Gilmore girls

:lol: I think we agree on most everything except the question of whether Jess was "right" for Rory.

I get that when they were teenagers, Jess was just 2cool4sK00l, and Rory was the model student, and the model everything, but Jess did not degrade into a life of crime, he went to work in a small publishing house and wrote a book, and actually ended up being a much better bet for Grown-Up Boyfriend/Husband Material than Logan, whose life, regardless of whom he might persuade to share it, was so full of pre-existing family commitments that he would really be more suited to a more "behavior-specific" marriage, as one of our own tPF scholars put it a while ago, than to the "individual-specific" relationship Rory had grown up viewing as the ideal.

You may be right, however, about Logan being her first adult love - though obviously she was not his - he was not nearly as "mature" as Rory, and the series ends before we know if Logan will ever have an "adult love" in that "individual-specific" sense.

Which is probably why I have convinced myself that for Rory, Logan was basically her own glorified Rebound - from Jess! - and that is why she was able to walk away with such a sure step, because she knew that if she did not, she would be pulling a Dean - and "settling" for the fruit that dropped from the lowest branch, even though what she really wanted was the unbruised and juicier one that would necessitate removing shoes and climbing!

And I am sure that everyone will agree that we have both given these issues waaay too much thought!

So to prove your point that we have thought WAY too much about this....

I think Logan was the middle ground between Jess and Dean. He had a little of both their characteristics. He was a challenge for her intellectually and the only one in the show that really could match her in socio-economic background. Although he didn't show it in the begining and really f'd up, he did love her and they worked really well as a couple (like them cooking together). I think it was a big decision for him to want to marry her. I agree that he was tied to his family but was trying to move on by accepting the job in CA and wanting her with him. From my POV, the only reason she didn't marry him was because she wasn't ready and she knew it. She had her own goals to accomplish before adding "Mrs" to her name.

Well, you know, I had not thought about it in exactly that way, but I think you make a good point.

If Logan was Dean-like in his provincial little core, a little too skewed to Rory's Emily gene cluster, he balanced that with at least some urges toward a more Jess-ish hearkener to the beat of his own drum, and if I think of him in that way, then he does seem to be a much better match for Rory's own dual nature.

But it's a good point that I can stay with only to a certain point before my own urges to extrapolate all their futures kick in and mess it up!

Logan was, when his Moment of Crossroads arrived, unable to politely wish his father a safe journey, and assure him that the resort cabin would be vacated forthwith, and that he would be accompanying his guest and her family back to her home.

My interpretation of the cooking together scene was that it was intended to demonstrate to us just how easily Rory was able to slip into the role of Gracious Hostess of Luxury, just as her stint at the DAR showed us how well she fit into that role, hitting us on the head, in case we had somehow missed it, with the anvil that for all her protests, Emily's daughter had not fallen nearly as far from the tree as Lorelai wished she could, and thus her own little apple had grown up in the image that was an amalgam of both the not-so-different-after-all older Gilmore Girls.

This has the advantage of making Logan much more "like" Rory than first glance might indicate - but that's a two-edged sword - Just as Lorelai failed, not through any fault or lack of effort, but simply because she was who she was, to "be different" from Emily in any but the most superficial ways - so Logan was unable to do much besides sow an oat or two, pout and rail a bit at the fate he - because of who HE was - eventually marched off dutifully to accept!

Jess, on the other hand, was the Real Deal, which is one of the reasons I always thought Lorelai took such an instant dislike to him.

Not because of surface stuff like "being rude," but because he was what she had so long aspired to, but could never achieve - he really was an individual, who really did not give a spork what "society" thought about him, he was able to accept, develop and use his gifts without feeling obliged to have them stamped with official-looking seals and strings, like Rory, or frustratedly try to apply them to the one piece of driftwood she ever grasped, like Lorelai.

Fast forward forty years into a Rory-Logan future and we have a slightly hipper version (they would always, I think, cook well together) of Richard and Emily.

But imagine Rory married to Jess and just about anything is possible. Jess was the one who would get her to climb up and jump off the roof holding an umbrella in the more solid sense, all Logan could offer was the literal, college prank version of the metaphor!

And back to my earlier opinion that the whole Rory-Dean "affair" was one of the more realistic subplots.

Among the things we were never encouraged to ask (many of them ranted in previous posts) was the puzzling question of why someone of Lorelai's obvious abilities, who was able to rise through the ranks from housekeeping maid to running the hotel was still in the same little town, working at that same hotel, sixteen years after getting that maid job!

And now I should shut up before I totally scandalize people by expressing the view that the Luke and Lorelai Dream would have been less than the Bestest and Most.Romantic.Thing.Ever.

Those who would not be scandalized already know.

Good Grief! With THIS much analysis, you'd think we were talking about The Hills! :lol:

I am a huge Gilmore Girls fan, so I cannot believe I just found this thread! I was disappointed that the writers pretty much wrote Dean off the show. When Rory was with Dean, I thought Dean was perfect for her. When Rory was with Jess, I thought he was perfect for her, too. I think Jess had grown to love Rory, but he had a difficult time expressing his feelings since he was trying hard to preserve his bad boy image. When Jess made an appearance with his book in one of the later seasons, I was hoping that Jess would get back together with Rory since I did not like the Logan character. I was glad when Rory refused his proposal -- I did not think that he was right for Rory at all.

I am a complete dork -- when I get bored, I go on YouTube and I look up cute Rory and Jess moments. I really liked them together.

Gilmore Girls Movie In The Works?

Lauren Graham recently discussed the possibility of her old WB/CW series Gilmore Girls getting a film version, and revealed that it might actually be in the works!
She said:
"It might [happen]. What's funny to me is that in all these years, no-one ever talked about [a film] except the fans. But now people… who could actually make it happen are talking about it. I think it could be good, but I wonder if we've waited too long. I don't want to be walking around the town square with a cane. It's hard to say because the show was never very plot driven. That is what might be uncovered in a two-hour movie."

i wonder how they would do it.... like how many years down the road??? it's not like they could start off where they ended... although neither of them have really changed physically.... but it's been how many years since the show ended???

the other day i almost busted out my gilmore girls dvds :biggrin:

I say they do it around Rory's Wedding. They start with Luke and Lorelai married and we can see where their lives have lead them. It's been enough time that it would be perfect. I would love to see Rory back with Logan. He was the only BF I thought was good enough for her but also kept her on her toes.

I would love a movie! From the beginning the show reminded me of the relationship I have with my mom..other people have even said we're similar to the Gilmore girls! I still watch it everyday on ABC Family :smile: