Getting a job in a high-end boutique? How?

1. Does anyone here work for a high-end department store or boutique? How did you get the job? And is this just a job to you or a career/long-term job?

I'm currently in my 4th year at uni and plan on going into my masters afterwards. Part of me thinks I should be looking for jobs related to my field/study (sociology/politics/history) or career goal (probably market research, consulting, advertising) but another part of me wants to get a job at a high-end boutique while I'm still in school and have the chance to.

2. Do you have a lot of experience working in retail? I've heard that people usually start in lower retail or chain stores then work their way up until they're where they want to be. Sometimes, you'll get lucky and know someone or land the job without too much experience based on having a good personality and good skills, but usually it seems to be experience.

3. if its going to make you happy then go for it.

4. purselova34 is right. All my SAs worked at stores like J Crew and FCUK before LV, Gucci, Barneys, etc.

Although if you have killer style and are gorgeous that helps a lot getting you interviews....

5. experience wins about 85% of the time over degrees when it comes to working for any major brand. it's pretty rare for an employee to be hired based solely on their degree or field of study, when they really don't know how the world works in the particular career.. for example, studying economics doesn't make you an expert on consumer trends or retailer trends. it just gives you an edge that COULD be applied to the career if you were to work in retail.

i'm in retail for the rest of my life.. and i've decided to make a career out of it, rather than "just a job". we get a lot of people during the holiday season though that have other "real careers" that just want to take a break or mix it up and have part time seasonal help with our store or other things like that on the side.

but if you have a "real career" and you want to work at a high end boutique on the side, you better have SOME sort of knowledge that you know what you're doing and how to approach customers/etc.. cuz you can't approach/sell to a customer the same way you approach coworkers/etc in your regular field of work.

i myself have worked very hard (6 years retail experience and counting!) to get to where i am today.. and the opportunities that come up sometimes i have to turn down/away... just so i could be with one company for a longer period of time.. which is also important.

and i basically have my foot in the door to work in a high(er) end boutique, it's just about when i'm ready to take on the challenge.

6. I don´t know where you´re from but it´s also who you are, your social background, the people you know......somehow the French SAs for LV or Chanel always have a posh name......wonder why ?
    better to be called Marie-Agnès De Saint Sulpice than Jenifer Dupuis.

7. I actually had an interview today at a top boutique :biggrin:

I have no retail experience, but am obsessed with fashion and design. Before I had my children I spent 10 years in IT and administration, so learn alot about Customer Service which I can apply to a job in fashion. I am doing a home studies fashion diploma at the moment, but the HR lady said today that my very enthusiasm and knowledge of fashion should get me into the store that I want to be in, so it will vary from store to store.
    :smile:

8. True in New York too.... You see very young socialites (like 15/16) working at Dior, etc. These tend to be girls who grew up on the UES and whose mother/mother's friend work at a fashion....

9. I know at Barneys, no experience necessary. But you have to be in on the fashion trends....

10. I'm an assistant manager at Coach and I started at the lowest in the company (support, where you're just cashier and stuff). This was less than a year ago and I honestly think I could stay with the company and do very well and still have time to do things I love.

I had a ton of retail/customer service experience as well.

11. Second point for the killer style. I met a girl who works for a very high-end boutique in Chicago. Not necessarily the most knock-out beautiful girl, but had great, quirky style. She walked in to ask about positions, the owner saw her and was hired right there.

12. I'd love to work in a High-end boutique :smile:

13. I work at H&M and a few months ago, a whole bunch of people left because they got hired at Bloomingdales. They all got the job because it was a new store opening and they were in the right place at the right time. Retail experience and great customer service skills are what they're looking for. Nordstrom's also wanted to interview me for their Collector's department. I think working in a department store is the way to work your way into high end retail. I've heard that some boutiques scope out the top sellers in department stores when they are looking to hire.

14. ^ yeah, when i was at macy's, i got head hunted a lot, at least twice a month!... and usually by some bigger/upscale dept stores or upscale lil boutiques in beverly hills/hollywoodish. kinda interesting. now at resto, i only get head hunted like.. thrice in the 2.5 years i've been here. lol.

15. :p That's pretty funny.

Speaking of languages, I imagine it'd be an asset to be fluent in another language, especially if it's spoken by wealthy tourists.