Gift ideas for my secretary?

What's her personality like? Is she the "oh a gift certificate is so unthoughtful type" or the "yay, I love gift certificates because I get to pick out what I want" I'm the gift certificate type, but I've learned to detect those who aren't.

Spa treatment with the day off (probably more than $50) - when she gets into work send her off to the spa with instructions "not to come back for the day". As well you can arrange for a nice lunch, etc for her.

Uh, sorry I didn't respond earlier. I do not like to buy gift certificates either, for the reasons mentioned. However, I have only been working with this secretary for a little under 2 months, and I don't really know what her hobbies are. When we chit-chat it is mostly about her daughters and what they are up to.

There is a spa in our building -- I think the spa gift certificate might be a nice idea, then she can go get a manicure or pedicure on lunch break or after work. I think it is a pretty nice spa, and a spa gift certificate is a little different from a regular one because it's basically like you're actually just buying the manicure or whatever, not just handing over a GC.

Just my personal opinion and I do apologise if it sounds ungrateful but if I was your secretary and I had been with you for a while and worked my butt off I would be disappointed with a gift certifcate. Obviously I wouldn't expect anything at all but if I was to receive a gift I would hope that a little bit of thought had gone into it and that if I had worked for you for a while you would've have gotton to know one or two personal details about me.

EDITTED: Sorry, did not know she's only been with you for two months! But I'll just leave what I said below...

Agree. Also, depending on the salary differences between the two of you, $50 may not be enough. I do not know of a nice spa that even offers a pedicure for only $50. If this is in addition to a generous Christmas bonus, then that would be fine, but otherwise, I would chuck in more money if its a gift certificate you'll be giving.

The spa certificates I've given my secretary have generally been around $150 - $200 and she has loved it every time because this is not something that she would do for herself (or perhaps cannot afford). Anyhow, I've gotten good feeback from that.

Fatefullotus, what a wonderful gift!

For future consideration perhaps (say, Christmas)? A themed journal by SimplyBliss:

http://www.etsy.com/view_listing.php?listing_id=7214707

SimplyBlissdragonfly.jpg

Quote:

Blue and Brown Journal Cover with a Dragon Fly w/spiral binding and a Blessed Lable attached.

Ribbons may vary depending on the availability.

You can choose this cover to go with any of the theme journals that you desire:

1. Self Check Journal with 10 questions, such as How are you expressing your self spiritually on a daily basis? And Do I need to modify my spiritual life? These questions are also applied to the Physical, Emotional, Financial, Emotional and Social area of your life. At the end of each question there are 2 golden pages that allow you to paste anything inspiring.

2. A Mother’s Journals: This captures details about your Mother such as;
Her favorite hobby, quote, scripture, song, author, what was her most memorable moment with her Mother? Who was her favorite person as a child? What childhood memory stands out to your Mother the most?, At what age did your mother learn to love her Self? What does your mother love most about being a Woman? What is your purpose in life and so much more...... There is also a Father’s version.

3. A Baby’s Journal: which captures the first years of your child’s life such as; the first time he/she sat up, rolled over, move an object from one hand to the other, repeat vowel noises, such as "ah" or "ooh”, smiled, sits with support, claps hands, waves bye-bye, their first birthday party etc…….It’s a great Keepsake.

4. A Coaching Journal: That assists you to reach your goal. This journal has 3 different sections Assessment, Plan and Action. Some of the questions are: What positive attributes or talents do you possess?, What positive words or people inspire you?, Do you know what your purpose is in life or the direction to which you’re headed?, Think Big, List ways to make use of time previously wasted, set up a manifestation board. It’s easier to attain what you want, once you visualize it etc……

5. A Writing Journal: This allows you to freestyle and write whatever you desire.

6. A Phone and Address Book: This book will allow you to Keep up with all of your friends and family, also a great back up in case your cell phone is not working.

All Journals measure 8.5” x 5.5 “

Customized your journal:
You can request plastic coil spiral binding with every journal ($2.99) and you will have lines on both sides.
You can also request my unique ribbon binding, which only has lines on one side.
You can request a specific label to be attached to the ribbon binding such as: Faith, Blessed, Gratitude, Spirit, Miracle and Hope.

I also carry mini writing journals that measure 4.25” x 5.5” and standard size journals that measures 8.5” x 11”.

I love personalized orders and I will work with you to create personalize page(s) in your journal, with words, dates, names, quotes, poetry etc…. (Extra $2.00/page) or customize an entire journal (extra fee according to the request)

Simply Bliss journals are great gift items. All journals will receive complimentary wrapping. I will happily ship to a gift address at no additional cost.