Graduating college: Quarter-life crisis =*(

1. As some of you ladies know, I'll finally be graduating from college this Saturday. :smartass: It is so bittersweet: I'm finally finishing my biggest accomplishment, but I have to move 400 miles away (back to Northern CA). I've grown to LOVE So. Cal, my friends here, and my entire lifestyle. I'm going to be moving back home for at least a year while I work to gain some experience and study for my GRE's.

I can't even count how many times I've started to cry and freak out about moving, growing up, and leaving my college days behind. I feel like my adolescence is over, and it's time to enter the REAL world and become an adult....But how can that be? I feel like I'm still just a kid... :cry:

What are your experiences with life-changing events? I just feel like I need some words of encouragement...that things will really be ok... :wondering
  2. Well, I don't have any words of advice, but I did want to tell you congratulations. What school are you graduating from?
  3. UC Irvine :smile: Go anteaters! (No, not joking!) :lol:
  4. Guess what, you are normal. This is a big transation time for you, so mixed feelings of sadness and happiness are to be expected. Yes, one minute you will feel like crying and the next ready to move on! So, my "advice" is to talk with friends and family, don't try to pretend you are fine all of the time, and over time you will feel better. Good luck!
  5. Hi Andrea,

First, let me congratulate you on completing your degree! I know a lot of hard work went into that, and you should be proud of yourself!

Hopefully (if you do it right:p) you'll always feel like a kid, even when you are an old lady. As far as life changes go, at 42, I've been through a lot of them, some of them very hard, some not so much. None of them would I trade for anything!, as these experiences have made me who I am. My older daughter just graduated from high school last week, and the card I found for her said something about always looking for that one thing to happen to make one's life complete/happy, but in the end, it is all the little things we experience along the way that really IS our life. Enjoy every moment (even the crappy ones:amuse:), because they are your life. we always have the choice to be happy or not with whatever happens. I'm sure you will do great!

hope this helps!
    love, Pippi:flowers:
  6. That is so sweet :heart: Thank you so much I go, crying again.... :cry:
  7. Congrats, Andrea! I don't have any advice for you. Even though I am 50 already, there are some much younger people on this forum who are wiser than I am, will leave it to them to dispense pearls of wisdom. :biggrin:

All the best.
  8. Congrats, Andrea!! I graduated 3 years ago (ugh), and I still can't believe that those 4 years went by so quickly.

It seems scary and adult-like, but being a college graduate & being in your 20s is awesome. I love it. Getting a job means earning (and spending) your own money, you're (legally) able to drink, no more freaking out about the three finals in one day, and figuring out what you want out of life. I still feel young, I just have a heck of a lot more financial freedom now!

I loved college. I had a blast, but I wouldn't trade it for where I am now.

You'll figure it out. Just take it one day at a time, be proud of the fact that you got through four years, and enjoy the feeling of being an alumni!
  9. I just graduated, and cried a lot. And I didn't even have to move. So I understand for sure, but you have your whole life to do anything you want. It's going to be awesome.
  10. My convocation was today.. and it was kind of refreshing, I felt like it's a step towards a new place in life. The transition may be rough, but it's the road that one must travel.

Then again, maybe I'm just a little more calm since I still have another 3 years at law school before I enter the real world !
  11. Congratulations to everyone who graduates!!!

Unfortunately for me I was indifferent with my university because I had to study seriously hard and I didn't see too many people because I lived with my parents and only need to turn up for my compulsory 1-1 with my 'don' (tutor) twice a week (stange way Oxford operates). So overall, there was no fun in that, lol, my boarding school was way better and I cried then.

Whatever you do DO NOT do anything you want/go on a spending spree on everything. From 21 (only 3 years at university)-25 I think I was 'well-off' relative to others and went on a serious spree buying ridiculous things like silver Manolo Blahnik shoehorns and a useless $5000 chaise-longue which you cannot sit on because it's too delicate (stupid) and it was such a waste.

If I had a house commitment, I would be seriously in the red so I suggest save for the rainy day (25% minimum). Trust me on this as a merchant banker, lol.
  12. Dear Andrea - :flowers: congratulations on your remarkable achievement!!! You should be very proud of everything you've accomplished during your 4 years at UC Irvine!! It sounds like you've made some wonderful friends and had a lot of fun...and that's what you're gonna miss. :cry:

I was also panicked about the post-college life when I graduated (I'm 36 now) - worried about being out on my own in the "real world" and not having that fun college "bubble" environment where I had so much fun with my friends. It's scary but I promise you, it's gonna be OK!!

Know that you and your friends will all stay in close touch - via email, phone, text, IM - and since Northern and Southern Cal are still a quick cheap flight (yay Southwest!) or 1/2 day drive away, you guys can make plans to see each other. My college pals are now scattered around the US but we're still in touch weekly and through the years have planned trips and vacations together. And when we're together, it's like we never were apart, know what I mean??

It's a great time for you to explore jobs and career options - you have so many options to try things and see what you want to do! I don't know if you have a job lined up, but if you don't, you might consider temping - it's a great opportunity to work in different companies, meet different people and it's not permanent so you can move onto something else if you don't like it - more flexible than all those prescribed academic requirements :p . You will meet new people at work. Since you're planning to take the GRE, you might take a prep course and meet local people there too. Another way to meet people is volunteering or becoming active in a local college alumni group! Then, before you know it - you'll be in graduate school, meeting new people and starting a new phase in your life!

Plus, your parents can help you if you're worried or feeling down. That's the best part about moving home. Oh yeah, that and not having to save up quarters for the laundry machines in the dorms! :biggrin:

Don't let it overwhelm you too much!!! I echo jilllybean's advice - take it one day at a time!!!

Let us know how you are doing!!! :flowers:
  13. Congrats to graduates!!!

I get scared with life-changing things and tend to stay on the safe side so I'm no good with this. I can tell you that the few times I took the plunge and did something really drastic and life-changing - it was good. You're young, go for it. Don't wait cause if you do, it might be too late. Don't go on a spending spree though. Just learn.
  14. Andrea,

I can definitely relate to how you are feeling. The year after I graduated from university was a roller coaster of emotions. In that year, I graduated, got engaged, moved to a new town where my fiance was still in school and I knew nobody, got a job that I didn't like, ended the engagement, moved back home with my parents and was accepted into teachers college. That year was filled with some of the highest point and lowest points in my life to date. What I learned is that it is a time in life that can be very scary and confusing. However, it is also exciting. There are so many possibilities out there for someone who is young, educated and ambitious. Just remember all of your accomplishments and that the best is yet to come! This is a time when you will discover things about yourself that you never knew, and you will realize that you are much stronger than you think. You have so much to look forward to, so just hang in there, and remember that everyone goes through this transition phase and you are not alone. Good luck with everything :flowers:
  15. Hello! :heart:

Congratulations! I am also graduating next weekend (UCSD!). Finals week for u guys this week also right? Good luck ! :biggrin: I don`t have any profound advice as I`m in the exact same position as u- graduating and moving back home to study GREs but I want to wish you the best of luck and to have fun and relax when you can since our 20s are supposedly the most enjoyable time of our lives! :graucho: What masters program will you be applying for?