Getting rid of belly fat? Tips please!!

1. Hi gals & guys,

I'm 5'7", 125 lbs and would say overall I'm in okay shape. I'm not saying I'm overweight or underweight, but I *would* like to get rid of the fat on my belly.

I used to be 165 lbs and had a huge belly, and getting rid of it has been a huge problem for me. I have strong abs underneath, because I used to work my abs all the time, but what's the point in having strong abs if I can't even get rid of my belly fat to show off my abs??

And tips/exercises?

Think jogging 30 minutes a day will help? I stopped exercising awhile ago, and would do anything again to get rid of this dreadful belly fat!!!

Thanks in advance!! :flowers:

2. The only thing that will get rid of belly fat is lots and lots of cardio and dieting.. figured this out the hard way lol.

3. I have the same problem Karman. Like Liz said you have to do alot of Cardio and dieting.

4. I don't know how to do this....I've been working on a solution to this problem my whole life. I do agree with the other posters, though, that a healthy diet and a regular exercise program are necessary. The only thing I would add is that simple carbs (sugars, breads, pasta) seem to make me look pudgier. My tummy is smaller-looking when I avoid these things....hard (impossible) as it is!

5. ^^^ITA, but you will need to do more than 30 minutes of cardio. Try to aim for at least 45 minutes 5-6 days a week. Combine that with some high reps low weight exercises for toning and you should see some results. Great question though, I had to ask a personal trainer because I also wanted to tone my belly.

6. I'm on the cardio bandwagon. Thats whats done it for me.

7. You can't pick which areas your body burns fat from, so general cardio and a healthy diet (like the others said) are the only ways to lose fat. You can also do ab exercises in order to strengthen up that area and build muscle, but you'll still need to work hard at burning calories in other ways.

8. I agree with other posters that you have to do cardio. I have the same issue! I'm pretty happy with my body but would like to be leaner around the middle. Even if you already have strong abs, I find that Pilates and abs exercises help define my waist and make it smaller even without weight loss.

9. Do yourself a favor and check this out:

The Abs Diet

This is NOT a fad diet, it is designed to be implemented as a healthy lifestyle change. I've been following it and have had great results. It incorporates a healthy meal plan with a great and reasonable exercise program. It's very reasonable and easy to follow. :yes:

And, while I agree with the other posters about cardiovascular exercise, I think weight training is even more important. The more muscle you build the more fat you burn. Muscle is your friend!

10. I am not overweight/underweight either but I have the most problems with my big belly. Unfortunately the place where you gain weight the most is also the last to go! I find that when I eat more protein and try to limit my carbs it helps a lot. If i eat a lot of pasta or bread it is like I gained 10 lbs automatically! A combo of high intensity cardio and ab exercises a must.

11. Eating less and cardio will help. Just remember eating less doesn't mean starvation, just smaller portions that are spread out more throughout the day. :yes:

I find the best way to lose weight though.. personally is, exam season. I lost almost 20 lbs the last one, and that was not a very good plummet considering that was almost 20% of my weight, womp womp.

12. I'd also suggest trying to lessen your stress, reduce simple carbs and eliminate pop. All of these things have been implicated in gaining weight around the belly, so it makes sense that lessening them will also help reduce it.

13. cardio, cardio, cardio listen to some good music while your working out and your on your way to a flat tummy:jammin:

14. Along with cardio you may want to look at friendly bacteria supplements these can help reduce bloating which will make a tummy look worse, also if your doing abs exercises make sure to breathe out with effort of your abs and become domed and give a rounder look to your tummy

If you do want to follow something with a little structure I've had great success with the south beach diet and body for life which is diet and exercise but body for life is a little hard core

feel free to pm if you want to talk more