> >and placed into special containers. The swabs were then processed at
a
> >local laboratory.
> >
> >The Health Report also showed where women place their purses:
public
> >restrooms (on the floor beside the toilet), kitchen counters &
kitchen
> >tables, on tables & chairs in restaurants, etc.
> >
> > The results of the laboratory tests contained the following most
> >serious result:
> >
> > 1 out of 4 purses - E COLI
> >
> > Other extremely serious bacteria also were listed, including
> >Hepatitis.
> >
> > They recommended that women should DAILY wipe their purs es
> >(particularly the bottom) with a disinfectant wipe and to be
extremely
> >careful where you sit your purse. Most important, do NOT place your
> >purse on a table (anywhere) where you will eat or an a kitchen
counter
> >and do not put it anywhere close to a toilet.
> >
> > Remember, when you flush a toilet, the spray goes a distance that
is
> >unrecognizable by the human eye.
> >
> > WASH YOUR HANDS as often as you can! Keep an antibacterial hand
> >sanitizer cleaner (no water needed) in your purse and use it often!
And
> >as soon as you get home from shopping (or w herever you have been and used your purse), immediately wipe it all over with a disinfectant

Ewwww! That is really gross. But I guess it doesn't surprise me that much.

I know they've done lots of different studies and the grossest one I ever saw was that a phone receiver has more bacteria than a toilet seat. Yucky!

How can people put their bags on the floor in public restrooms????? That's honestly VERY disgusting!!!! I either hang mine on that little hook on the door, or put it on top of the TP dispenser (or whatever that huge thing is called). Aren't disenfecting wipes leather-damaging???? Don't they have alcohol?

Germies are everywhere! What the reporters don't tell you is that while the whole planet is covered in bacteria, especially E. coli, is that what's on your purse, clothing, shoes, skin is not in great enough amounts to adversely affect you. So, unless you've been crawling around in a sewer or septic tank with your purse in hand, you and your family will suffer no harm.
However, I do tend to wipe stuff down or wash it immediately if I've been around people showing symptoms of colds/flu or have been sneezing or coughing. Just in case my immune system is not up to the task of killing these dread germs all by itself.
I don't suppose now would be the time to tell you about the experiment The MythBusters did concerning nasty bacteria on toothbrushes, would it?
Kate

:sick: :sick:
I am completely germ-phobic!!! And the fact that I am now a Public Health major just makes it worse :P . However, I do agree with kmccrea that the amount of a certain bacteria on a purse will probably not get a person sick. Also, it is just common sense not to put your bag on the bathroom floor or kitchen counter...there is just no reasoning for that :Push: .

DO tell...please:yes: , i yhink its important for us to know these things :shame:

I don't suppose now would be the time to tell you about the experiment The MythBusters did concerning nasty bacteria on toothbrushes, would it?
Kate

kmccrea said:
Germies are everywhere! What the reporters don't tell you is that while the whole planet is covered in bacteria, especially E. coli, is that what's on your purse, clothing, shoes, skin is not in great enough amounts to adversely affect you. So, unless you've been crawling around in a sewer or septic tank with your purse in hand, you and your family will suffer no harm.
However, I do tend to wipe stuff down or wash it immediately if I've been around people showing symptoms of colds/flu or have been sneezing or coughing. Just in case my immune system is not up to the task of killing these dread germs all by itself.

Ah, the voice of reason. Are you a microbiologist by any chance?
Just curious. :smile:

kmccrea said:
I don't suppose now would be the time to tell you about the experiment The MythBusters did concerning nasty bacteria on toothbrushes, would it? Kate

Sure, please share what MythBusters said please.