Giant Madagascar Hissing Cockroach Brooch

1. Ooooooh my goodness!!! I think I am going to vomit.:throwup: I usually run away from roaches...I can't imagine attaching them to yourself on purpose! A friend at work showed me this the other day...apparantly they are VERY popular! :

On their website it says:
    BlackChandelier Giant Madagascar Hissing Cockroach Brooch

"A little information on our little friends. These insects come in varied patterns and are decorated with the finest Austrian Swarovski crystal. Each roach takes about an hour of painstaking work to achieve his final magical glory. All roaches are male to ensure sterility, and come complete with a leash set. This consists of a gorgeous pin you attach to your clothing with a chain that clasps to the cockroach's carapace to keep him from running amok. The lifespan of these animals is approximately one year if housed and fed properly. This is not a guarantee, it is an estimate. Roaches love fresh bananas and must have access to fresh water at all times, a very damp paper towel or cotton ball will do the trick. Dehydration is the main cause of death. Keep him in a little terrarium in the dark and he will love you and be very responsive to your touch. Roaches are shipped overnight in a box and can be kept in this box for up to 4 days without food or water while you secure him more hospitable accommodations."

AAAAAAAAH!!! GROSS!!!

Roachie.jpg
  2. Well, finally. Something posted on the PF that I don't want.

3. Ick! Hmmm, maybe as a Christmas present for my mother-in-law? (joking)

4. not a fan of any kind of cockroach but this is animal cruelty in my opinion. the equivalent of dressing up a bear in a circus. ridiculous.

5. omg that's nasty... i hate HATE roaches with a passion!!! :throwup::yucky:

6. That's very important that you mentioned it. Apparantly others thought so too:

The New York Post and The Associated Press report that the roach of choice is the hissing, three-inch giant Madagascar. Brightly-colored Swarovski crystals are attached to the hard outer shell of the roach's head along with a small clasp that attaches to a silver chain. The other end of the chain attaches to a cameo pin that is worn on a blouse, sweater or jacket lapel. The roach is then free to roam--all over the wearer's upper body. Cost: $80.

....(excerpt from netscape article)

WHO would ever conceive of such an idea? That acclaim actually goes to the 19th century Victorians, but it was recently resurrected by Salt Lake City-based fashion designer Jared Gold, reports The Post. You can purchase a roach brooch online at Jared Gold | Clothes | Black Chandelier | Fashion | Online Shopping or at Gold's retail store in Salt Lake City. Be forewarned: Gold can't keep them in stock. He told AP that what interests him the most as a designer is taking something that is mundane or grotesque and making it pretty. He also enjoys doing the opposite: taking something pretty and making it slightly disturbing.

It takes Gold about an hour to decorate a single cockroach with the Swarovski crystals. Only males roaches are used because the females bite. When the roaches are not being worn, Gold advises they be placed somewhere dark to live and given fresh fruit (bananas are best) and drinking water on a saturated paper towel. The most common cause of death is dehydration. If well cared for, they can live up to a year. One warning: Don't feed it right before you wear it or you may be wearing its excretions, too.

Not surprisingly, the People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals are horrified. ''It gives a new, sad meaning to the term 'fashion victim,'" PETA spokesman Michael McGraw told AP. ''Roaches will inherit the Earth, and if it's between the desperate people who wear them and the roaches, our money's on the roaches. These roaches may not be as cute and cuddly as puppies, but they have the same ability to feel pain and suffer."

7. Nasty nasty nasty nasty!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

8. Oooh this is actually pretty cute.

But animal cruelty. Still, I could imagine someone that accessorizes using pets (e.g. Ms. P Hilton) with one of these.

9. Wait a minute!!!!!!!! It's.....it's.......alive?????????????

10. ^^and it hisses? WTF????????????

11. Yup, and according to the website, will live for approximately one year if fed and cared for properly !

12. Is this a joke? It HAS to be a joke right? Come on! Who, who in their right mind who would ever......ewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww

13. i'm not an extremist but its just disrespectful of life in general IMO. just because its a cockroach, doesn't make it right. its like saying its okay to exploit something as long as its unnattractive? I'll bet the same people who created this are the same ones who claim to be environmentalists as well. very hypocrytical to me. sorry to rant but I am passionate when it comes to the animal kingdom. there is a balance to things but this is one that goes overboard. I'm hot cranky and tired too....:lol:

14. bagsandshoofetish,

I agree with you that it is animal cruelty. If you notice their website and their models it's kinda creepy as well. The maker says he can't keep them in stock! I wonder who would actually walk around with one of these. I think I would literally get sick if I saw this in real life. It just seems cruel to attach a hook to it's head too. This whole thing makes me shiver!

15. And who wants a giant cockroach crawling on them anyway!!!!:wtf: