Gluten allergy

1. I am starting this absed upon an allergy thread I saw on this board.
    In the past six months I have begun to think i'm allergic to wheat gluten.

What I want to know is, how does one get screened for an allergy such as that?
    i have stopped eating fooods like pasta which i love and soy/tofu type foods.

TMI The reason I think I have an allergy such as this , i GET REALLY BAD STOMACH CRAMPING and really bad gas
    like to the point where my husband is like ewwww grosss

which quite frankly is embarassing
    realizing that we've only been married like 10 months and all those cute things when we were dating has gone out the window

ie it's cute if i burp isn't so cute anymore
  2. I can relate to this. I am allergic to gluten. You should see a gastroenterologist who will do a blood test or send you for one.

After being on a strict diet I felt better after a month or so. I have never eaten wheat again. It isn't worth the discomfort.

If you have any questions feel free to pm me.
  3. You could eliminate it entirely for a week and see what happens. No symptoms, then you have an allergy or an intolerance at the least. Anything with wheat and a liguid will contain gluten. Eat rice and rice products for a week or 2 and see what happens . No soy sauce though, many brands contain wheat.
  4. Sometimes this can be celiac disease. You can ask your doctor for a blood test to rule this out. Some people who are allergic to the gluten in wheat or other breads and grains, it is really celiac. Just check that out to be certain.
  5. what are some of your side effects of gluten?
  6. Does rice contain gluten?
  7. JMO, but if your symptoms go away when you don't eat wheat, just don't eat it and don't worry about getting an "official" diagnosis. is a great resource to help you make sure that you are avoiding the right foods. I once had a VERY SCARY reaction to flax seed, which I had not realized was a problem.

8. i don't think it's about getting an official diagnosis
    but a part of me knows myself that if i am told you are a llergic to this
    than i will sit down and really pay attention to what i can and can't eat
  9. If you think you have an allergy, you should go and get diagnosed. Coming from a person with a huge long list of awful allergies, I know how the allergy process works. You need to be seen about it because you can know how serious the allergy is. Make an appt with your dr and tell them what is going on and they will refer you to a gastro or allergist. Food allergies are nothing to play around with.

If you are allergic to gluten, and you have Celiacs, you have to be VERY careful. So go see a Dr- it is one hour of your day which can make the rest of your life much better :flowers:
  10. a friend of my family is allergic to gluten severely, his wife has to be very careful not to cross contaminate anything or he gets very ill. i would definitely get a blood test done to make sure.
  11. Thank you everyone.

I think once my insurance kicks in, hubby has to call on monday and get the policy number as it was supposed to go into affect July. I assume July 1st. So I'm making my list of things to be done once we have insurance.

I figure stop one will be regular Dr. He's an older guy who has seen everything, so i'm not so hesitant to go to him.
    And we'll see if he can do the bloodowrk himself or send me elsewhere.

But I thank everyone, just because I know my dad had scratch allergy tests done probably about fifteen years ago. But who worries about this until something not great occurs?