Going on strike...

1. After months of negotiating, our union gave the hospital administration a 10 day strike notice yesterday. We go on strike on the 14th if we don't have a new contract. *gulp* I'm dead. My condo will go into foreclosure after 2 months of living in it.
  2. So sorry to hear this Michelle. Have you considered taking a 4 or 6 week travel contract in a different state? Or is that against your union rules? (I live in AZ, no nurses union here)
  3. I've been looking around...not too many places around here are hiring for NICU. I guess I may have to look into a travel contract.
  4. If you can't find work at home I'm pretty sure Cali has plenty. You may want to call a travel recruiter and see what's paying where. I know it's a hassle to drop everything and go but the weather's nice there and you'll get paid enough to keep your place. I know cali's rules are time and a half over 8 hours (even if you don't do OT). Some companies offer quick start sign on bonus and completion bonus and your housing will be paid. I'd check allnurses.com to check for the best travel compaines. I have no idea how strikes work....are they for a set period of time or can they end at any moment? Do you have experience in any other field of nursing?
  5. i have no idea how they work either. when i started working, the hospital had just renewed the contract earlier that year. nope, i only have 5 months experience in med surg...the rest of my experience is nicu. thanks for the link to allnurses.com. i'll look into that.
  6. Good luck to you! I hope you find something somewhere. Things will be alright. Hopefully your contract will be renewed. Let me know if you need anything! :flowers:
  7. Sorry to hear this. I hope you're able to work out something.
  8. Hope it doesn't happen Swee, I was just about to say this is going on in NJ and looked at your location. This state really needs some serious help! PBI (Passaic General) is looking to be taken over again. Its really sad.
  9. Yeah, Englewood Hospital is on strike, too. Not sure if they're still on strike, but I know they were on strike for at least 3 weeks.
  10. Yikes!! I'll keep my fingers crossed for you!!
  11. I hope it all works out..for you (and for PHH)..LOL...I think it will get settled..crossing fingers!!
  12. Oh, I am so sorry to hear this! I have been there in that position and it sucks, I know!! I wish you luck and hope this will be resolved for you soon. Just remember don't worry too much cause it doesn't help and only stresses you out more.
  13. Retired CWA (AFL/CIO) here-different union I know but we went on strike 2 years ago and you cannot travel to work during a strike. I thought all contracts provide an addendum for strike pay which granted is not much but better than nothing. As a nurse I would think the settling of the strike would be over very quickly it is not as if things can go on without nurses! Personally I am not pro-union but thats due to my personal experience with it. When our contract was settled one of the ratification points had to do with long term disability which I am on now and I needed an attorney to get my benefits my union didn't do jack for me. I wish you luck but truly I wish the patients more luck-they are the ones who will truly suffer. Also contact your mortgage lender and advise them of the impending strike-they will work with you.
  14. Sorry to hear this Swee7bebe, i hope things work out for you.
  15. Exactly! I don't know what they expect us to do on the 14th. I don't think I'd be able to leave my assignment knowing that no one is there to take care of them!