) to look over tonight. You can see I'm here. :biggrin:

2. I haven't taken it yet, but would you mind posting how you thought the test was after you take it?

3. Took it 3 years ago to go to grad school (I'm graduating next week ;)) and man it was HARD!!! I swear GRE vocab is NOT English!!! Good luck with your exams, but definately take the time to get used to the format -- it helps a lot!

4. I took it two years ago. It's basically the same as the SAT only computerized. The math was harder than I expected (then again math and I don't get along).

Just practice practice practice and you'll do fine.

5. Yeah, I looked over the book I got ... the math will be fine (it's a lot of what I'm teaching now, I'm a algebra teacher. I had the benefit of having an awesome review these past few weeks at work :biggrin: ) but some of those words in the verbal looked like they were in another language! I only need a 1000 to get into my program, so I'm not tooo worried since I know I will score high on math, but I sure am glad I looked everything over.

6. I took it this past winter. I didn't do as well as I wanted to, but in the end it didn't matter because I got into my doctorate program anyways.;)

If you are a good test taker then you definately have an advantage. I read all the books and tried to study, but it doesnt' help. Ya pretty much have to wing it. Good luck!

7. With the writing section, just be sure to pick a point of view and stick with it. Take a stance and support your argument using the facts provided in the article. I got a perfect score for the writing doing this so it works. It's like writing a critique of someone else's research. If you've done that in the past, you'll be fine.

The verbal is hard. Go over your prefixes, roots and suffixes, and that'll give you a quick review and 80% of the time you can figure out the meaning of the word by doing that.

Good luck! That test is sooooo long! I think that's the worst part. You're sitting in front of the computer for 5 hours in a completely silent room!

8. It is nerve wrecking and will drain every ounce of brain juice you've got. Start studying, but don't cram the night before, or even the week before. Stop studying for two days before your exam and just relax. I think the most important part is feeling calm, collected, and confident that you'll do well. Standardized tests suck. I got a three digit combined score, but I got into two top notch schools.. don't forget that sometimes GREs don't matter much for the graduate program you're applying to. It didn't for mine (architecture).

Good Luck and pace yourself!

9. Oh- and I forgot to mention- practice practice practice! Make sure you know how it feels like to take an actual test with time constraints. Then you won't have any surprises on test day.

10. the verbal is REALLY hard. way harder than the SATs. the math was really doable (easier than SATs for sure). i think i easily got an 800 on the math. luckily since i'm an engineer my grad schools didn't really care about the verbal.

11. My bf had to take the GRE and the physics GRE last yr to get into the PhD program (which he got in.. lol). Anyhow, I didnt since I just went to law school. But, when I asked him about it, he said the normal GRE was super easy.

He also reads a lot... and is really good in math (thus, physics)... So maybe that's why he said it was easy? lol

12. ok not to scare you or anything but the first questions are the most important to do well on bc you are tracked from the first 10 onward. meaning if you get most of those incorrect, you're score is already capped. the good thing is you get your score right away so you don't have to wonder how you did.
    GOOD LUCK!!!!

13. I took it couple years ago, and i don't know about everyone else but it was hard for me. :wacko:
    Good luck.

14. I took it in 2000, back when there were Verbal, Quantitative and Analytical sections. The section I found the easiest was the analytical, but I guess that was true for everyone, as they have taken it off the test now?
    I found practising taking the test from the "GRE Big Book" to be really helpful.

Good Luck!

15. I agree with the others. It was really hard and I was mad I had to take it because really, does it really have indiciation of how I will do in my grad major (has nothing to do with verbal or math skills).