Getting Outbid/Sniping

It is about getting it cheaper. Huge numbers of bidders like to "nibble" away, they have to be the one on the top of the list as the "high bidder," and that kind of behavior can really drive the price up. It also encourages the hidden snipe crowd to bid even more when they see that much activity. If people think there's no real interest in the item, they'll probably bid less.

I do know how they work, I'm a buyer and a seller. People don't just find random items people bid on and bid them up on purpose, it's called a market place. Supply and demand. If you want an item everyone else wants, yes they will all bid on it. The point is, no matter how much you win it for, you get it "cheaper" if it's less than your proxy. You shouldn't care how much it goes up to if you're willing to pay the ammount. Sniping isn't for the purpose of getting an item cheaper, it to get the last bid in.

i know there's no guarantee, but what would you say is the best "buffer" value time (number of seconds before an auction's due to end that the sniping program will submit your bid)? would you say 1 (the very last) second?

I always put my highest bid in right away and not worry if someone snipes it from me. Many snipers have underbid me because they figured my highest bid was a lot lower than they expected.
I do that, too. I just put the most I'm willing to pay, and if it goes for more than that, I can't control it.

i've never used a sniping service but have alwaz wanted to try it just to try it. if there's something i really want, i watch it & make sure i can bid at the ending. i do it from my phone if i have to!

thats just bidding for yourself, not proxy bidding. proxy IS putting your highest amount and letting the computer deal with it.

While eBay provides a proxy bidding system, most people on eBay do not bid with the proxy service in mind and if you do keep placing bids it does drive up the price. Waiting until the last second to bid will get you a better deal..

with that said, eBay employees are not allowed to bid on an auction within the last 60 seconds.. it really sucks because it makes me lose a lot of things so I mainly just stick to buy it now. :cry: :cursing: :censor:

I lost one item by a single penny,
But isn't that because you put in a lower proxy than the person who won? If you had put in a higher proxy, you may still not have won, just that you may have lost by more than a single penny. We'll never know if the winner put in an amount that was astronomically high, therefore always being ahead of your reasonable bids.

I don't snipe because I get a better sense if I really, really must have that item by waiting till the last minute or so. Often, I think I am going to place a bid... and then... realize I don't want the item enough.

You can tell if you lost by a single penny if that was literally the winning bid. If they'd bid more, it would have gone up by a full bidding increment and nothing less.

But isn't that because you put in a lower proxy than the person who won? If you had put in a higher proxy, you may still not have won, just that you may have lost by more than a single penny. We'll never know if the winner put in an amount that was astronomically high, therefore always being ahead of your reasonable bids.

I don't snipe because I get a better sense if I really, really must have that item by waiting till the last minute or so. Often, I think I am going to place a bid... and then... realize I don't want the item enough.