Got an apartment in NYC but also lost of questions (for NYC ladies).

well i live in the 60s on the west side and i agree that the lower areas are slightly better- 60s to low 80s. 89th and park ave south is probably gorgeous though.

i think hubba wubba explained the co-op thing perfectly- OOPS AND NISHI. basically you have rules of the building and if you don't follow them you can be brought before the board. you do not own your apt but shares in the bldg. it can be great since you're not responsible for repairs etc yourself as in a freehold house but on the other hand they have the right to reject future buyers of your apt etc (happened to me on my last apt and not fun- wasted about 6 months).

the most popular gym in the neighborhood is actually reebok. it's 67th and columbus. where jerry seinfeld works out etc. but there are plenty of good gyms closer to you like ny sports club and equinox i think.

spas- as someone says that depends on what you like. is bliss still popular?

i don't know who the hot designers are but i do know some designers and artitects and people who do kitchesna and baths etc. when it gets closer you can always email me.

omg across from the dakota? one of my friends lived in the building next door and i'm about 4 blocks from there. i have ALWAYS wanted to go in the dakota. i'm such a nyer. LOL

Thanks for the heads up. BTW, what is the maintenance of $4,600: rip-off or OK?

Hoo boy-that was some terrible typing in my last post!

What I meant to say is, if anything breaks inside my apartment, such as my toilet, then it is my responsibility to repair it and pay for that repair. If anything happens inside of the building, the building funds pay for it.

The only thing that changes this is if something about the building damages my apartment. for example-we have a skylight on our bulding-part of it fell last year and damaged my upstairs bathroom window. Even though the window belonged to my personal apartment, the building paid for the repair because it was a damage caused by the building. Make sense?

I call my own handymen, plumbers, etc. for work on my apartment. You are lucky Heather!

He told me that the embassy staff were really rude and they told him to come back for another interview so the next time, he came with a metal case full of $$$ and slapped it on the table and told them this is my reference, LOL.

my dad did something similar when we moved to london, but to open a bank account :roflmfao: they wouldn't let him open one before we had a gas bill :rolleyes: and we were keeping rather unsafe amounts of money in the freezer!

Thanks for the heads up. BTW, what is the maintenance of $4,600: rip-off or OK?

Actually, they should of told you what your maintenance charges are before you signed for the apartment. I would think yours would not be too bad.

The maintenance depends on the building. Maintenance is what you pay for the common charges for lack of a better term. Like say the upkeep of the building staff, like doorman, or if there is landscaping around the building (which probably isn't, unless they are charging you for mowing Central Park, LOL). It really varies depending on what your building is offering, like having a gym, pool, doorman, handyman to work on whatever breaks in the building. For example, my friend has a townhouse worth over $1 million in NJ that she owns and her maintenance is about $600/month. She is also in a gated community and has landscapers and such. Which is what the maint. charges go to. I hope I explained it okay.

also check out how often the maintenance goes up. mine goes up an astrological amount every year (but my building does have 'grouds' so to speak and we do have security as well as staff in the building.) but my mother's didn't go up for 20 years. now that it did again it's going up every year but not as much as mine....

If you check out the Real Estate section of the NYTimes, you'll find a lot of answers to your questions (which are very good ones, btw).

As far as where to go and what to do, NY Magazine and Time Out New York will recommend the best things to see, do, eat and where to go for various services like salons, etc. You can also try signing up for Daily Candy if shopping is your thing and get a heads up on the sales.

I live in the w.60s. Your area's pretty good, basically anything below 110th street (where Central Park ends) is OK.

I think with a coop apt, you wouldn't be able to do anything really drastic with your apt, such as knocking down a wall.

The BEST part about NYC is that there are so many wonderful options no matter what you wanna do. Spas, restuarants, bars, lounges, etc. etc... And of course, the endless sample sales. ;)

Thanks everyone for the suggestions and keep it coming especially about the interior designer.

Obviously my previous blabbering was unclear :upsidedown: so let me try to rephrase it again. I have the maintenance cost of $4,600 on the back of a 3,500 square feet place with 4 bedrooms and 4-bathrooms. Is the maintenance cost in line with your places or is it too much?

I somehow can't see Bee at a sample sale...but then I can't imagine going to one myself..

Hey, I did go to the sample sale once but I am so not cool with it because:

1) I am very unfashionable so I have no use for anything in the sample sale.

2) Right now I am very fat from eating too many eclairs so no way that I can fit into a 32.

3) I know that if I go to a sample sale, I will buy lots of things that I don't need and will regret later even though they cost pennies. The rush and the associated adrenaline (can I get philosophical :sweatdrop: - the concept of methodological holism/the crowd effect) will make me feel that I have to have something because everyone else is having it. Current examples includes Kate Moss clothing line which I gather everyone bought but found them to be of poor quality and regret it later. I will probably be one of those people if I go to a sample sale so I have to take it slow and do it at my own pace, LOL.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions and keep it coming especially about the interior designer.

Obviously my previous blabbering was unclear :upsidedown: so let me try to rephrase it again. I have the maintenance cost of $4,600 on the back of a 3,500 square feet place with 4 bedrooms and 4-bathrooms. Is the maintenance cost in line with your places or is it too much?

I am trying to be clear with your term "maintenance". Is it totally separate from your mortgage costs, or included fee?. It is supposed to be an additional amount you pay each month for care of your building. If will be paying $4600/month maintenance costs, I hope they plan on cleaning your house everyday, raising your child and servicing you at anytime of the day! LOL. And if it is, can I come live with you! ha!

On a side note, www.citysearch.com is a great site to find stuff to do in NYC.