good crock pot recipes

1. hi everyone! i recently got a crock pot, but haven't cooked anything in it yet. any suggestions or recipes would be much appreciated. thanks :smile:
  2. I am absolutely no help here, for I have had a crock pot for 4 years and it is still in the box!!!!! I hear they are really handy though, maybe try Food Networks website?!?!?;)
  3. The only thing I really make in mine is beef stew. I use 1 rouggly 2 lb peice of red meat (usually chuck roast, but sometimes other cheap and lean cuts depending on what is on sale), about 2 cups of cur up carrots, 1 cup cut up celery, 1 cup chopped onion, 1 packet brown gravy mix, 1 packet onion soup mix, 1 can cream of mushroom soup, and one beer (in a bottle).

Basically, mix the brown gravy mix with about 2 tbs of water to make a paste. Then mix in the onion soup mix (you can add more water if needed, the basic idea is just to get the clumps out), add the beer and mushroom soup mix. Mix. You don't need to mix it really well though because the 6 hours of cooking will take care of it. Then you throw this mixture in with everything else in the crock pot and cook it for about 4-6 hours. After that much time, the meat should fall apart. I try to take the meat out and pull all the fat off of it and then shred it and put it back in the pot. Voila!

This isn't a super-sophisticated recipe, but it's pretty good. I'm also eyeing two slow cooker books on Amazon that have good reviews.
  4. I love slow cookers. Here's one of my recipes.

Eggplant baked in slow cooker

20 minutes prep
    4.5 hours cooking
    6 servings

1 med onion, diced
    1 Tbsp olive oil
    1 tsp dried oregano
    1 tsp dried basil (or several leaves of fresh basil)
    1 6-oz can of diced tomatoes, undrained
    2 celery ribs, sliced
    2 large eggplants, cut into 3/4" cubes
    1 c pitted and quartered black Italian-style olives such as Kalamata. Room temp.
    1 6-8 oz jar roasted red bell peppers drained, cut into chunks. Room temp.
    Parmesan cheese, shaved or grated for garnish
    Salt and pepper to taste

Set slow cooker to high. Add oil, liquid only from can of diced tomatoes, and onions. Cook until onions are transparent and a bit soft. Then add oregano, basil, tomatoes, celery, and eggplant. Stir thoroughly. Mixture will look a bit dry. Switch to low heat setting. Cook for 3.5 hours or until eggplant is tender. Stir occassionally if convenient.

Add olives and roasted red peppers. Stir thoroughly and let cook another 10 minutes to heat new additions.

Offer a bowl of the parmesan for garnish.

Add meat
    Dice some cooked chicken breast or lamb and put in a serving/eating bowl. Warm meat in microwave. Add eggplant mixture and parmesan garnish.

Add meat and rice
    Dice some cooked chicken breast or lamb and put in a serving/eating bowl. Warm meat in microwave. Add eggplant mixture and hot cooked rice. Stir. Add parmesan garnish.
  5. oooh thanks for the recipes! i dont own a crock pot but they had soem on sale some time ago and i didnt buy it bc i have no idea what to do with it! lol
  6. Crock Pot is actually a trademarked name for a certain brand of slow cooker. If you are interested in finding more recipes to use with one, try looking for "slow cooker" recipes rather than Crock Pot. There are a number of well-reviewed books on Amazon. It is a great cooking method if you are ready to throw something together for dinner early in the day. It is also good for cooking tough cuts of meat like brisket, london broil, or chuck because the long cooking time will break down the tough parts of the meat and make it fall apart. I also use mine to make pulled pork.
  7. Here's something really easy that I do in the crock pot. Slice an onion and put the slices in the bottom. Then lay a round steak over the onions. I usually cut the big round steak into 4 or 5 pieces. Then salt and pepper and pour an 8 ounce can of tomato sauce over everything (more sauce if you want more gravy). Cook on low for about 8 hours. It's easy and surprisingly good. I usually make mashed potatoes with this and spoon some of the gravy over them.
  8. the recipes sound delicious. i'll have to give them a try. thanks ladies! :smile:
  9. Okay, please don't laugh at me:s , but I ask this question in all sincerity.:shame: I don't own a crock pot because I've always been afraid to leave something cooking for so long. Have these things, well, caused fires?:confused1: I would love to own one, but I want to make sure it's safe.
  10. I've had one for over 6 years, and so far so good. I've never known of anyone having had a fire from a crockpot. It's one of my all time favorite appliances. To throw a bunch of ingredients in the crock, and come home to a completely cooked meal, it's amazing!
  11. ^^^^Thanks!
  12. Ooooooh! I'm a crock pot fanatic!!! Try this website: All recipes – complete resource for recipes and cooking tips. They have their own Crock Pot section with free crockpot recipes.

The website also has thousand of other regular recipes as well (crockpot is just one section). Anyhow, people submit their recipes and then members vote on them!
  13. i've used them for years and years and never had a problem. it's sooo nice to come home from a long day and have dinner hot and ready to eat for the DH and kids..
  14. I make Rotisserie Chicken in the crockpot. Just put 4-5 balls of wadded up foil at the bottom of the crockpot. Then rinse off a roaster chicken. While it is still wet and over the sink, sprinkle the chicken with Lawry's seasoned salt. Rest the chicken on top of the foil balls and cook for 8-10 hours on low. Very easy and very yummy!
  15. ^^^Wow! That's it! I'm getting one!