Gougere- French Puff Pastry - YUM!

1. This recipe is for Gougere which is a French cheese puff pastry from the Burgundy region of France. These are delicious with soups or stews.

1 C. Milk
    8 Tablespoons of unsalted butter
    1 teaspoon salt
    1 C. Flour
    5 eggs
    3/4 C. gruyere cheese (freshly grated)
    3/4 C. parmesan cheese (freshly grated)

Preheat oven to 375F (you will lower the heat later)

Combine the first three ingredients in a saucepan and bring to a boil on medium heat. Remove pan from the heat and add all the flour. Whisk flour into the liquid until it is thoroughly incorporated. Return the pan to medium heat and stir constantly until the mixture has thickened and is pulling away from the sides of the pan.

Remove the pan from the heat and add 4 of the eggs, one at a time. Incorporate each egg into the mixture before adding the next. Stir in the grated cheeses until all are thoroughly mixed and you have a batter.

Drop batter by generous tablespoonfuls onto lightly buttered baking sheet (I used a silpat). Beat the last egg and brush over the tops and sprinkle with a bit more parmesan.

Reduce oven heat to 350F and bake 15-20 minutes or until they are puffed and well browned. Serve right away. Makes about 20 pastries.
  2. Oh, these sound so yummy!
  3. Hmmm I still have lots of fresh parmesan cheese to use, maybe I will try this recipe..sounds so yummy!!
  4. Mmmmm, must try.
  5. Wow, in addition to the crepe recipe - this ROCKS!!!!
  6. I am going to try to make all of your receipes Roo! They sound wonderful! Thanks for posting!
  7. Wow, Roo, thanks so much! This sounds sooooo good! Why are you getting me hungry!??? I am in school!
  8. Mmmmmmm, these sound YUMMY!

Where did you learn all of these delicious recipes, Roo?
  9. Hey Roo, thanks for posting the recipe. I don't know if you alread know, but when you omit the cheese in this recipe it is the recipe for classic french choux paste. Choux paste is used to make many things. Some examples are:
    1. Profiteroles - rounds, bigger than a gourgere- you can fill them with cream, pastry creme or ice cream ( cream puffs) or savory items like chicken or tuna salad - caterers do this
    2. Eclairs - long oval shapes that are sliced and filled with mousse, pastry cream or whatever and decorated with coating chocolate

To make the sweet items you just replace the salt with sugar.