Give up Hermes???????????? Whaaat?

shopmom411 said:
Yeah....this one bothered me....we've been friends for a long time. just an icky thing that happened tonight....that's all....makes me feel bad....

No-one says this kind of thing to men who buy Ferrari's and those ridiculous Hummers that you only need if your in the middle of Iraq and speed boats and high-end audio equipment and, well whatever else men buy......sports teams and stuff...I don't know....
EXACTLY!! Also, if you went out and bought a few paintings that were $5k or $10K or even a watch, no one would say anything. Hermes items ARE art!!!
Sorry, Shopmom, that your friend made you feel this way. :sad: :sad:

D, sorry that your friend said something so insensitive. I've had my share of unkind comments from friends as well. I get a little sensitive about them but the bad feelings blow over soon enough. All I have to do is take one big huff of Hermes leather and I'm fine again.

Good Morning friends! I'm sitting here with my first cup of coffee reading all your wise and wonderful comments!!!!! Thank you!!!! I've met so many people here on the PF that I would never have met without my love and passion for Hermes!!!!!!

You guys are the GREATEST!!!!

....and NOW, i think it's time to bring the Croc home.....

My opinion is if it makes you happy, life is too short. As long as you are not charging yourself into financial debt. Since I am married, but I don't/can't have kids I am not depriving anybody of anything!
Handbags are not the only superficial collector's items in the world. There are sports cars and people who go bonkers decorating. My mother is constantly redecorating-as a kid I never knew what was coming up next in the family room and living room.
If she is a good friend, just let it go. If she isn't a good friend, I would try to spend time with other people who are more understanding.

Oh goodness, what a twit! *freshens Shopmom's coffee* Sometimes people don't think before they blahspeakblah but REALLY- a direct snarky comment on something that is important to you?? Rude.

My Hermes flies completely under the radar here and is for my own enjoyment exclusively as there's no one near me who would understand or appreciate it. Except for hubby the day Birkin came home. :yes:

There's one person in the family who would know the Birkin from seeing in the media but I'd never dare bring it to a family gathering as I don't want or need comments or later their speculation as to whether I should have it or not. No one would question their home improvements or vehicles. I love my Hermes and other bags and... as Billie Holiday sang...

ain't nobody's business if I do
:whistle:

Shopmom, I am sorry that your friend made you feel this way. It bothers me that people think because we choose to spend our money collecting handbags (which I too believe are works of art) that we don't realize there are other important things in this life too. I love to come here and talk about handbags because I don't have anyone else that shares this passion. I do spend a lot of time here, but handbags are not my whole life. I volunteer, support charitible organizations, spend time with my friends and family, etc. It's all (including my passion for Hermes and bags) a part of what makes me me.

Shopmom, I always enjoy reading your posts. You always make me laugh and when I am feeling down your posts can cheer me up. I am happy that you are a part of this community. Don't let her comments get you down.

Good morning!!! I'm a little late and everyone has already said everything so perfectly. :yes: Ugh, I hate it when people make comments like this! I used to go out with a group of women whose husbands worked with mine. (thank goodness we moved. LOL) When I got my first LV I was excited and my friend who was excited for me (I got her addicted to purses) was asking me questions. Well, this other lady said, Oh Heather if you ever have children you will realize all this stuff is so unimportant. :rant: It made me so angry because 1. Purses are my passion, deal with it and 2. I'm 34 and have been married for 14 years...if we don't have kids by now, why the heck would you throw it in my face? :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
D, you are a wonderful person!!!! I'm sure your friend just had a moment of jealousy and like you said it probably has more to do with being jealous of the kind of relationship and love and family you have. She just took it out on your poor Hermes! :sad: Go get that Croc girl!!!!!!!:yahoo:

Shopmom, don't let her comments get you down. Friendships have their ups and downs, so just let it slide, but if she continues..........well, then say something. If you ladies are truly good friends, it'll be forgotten soon enough..............it'll be forgotten even faster once you get the croc in your hands. Heehee.

shopmom411 said:
So, tonight at dinner at Dona Tomas in Berkeley, a very close friend of mine said, "oh one day you'll give up on all this superficial stuff and realize what's important" referring to my handbag obsession. I didn't get upset with her at the time....only now, 2-hours later I'm thinking about it and it's not sitting very well with me.

Have you had friends say this kind of thing to you? What's your reaction?

Why couldn't I think of a snappy come-back?????? :sad:

Bloody Hell, are you sure your friend is not my SO in disguise? That's the kind of :censor: he yaps about all the time. It pisses me off so much!! Although in my case, it was because in our situation I found him to be controlling and double-standarded.

Sorry, probably not the type of response you're looking for but I woke up pissed.:Push:

shopmom411 said:
No-one says this kind of thing to men who buy Ferrari's and those ridiculous Hummers that you only need if your in the middle of Iraq and speed boats and high-end audio equipment and, well whatever else men buy......sports teams and stuff...I don't know....

Yeah because somehow that kind of expense has become an "accepted" practice for guys even though IMO it's not economically efficient. HOWEVER, I think most of them buy these things simply because it "relaxes" them - that's the excuse a certain someone uses anyway.

Double standards, I tell you!!!:rant:

crochetbella said:
2. I'm 34 and have been married for 14 years...if we don't have kids by now, why the heck would you throw it in my face? :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
God, I hate this question. I am 42 and people are constantly asking me, do you have kids? They don't realize how sensative I am about this issue. My answer is always, no, I had tumors in my uterus. That usually shuts them up as no one wants to talk about that.
I know it is a little drastic, but that is one personal question that I don't like!

crochetbella said:
Well, this other lady said, Oh Heather if you ever have children you will realize all this stuff is so unimportant. :rant: It made me so angry because 1. Purses are my passion, deal with it and 2. I'm 34 and have been married for 14 years...if we don't have kids by now, why the heck would you throw it in my face? :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

OMG, Heather! This is a worse thing that can be said than anything else! This woman is a BRICK! Jesus.....how insensitive can one person be?!?!?!:censor: So glad you moved closer to town and can make some new friends and visit Hermes on a weekly basis now.....maybe we can meet up on Saturday????

**hugs** Fendigal and Donna! I know, the thing is she said stuff like that all the time...Clueless!!! She also talked in graphic detail about her sex life with her husband which was MUCH worse. Those are images you don't want in your head believe me!!! :wtf: :roflmfao:

I am so happy to be out of there and closer to SF and Hermes!!!! Saturday sounds great! Let's shop!!!! :wlae:

crochetbella said:
Good morning!!! I'm a little late and everyone has already said everything so perfectly. :yes: Ugh, I hate it when people make comments like this! I used to go out with a group of women whose husbands worked with mine. (thank goodness we moved. LOL) When I got my first LV I was excited and my friend who was excited for me (I got her addicted to purses) was asking me questions. Well, this other lady said, Oh Heather if you ever have children you will realize all this stuff is so unimportant. :rant: It made me so angry because 1. Purses are my passion, deal with it and 2. I'm 34 and have been married for 14 years...if we don't have kids by now, why the heck would you throw it in my face? :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
D, you are a wonderful person!!!! I'm sure your friend just had a moment of jealousy and like you said it probably has more to do with being jealous of the kind of relationship and love and family you have. She just took it out on your poor Hermes! :sad: Go get that Croc girl!!!!!!!:yahoo:

OMG, somebody said that to me on more than one occasion as well!! I found that comment rude, condescending, and insensitive!! Honestly, WHO is to judge about this type of things? I don't understand WHY people have to be so judgemental and feel the need to force their beliefs on others.

I HATE to say this but comments and questions like this are part of the reasons that I do not want to have children:rant: