good cleanser and moisturizer for combination skin?

amanda

I Bleed Georgia Red
Oct 18, 2005
hey, i'm in a predicament. i get super oily and gross in my t-zone and the rest of my face is dry as a bone. i also have blackheads on my nose but i have a great product for those, so now all i need is a cleanser and moisturizer that i like. i tried biotherm products, they came highly recommended to me, but they irritated my skin and made me red and zitty. i've got limited occassional breakouts around my lower jaw, but other than that, i'm just looking for basic products - does anyone out there have combination skin that can give me good recommendations?

Amanda, can you tell me what you're using for blackheads?

My latest discovery is Clinique Dramatically Different Moisturizing GEL. Yes, we all hated that gross yellow lotion, but this stuff is amazing! It's the only truly non-greasy product I know of. It moisturizes my dry cheeks but doesn't make my T-zone feel overly oily either.

I have yet to find a really awesome cleanser. I used Cetaphil Cleanser for Oil Skin and it did the job alright. There's probably better out there.

I have really oily T-zone too. For several months I was having breakout after breakout, now I've started using derma-doctor products and my skin has really cleared up. The only place I know that sells it is Nordtrom and I think you can find it online too. I use the Pore perfect (to clear pores), Tease-Zone (to decrease oil production) and the Calm cool and corrected (helps with rosacea and scars). All I can say is that haven't really had any breakouts since I've started using this line. Hope that helps!

BTW the products are kinda expensive. The Pore perfect & Tease zone are like $30-40 and then the Calm cool and corrected is like $85. It's pricey, but it's working for me.

I had exactly the same problem with the Biotherm products. Now I use the Shiseido Skincare line which is just excellent for all skin types. I have combination skin like you and I use the gentle cleansing foam, the hydro balance softener and as a moisturizer I have the light moisturizer for the day and the normal moisturizer for night. My skin looks very nice now and I don't have any problems with my t-zone and the dry cheeks anymore.

I highly recommend Cetaphil cleanser. It's inexpensive, works great, and is always recommended by dermatologists.

I really like the EL Future Perfect cream for normal/combo skin. It also comes in a lotion version. But it's a little pricey at $65. But it really balanced out my skin. Derma-Doctor is a good line too. Both Nordstrom and Sephora carry the line. The great thing about both stores is as long as you keep the receipt and if you don't like the product, you can take it back for a refund or exchange!

i have dry skin, although it used to be so dry that i used baby oil on it in addition to moisturizer.

i then discovered cocoa butter, which totally changed my skin...after using for about 6 months, i discovered that i could actually have somewhat oily skin!!

then i used biotherm religiously for about a year, but realized it was doing nothing for me...however I LOVED the scent of it.

i now use clean & clear (the morning glow line). i use the cleanser (love the ginseng in it...it really wakes you up), the toner and oil-free moisturizer.

my skin is in perfect condition and hasn't ever looked better!

I like the Kiehl's Rare Earth Oatmeal cleanser. It has clay and oatmeal and is very gentle but good at controlling oiliness. You can apply it to your T zone and leave it on for a few minutes to let the clay suck out the oil. You can get a sample at a department store who has a Kiehl's counter.

I have extreamely sensitive skin. I have used Cetaphil as a facial cleanser for years. I mosturize once a day- in the morning, with DDF Daily Matte SPF 15. It works like a dream and is oil free, doesn't leave any white residue being that it is a sunscreen.
I also have a regiment designed by my dermotologist. Oral medicaton for adult acne. A topical gel also keeps break outs under control.
What ever your problems are skin wise, you should be able to figure out a daily routine that is consistent and easy to apply.

Hi! Hope my reply is not too late. I'm sure you have considered all the other's
suggestions & most likely decided on which cleanser or moisturizer you should try. Well, here's mine...if you're on a budget I recommend Neutrogena cleansers. Moisturizer I highly recommend SKII Hydrating UV Cream...its a light texture cream with SPF15. You may want to check out the website at www.SKII.com.

Hysteric:biggrin:

IntlSet said:
Amanda, can you tell me what you're using for blackheads?

My latest discovery is Clinique Dramatically Different Moisturizing GEL. Yes, we all hated that gross yellow lotion, but this stuff is amazing! It's the only truly non-greasy product I know of. It moisturizes my dry cheeks but doesn't make my T-zone feel overly oily either.

I have yet to find a really awesome cleanser. I used Cetaphil Cleanser for Oil Skin and it did the job alright. There's probably better out there.

for the blackheads i use Jurlique's Moor Mud mask, i just smear a little bit on my nose every night before bed and wash it off in the morning. after about three days i could REALLY tell a difference. it was recommended to me by a girl that i got a facial from at a spa, she said it was the only thing that ever worked for her. so far, it's the only thing that has ever worked for me, too! and i think i might try the gel moisturizer, the clinique lady recommended that to me one time for my skin type.

and thanks for all the suggestions everyone, i'm going to write them down and head to the mall today and see what's up.