going to grad school vs. getting a job

1. My husband and I have been trying to figure out what to do for some time now and still aren't sure, so I'd appreciate any input you guys could give me. To give you a little background information: I will be graduating with my b.s. in accounting and my husband in computer science in May. He is currently considering a master's program and I am thinking of either completing the 150 credit hours needed to sit for the CPA exam (most likely while pursuing my master's of accounting) or law school (I just took the LSAT on Saturday). I'm still not 100% sure about law school....I'm waiting to see how I did so that I may get an idea of which schools are within my reach.

The alternative to postgraduate degrees would be for one or both of us to accept one of the entry-level positions we have been/will be offered. DH was recently offered a position which pays about 15k above the average for computer science graduates and 5k above the for software engineers. He is supposed to accept/decline that offer within the next two weeks, but in the mean time he has a few more interviews for positions that are likely to be even more lucrative.

Here's the problem: We don't know what to do!!:confused1: If he were to take a job after graduation, I would either look for a master's program nearby, look into a nearby law school, or find a job myself. If I were to be accepted to a really great business or law school, he would either look into a nearby school or else find himself a job. We've decided that we will follow whoever is presented with the best opportunity.

So what are your thoughts? I would really appreciate any advice anyone could offer. Thank you!

2. Can hubby do both? A masters part time and work? Or you the CPA whilst working? This seems a really great relationship where both partners are happy to do what is best for the marriage and not just for self! Refreshing in this "me" generation

3. Unless you've both had work experience in these fields (i.e., law, accounting, etc), I would recommend getting a job before you embark on graduate or law school. Law school is a huge committment and you should have some idea of what the job would be like before you do it. Plus, I believe that both grad school and law schools like to see some work experience when considering applicants.

4. From experience, it makes the most sense IMO to have your hubby take a job and for you to either head to law school or get your masters in accounting. A CPA will get you a great job, even if you don't have experience, and of course, you can't work as a lawyer until you've got a law degree. If your hubby is willing to support you while you're in school, he can always get his masters part-time while he's working or wait til you're done.

I'm currently in a masters program for accounting and I don't have any accounting experience...let us know what you decide to do! It's good to see you and your DH working together.

5. Your solution sounds fair.
    I would pick further education for both of you if this was financially (geographically too) possible.

6. Well from my experience, if you can afford it, finish your studies first. I had the brilliant idea of working whilst I go to grad school at nights and the near future is not looking good LOL

7. Here's my current situation. Graduated in June with my BA in literature (hold the laughs!). I would like to pursue a masters/teaching credentials, but I spent 5 years being broke in college and quite frankly, I needed a break. After our Europe trip, I immediately got a job at an architectural design company as an admin assistant. I LOVE my company and there is room for me to grow here. Plus, when/if I decide that the time is right for me to go back to school, my job will support me and I can go in the evenings or on weekends.

My BF, on the other hand, also graduated in June with his BA in business management economics. He is trying to find an entry level job in accounting/finance, but is having a really hard time. Instead, he may just go back to school to get his CPA certification (and he is lucky, his parents are supporting him right now since he doesn't have a job).

Working for awhile before going back can give you the chance to make a bit of money before plunging back into school. If you try and job and hate it, you can go to school right away (in the winter quarter), or if you find a job you love with room to grow that will help you for your masters, you might even stay awhile. The money definitely helps though. Best of luck, let us know how it goes!

8. You have quite a contrast there: computer science, a field that is still so young and growing so fast that there is no telling where it will be two years from now, and law, which is a matter of tradition, precedent, and custom. Law requires learning what has been done.
    Computer science requires doing something new.
    I think, under those circumstances, one should go to school for law, but jump right into the marketplace for computing.

And that's about all I can usefully say, except good luck to you both!

9. If you are enjoying what you are studying, ITA with Bambie.

10. We are considering this, but I haven't really talked to anyone who has taken this route. Is it doable? Or is it too much to handle? We both have experience in our fields, so we're fairly confident that we have some idea of what to expect as far as an entry level position goes, but I'm less sure about what it would be like to take classes at the same time. If anyone has done this, I'd really appreciate your input.

As far as law school goes, I don't have any experience...just mock trial 6th-12th grade (for whatever that is worth). I do know that both tax and immigration law are appealing to me, especially after being introduced to it while dealing with my husband's immigration issues for 4+ years. I guess the thing that is holding me back on that is the fact that I really want to have kids, and I really want to be able to devote a decent amount of time to those kids. I was about 85% sure until I started reading this thread http://forum.purseblog.com/general-discussion/tpf-lawyers-and-lawyers-to-be-post-here-139068.html and various articles about future careers in law.

I don't know...we're just both so confused. I guess it's good to have a lot of options, but I feel like we're being rushed into these decisions. (dh is supposed to reply to IBM by the 16th which is before 1/2 of his other interviews)

Oh, and did I mention that a couple of companies are interested in his technical and foreign language skills (he's from France) and are considering offering him positions in France? That would be a whole other thread, but it just adds to the confusion. Our life there would be so much different.

I'm sorry to go on and on about this. I hardly ever post--I'm a big time lurker, but I'm in desperate need of other people's input/experience/information. Thanks again. I really do appreciate any advice you can give.:yes:

11. Here is my input.... CS -- your hubby does not need a MA degree in that...to do that its just a waste of money. If you're in CS, you are either really good at what you do...or you just won't be good in it no matter how much schoolin' you get. Most of the Tech companies ask for your skills (after you have your BS)...so when you go for your interview...they ask you tech. questions, not much focus will be on your school background. They need your tech ability...but if you hubby is into research then Master is something to consider....otherwise he needs to build up on his skills outside of school to move up in the field.
    As for you....if you can get yourself into one of the top law school and have the interest in corporate law, then go for it! ....otherwise I'd say, save your money and avoid law school..unless you plan to be an 'ambulance chaser'..no offense to anyone...
    but if you have the true desire to fight for injustice...as I did..I did my work for domestic violence victims...then yes, go for it, but don't go for it for the money unless as i've said your in one of the top law schools for corporate law...i hope i'm not being too blunt....

so if helping people is not your true love nor is corporate law...
    i strongly suggest you get your CPA...I have alot of freinds who graduated with a bs and became certified...and they're doing great in one of the top accounting firms...and then have that company pay for their grad studies...
    so there is something you can consider...

good luck in your future endeavor!

12. well it depends. I don't know much about law but usually grad school results in much better wages afterwards.

13. For law school, work experience isn't required or even necessary. Most people go straight out of undergrad these days. Think about how much money you would make working now and compare it to what you would make after getting your J.D. It is likely better, cost-wise, to go ahead and go to law school and not lose out on a few years of the higher salary. Hopefully you will have a good LSAT score and be able to get into a top school, or have the option of going to a top regional school and getting some scholarship money. Good luck!

14. Most law/grad programs are not interested in work experience anymore (notable excepting being some business programs).

Go to school if you can afford it.