Giant Madagascar Hissing Cockroach Brooch

I am going to :throwup:. But I agree it's cruel, even I hate cockroaches. They are one tough insects though.

"The cockroach is also one of the hardiest insects on the planet, capable of living for a month without food and remaining alive headless for up to a week. It can also hold its breath for 45 minutes and has the ability to slow down its heart rate." - wekipidia.org

lordguinny said:
Ooooooh my goodness!!! I think I am going to vomit.:throwup: I usually run away from roaches...I can't imagine attaching them to yourself on purpose! A friend at work showed me this the other day...apparantly they are VERY popular! :

On their website it says:
BlackChandelier Giant Madagascar Hissing Cockroach Brooch

"A little information on our little friends. These insects come in varied patterns and are decorated with the finest Austrian Swarovski crystal. Each roach takes about an hour of painstaking work to achieve his final magical glory. All roaches are male to ensure sterility, and come complete with a leash set. This consists of a gorgeous pin you attach to your clothing with a chain that clasps to the cockroach's carapace to keep him from running amok. The lifespan of these animals is approximately one year if housed and fed properly. This is not a guarantee, it is an estimate. Roaches love fresh bananas and must have access to fresh water at all times, a very damp paper towel or cotton ball will do the trick. Dehydration is the main cause of death. Keep him in a little terrarium in the dark and he will love you and be very responsive to your touch. Roaches are shipped overnight in a box and can be kept in this box for up to 4 days without food or water while you secure him more hospitable accommodations."

AAAAAAAAH!!! GROSS!!!

WOW!!! THE ONLY INSECT / ANIMAL that makes my skin crawl!!!! YUUUUCCCKKKKK....Would it be moving around while attached to you??? EEEWWWWEEEEE:nuts:

OMG, gross! And cruel to the (I can't believe I'm saying this) poor cockroach. This reminds me of a fad at state fairs in the 60s and 70s...vendors used to glue little chameleons to cardboard with a pin backing and people could buy them and pin them to their clothing. The novelty was that the chameleon would change the color of the wearer's clothing. So you'd wear the chameleon all day and then throw it away when it died. I was completely horrified when I heard about this practice, but my parents say that it was pretty commonplace at midwestern fairs. Of course no such cruelty happens today, I think the state fair in IL has also banned any animal prizes for games (I still remember winning goldfish and bunnies at fairs and I'm in my 20s).

vanojr9 said:
OMG, gross! And cruel to the (I can't believe I'm saying this) poor cockroach. This reminds me of a fad at state fairs in the 60s and 70s...vendors used to glue little chameleons to cardboard with a pin backing and people could buy them and pin them to their clothing. The novelty was that the chameleon would change the color of the wearer's clothing. So you'd wear the chameleon all day and then throw it away when it died. I was completely horrified when I heard about this practice, but my parents say that it was pretty commonplace at midwestern fairs. Of course no such cruelty happens today, I think the state fair in IL has also banned any animal prizes for games (I still remember winning goldfish and bunnies at fairs and I'm in my 20s).

Oh no! That has to be the saddest, cruelest thing I've ever heard! I can't imagine anyone wanting to do that to an animal, especially something as helpless as a chameleon. :sad:

Irishgal said:
Well, finally. Something posted on the PF that I don't want.

:roflmfao: :roflmfao: :roflmfao: This response cracked me up. So true, so true!

I agree with all the cruelty and disgusting comments. This is horrible. On a lighter side, though, I'd love to know how loud they hiss. Can you imagine the benefits? You can always get a seat on the subway, empty seats on all sides of you in a movie theatre, you'll probably be able to talk your way out a traffic ticket, great way to keep away skeezy guys in bars (just pull out the hissing roach)...how cool. I love how they only use the males, because the females bite. Ouch! :wtf:

KK said:
I am going to :throwup:. But I agree it's cruel, even I hate cockroaches. They are one tough insects though.

"The cockroach is also one of the hardiest insects on the planet, capable of living for a month without food and remaining alive headless for up to a week. It can also hold its breath for 45 minutes and has the ability to slow down its heart rate." - wekipidia.org

well that about takes care of my nightmare for the evening!
:wtf:

Am i the only one here that thinks this is super cool (i would never buy it and i agree with the whole animal cruelty) but i think the idea behind it is so effing hot and different, if it were a robotic cockroach that moved and lasted for ever i would buy it in a tick (excuse the pun lol)

^^^I think a few other people who posted above actually liked the idea of it too, naughty (ayla springs to mind, for e.g.).

And, like you, pretty much everybody agrees on the whole animal rights thing.

Oh, poor cockroaches! That's terrible! Who wants a big dirty bug hanging off their clothes anyway.

These cockroaches were in an episode of America's Next Top Model.

:wtf: I was born and raised in the southern united states where I've seen flying roaches that large that have landed on people. Believe me...those bugs weren't blinged out and worn as brooches. They became part of the pavement! YIKES I still get the willies! :yucky: