Going to Toronto for Labor Day weekend! Any suggestions???

1. My husband and I are very excited about going and we received a few suggestions like the Distillery District, CN Tower, College St. (for bars), St. Lawrence Market, Royal Ontario Museum, Queen Street West and Yorkville (for shopping). Any other hidden gems that you would like to share with me? I appreciate any input!
  2. The beaches are kind of cool...there is a boardwalk and some nice restaurants and stores along Queen street, which is just a block or two from the beach.

The AGO is pretty good, though I'm not sure if they have finished the renovations. If they haven't, don't bother with it; they make you pay full price for admission but only have a handful of work out on display.

Another suggestion would be Casa Loma. I went for the first time this year with some family who were visiting, and while it wasn't exactly my type of thing, its a very popular tourist attraction.

For shopping, Yorkville is probably the best place to be. You can also try Yorkdale Mall, but it's quite a trek from downtown.

Where will you be staying? This is all I can think of right now. If you want any more suggestions or have questions feel free to PM me.
  3. Also, just wanted to add that I think the CNE opens that weekend as well.
  4. i love toronto. the old distillery district is nice, chicago was filmed there,the bata shoe museum is also great! holt renfrew is a nice department store. my SO has a thing for public transport (sad i know but he is in transport design) and they have a great system in toronto, trams and underground but the city is small enough to walk around.
  5. thanks for sharing.
    I plan to go there sometimes this Xmas.
  6. I just got back from a long weekend there - it's a great city. Great shopping along Bloor St and Holt Renfrow is a great dept store. It's also about an hour and a half drive to Niagara Falls. I would recommend doing the Maid of the Mist boat ride under the Falls.
  7. Thank you so much for all of your suggestions! I really and truly appreciate it. They are all very helpful.:tup:

8. Thank you for the suggestion. Someone did mention CNE to me, but weren't very good at explaining what it is. Can you give me some insight?
  9. Thank you for all of your suggestions! We are staying at the Sheraton City Center located on Queen St. We were told that we are within distance from everything. Just curious, what kind of tourist attraction is Casa Loma? Let me know. :okay:
  10. CNE is canadian national exhibition. it is basically walking around and just looking at random stuff. they also have amusement park rides (the portable ones like ferris wheel etc.) i went last year and didn't find it that much fun. i guess depends on the person.
  11. i love casa loma, its a big old house.
  12. CNE is pretty much what 993 explained..it's similar to an American state fair I guess. I know that over labour day weekend they have the air show (if you're into airplanes..I went once and found that part kind of neat) and also I think this year they have the urban music festival. If you're going to go, make sure you get your tickets in advance online, because you could be waiting in line for ages (as in, a few hours at least). The website is http://www.theex.com/ so you can see if there is anything going on that interests you.

In a nutshell, Casa Loma is a castle that this Victorian industrialist with too much money built for himself and his wife. He lost all his money and was forced to sell it, and now it's a tourist attraction. It's pretty cool to see just the amazing amount of work put into the place. Plus, you can subway it there very easily.

If you're looking into clubbing/nightlife, your hotel is only one block away from Richmond Street, which is the heard of Toronto's nightclub scene.

Have a good trip!
  13. CNE is awesome. It's a tradition for me. Some say it's boring but it really depends on who you go with and what you decide to do when you're there. It only costs $15 to get in and there are so many great deals you can get. You can buy products made from all parts of the world at bargain prices. The rides have gotten better this year. And as the name suggests, there are various exhibits you can visit. Also, Ontario Place is just a bridge away.
    I strongly think you should drop by CNE during your visit. It's downtown in the midst of all the city's greatest attractions. After a long day of sightseeing fun, have dinner in one of our awesome restaurants. We have lots of them.

I sound like a spokesperson at the top of one of those double-decker tourist buses. Lol.
  14. If you do go down to Niagara Falls, you should definately visit some of the wineries along the way to Niagara Falls if you enjoy wine.
  15. Bloor Street West- Holt Renfrew, LV, Channel...basically many great things come together

Lots of great restaurants, Rosewater supper club is great for a fancy dinner. The CN tower is pretty cool to see as a tourist, they have a restaurent there you can do for dinner as well, also nice.