Gift giving etiquitte

keeping the extra gifts around is a great idea!

It always happens with those "on the line" kind of people, like neighbors and coworkers that you arent sure if you should or shouldn't get a gift. Chocolate sounds like a pretty good idea. What other stuff is a good "universal" gift?

I always keep holiday Yankee Candles around, I gift wrap them beautifully, put a card on them such as "TO: HAPPY HOLIDAYS FROM: my name and they are ready to give. I like the candles as they dont spoil and I can keep them for the following year. PLUS if you are smart and shop the day after xmas you can get them for half price!!!

I always keep extra "gifts" around for those instances. I have had several random neighbors give me gifts and it was nice to be able to go get "theirs." What I keep around are wrapped chocolates and random gift cards to Best Buy, Home Depot and Amex ones. I also keep Christmas cards in envelopes so I just have to jot the persons name down and viola a gift! I did this when I worked too. It always amazed me how many co-workers gave me things!

I am SO doing this next year. This actually happened to me this year, but thankgoodness I got the present early so I had time to get them a gift before xmas.

I always keep holiday Yankee Candles around, I gift wrap them beautifully, put a card on them such as "TO: HAPPY HOLIDAYS FROM: my name and they are ready to give. I like the candles as they dont spoil and I can keep them for the following year. PLUS if you are smart and shop the day after xmas you can get them for half price!!!

SO SMART!!!
Although in my house candles last even less time than chocolate does, LOL. I love this idea, though, and definitely am going to stock way up on candles for next year.

I have a little bit of a hard time at this time of the year, because I'm Jewish but the majority of people I know/am acquainted with are Christian. Therefore, unfortunately, Christmas sort of sneaks up on me a lot of the time (and I never expect my Jewish friends to give gifts at Hanukkah because it's not really that big of a holiday--but I am surprised sometimes with unexpected gifts, which I love but then scramble to reciprocate). :s So to anyone out there whose gift arrived sort of late, um, I am sorry!!!

I always get caught up in this.. Every single year I either don't have a gift for someone who gets me something or I get something perfect for someone who gives me a little something. I think I'm at the age now where it doesn't really matter. The friends who stick around whether or not you give them some great gift are your true ones.

Ugh, that's the worst! I give gifts to give gifts... not to receive. However, I hate though when you go out of your way to get something for someone and they don't even bother to thank you! A thank you can mean so much more than a gift in return!

Exactly! I mean, I sent these things knowing that the people I sent them to are in school, and busy and short on cash. But is it too much to ask for a quick email or IM?

I had a lot of surprise gifts from officemate this year. I also felt awkward because for the past three days someone left a gift for me on the reception area and I haven't gotten anything for them. I'm on a tight budget these days due to overspending last Christmas :smile:

Thats so sweet of you to make these nice gifts to people, but a bummer that they don't appreaciate it. I always thank a person several times when they give me a gift so I hope I don't seem thoughtless esp if I don't have anything in return. Its just confusing as I don't even exchange presents with some of my closer friends and I get something from someone I consider an aquaintence. I think next year I will take the advice of fellow TPFers and get some additional presents to give out incase this happens again.

I really think that if you are really friends with a person its MUCH more about the appreciativeness than about the having a gift in return. Usually if you were on the fence with whether or not to give a gift, though, I think its also about feeling like someone thought of you enough to buy a gift, KWIM? For example, a coworker gets you something and you didn't get anything for them. But you pull out a pretty candle or something for them and its more like "oh wow, she thought to buy me something!" instead of them being disappointed that they thought of you but you didn't think of them. So while I would never give a close friend a candle or box of candy as an only present, I think its perfectly acceptable to give more casual friends or aquaintances things like this.

haha did I make sense?

I don't work or anything right now, so I don't have that problem anymore, but back when I did I would always have an extra gift or two with me when exchanging gifts with friends/co-workers. And I usually always needed them, too :P

I don't have any close friends that live near me anymore as we all dispersed after college but we still email and call each other all the time. I would totally get better gifts, maybe next year I will mail them something nice. Its just hard to exchange gifts when everyone is so far away. Who knows maybe I'm just really lazy. :shame:

This year I bought 12 swavorski (sp) crystal tree ornaments. They were the perfect back up xmas gift! People loved them!! Plus they come out with a different version every year and they have the date on them. They were lovely!

i have loads of extra gifts and cards for all occassions. this happened the other night, but it was the other way around. DF and i were going to dinner with some friends who came back into town, and we bought the couple some gifts for christmas. i felt bad because i knew she felt embarressed she didnt have anything for us. i didnt mean for her to feel this way. we didnt expect anything in return so we didnt mind they didnt have anything. we just enjoy their company.