Good paying job with a 2 year degree?

1. Couldnt find anything on the search but I was wondering, what kind of jobs require only an associates degree but pay very well? As you all know, i'm in the middle of a divorce and planning on going back to school and would like to study something that wont take me too long so I can get myself back on my feet. I was originally going to study business with a minor in history because i wanted to be a teacher but now i'm not so sure.

I love anything with writing, reading, history and being creative. Dont do too well with math and science.

any ideas? Thanks! :heart:
  2. I found this online for you:
    There are a whole host of ideas there

I think Associates Degrees are generally viewed as a stepping stone to a BA or a BS. I think you'd be hard pressed to find a very well paying job without loads of in the job experience or being an expert in your field just because the job market is so flooded with BA and BS degrees right now.

If you aren't sure what you want to do, just start taking a class or two at your local community college and go from there. A ton of schools are starting flexible programs for Bachelor's degrees to get alternative students like you-offering classes on weekends and online.

Good luck in whatever you choose!
  3. I would suggest trying to find some training courses to work in an office setting as an "executive assistant" - they seem to earn a decent living on the west coast. Training would involve learning some business writing, familiarity with certain software programs, and office machines (phones, copiers, fax), etc.

Also, if you could swing it try working as a receptionist in a doctor's office and doing inhouse training and work your way up.
  4. Have you considered paralegal work? I'm not sure how much they make in the US or what type of education they need, but in Canada they make a decent amount and only need to attend a two year college program (which I think is the equivalent of US community college).
  5. Good suggestions here. I'd also add event planning, IT support (are you good on the computer? good graphics skills?), and security support.

Good luck!
  6. Just an FYI (since I work in this profession): Most law firms are looking for paralegals with either a combo of Bachelor's Degrees and Paralegal Certificate (which is what I have) OR yeeeeaaars of experience. This *could* just be in my area (AZ) but I am a member of multiple paralegal organizations that put out publications, and according to the publications that they send me it looks like the rest of the country is going that route as well.

For two year degrees, what about receptionist at a high end business? As someone mentioned before, you can always work your way up:graucho:
  7. I would also add graphic design and/or advertising (creative side). A bachelor degree is not necessary. However, it is very competitive so you need to be passionate about what you're doing.
  8. Nursing only requires an associates.
  9. I thought nurses had to go through pretty rigorious training. I know for a fact that many ivy-league universities (Yale is the first that comes to mind) have nursing programs which result in a Bachelors and require nearly identical coursework to a pre-med major.

As far as executive assistants go, which Smooth recommended, I've heard of really good ones that get excellent pay... but that generally requires years of experience. Graphic design or advertising, to speak from experience, is impossible to break into unless you went to the Rhode Island School of Design for undergrad -- those are intensely competitive businesses, especially if you want to work for a big firm like Oglivy. On the creative side, you have to present a portfolio (which means knowing many interfaces like InDesign, Photoshop, Illustrator, Adobe suite in general, etc)... I'm not sure anyone would even look at a portfolio without seeing a resume with a degree. That's been my experience, at least. I think it would be extremely frustrating to attempt breaking into that world without a degree.

If I were the OP, I'd focus on finding an administrative assistant job. You can go through an agency which will find you full-time or temporary placement. It's also not a super intense job so you can go to school and work towards your Bachelors.
  10. ^^ Hmm. My mother got a nursing degree when I was young and I clearly remember that it took her 4 years to get it. She was always studying, etc. It's interesting how after she got her degree she never did a second of nursing at all. But anways, Back on Topic!
  11. i think the nursing degrees for 2 yr are more on the administrative side of things or are more like the ones who do the labor (clean bed pans, bring meals, etc) while the nurses who administer injections and take blood, and all that other stuff have BSN's, I know that nurses who are RN's and have their BSN's work their tush's off in school they have very demanding courses
  12. Yes, you are correct and I agree, start in an administrative assistant position and she can work her way up to executive assistant. You will still need some basic office skills, and you can take courses for the more advanced skills while you are employed. But it does not require a degree of any kind that I'm aware.
  13. As for the nursing degree - I recently returned to school for an associates degree in nursing (RN) which took 2 years and the entry-level positions in my area are the same regardless of whether you have an ASN or a BSN. Some hospitals pay a little more for having a bachelor's but other than that there is not much of a difference. The big difference (at least around here) for salary and job duties is between the Registered Nurse and the LPN/LVN.
  14. Perhaps you mean a nursing assistant or medical assistant? An RN is not a 2 year degree.
  15. Here's a chart I found that talks about salary level in relation to degree. It doesn't have 2 year degrees but you can probably assume that pay for an Associate's is in between a HS diploma and a Bachelor's.

If you can swing it, I highly recommend getting a 4-year degree. It will serve you much better in the future and provide a higher salary. It's money well spent.