Got an apartment in NYC but also lost of questions (for NYC ladies).

I am trying to be clear with your term "maintenance". Is it totally separate from your mortgage costs, or included fee?. It is supposed to be an additional amount you pay each month for care of your building. If will be paying $4600/month maintenance costs, I hope they plan on cleaning your house everyday, raising your child and servicing you at anytime of the day! LOL. And if it is, can I come live with you! ha!

On a side note, www.citysearch.com is a great site to find stuff to do in NYC.

Yes, it's totally seperate from the mortgage because I paid cash so essentially this is extra for which I have to pay, I gather, for everything from service, binman fee or whatever you call it in New York, etc.. Why? Is it ridiculous?

Actually I sort of answered my own question because I just phoned a guy whom I used to work with (the same person who say that you want to have your home in the 60s, he says that $4,600 is OK given that he is accustomed to $5,500-$6,000 :wtf: maintenance fees!

Why? What's wrong with sample sales?

Nothing, really. It's just that I read Bee...Bee's posts and she doesn't seem to be like a person who likes to go in a rush and buy lots of things because they are on sale, but ponders a lot and gets one very good (and very expensive) item at retail price instead.

yes bee for that size apt that maintence is on par. my mom has a 3 bedrooom 3 bath and it's about half yours but again, her maintence did not go up for 20 years so its just now catching up. you have a very large apt so even though people might think that's high it's actually reasonable. just think- even if you had a mortagage renting that same apt would probably be at least 10k a month. at least.

OK-so, you don't have a mortgage at all?

The $4,600 is just maintenance?

Yes it is just maintenance because I have no mortgage at all; I am a bit of a weirdo because I will not buy anything until I have the cash in full to pay for it :upsidedown:. I am still thinking that if I moved to a taller apartment, the maintenance would be less (according to economic lesson number 1: increasing returns to scale). But since lots of ladies, including hlfinn below, have said that this is about right then I have to believe everyone!

hlfinn said:
yes bee for that size apt that maintence is on par. my mom has a 3 bedrooom 3 bath and it's about half yours but again, her maintence did not go up for 20 years so its just now catching up. you have a very large apt so even though people might think that's high it's actually reasonable. just think- even if you had a mortagage renting that same apt would probably be at least 10k a month. at least.

Thanks for the confirmation BTW :biggrin:.

merika said:
Nothing, really. It's just that I read Bee...Bee's posts and she doesn't seem to be like a person who likes to go in a rush and buy lots of things because they are on sale, but ponders a lot and gets one very good (and very expensive) item at retail price instead.

Oh dear, I am leaving a bad impression of myself for everyone :sweatdrop:. Actually you know what, I am like Paris Hilton who just goes on serious sprees and maxes out her card everyday, LOL. No but seriously, I have lots of cheap things because deep down I am a really cheap person, LOL. I bet you my mobile phone is the cheapest in this forum - the last time I check the price of my 7 nearly 8-year-old Nokia 8210 is $20 :P.

How to spend your day?

Shop. There are people who go to Barneys everyday, and the stock isn't replenished that frequently.

CPW/89 is a nice area, more "relaxed" than CPE. Columbia is nearby so there are more students around, but this also means more ethnic restaurants and street fairs in the area (compared to the other side of the Park). Overall, it's a beautiful, residential area. :flowers:

The maintenance is pretty consistent with the size/area of your apartment.