Gerard Darel?

SkyBag, if you haven't done so already, check Holt Renfrew. I know they carry Gerard Darels. It's awfully nice of you to offer to buy handbags for other PF'ers. Bear in mind, though, that unless I'm incorrect, duty applies to items coming into the US.

had to share that i just ordered a black 'charlotte' from balisimo in redondo beach as well....can NOT wait for it to arrive!!

for those of you that own one already, how did you waterproof/protect (if at all)? spray, lotion, or just leave it alone?? TIA :smile:

I bought a brown leather GD with brass studs from Ebay France last year. Its great, but I don't carry it much because of the brass. I am more of a silver hardware person.
The shape and leather is great.
They were available at Holt Renfrew last summer. I heard they were not carrying them anymore.

More questions!
...Shyloo, you're Canadian; I read somewhere that the shoulder strap is not long enough to fit comfortably over a coat. Is this true?

Yes, unless you had really skinny shoulders it would not fit over a coat. Its a hand or arm held bag.
You are Canadian too, I guess?

had to share that i just ordered a black 'charlotte' from balisimo in redondo beach as well....can NOT wait for it to arrive!!

for those of you that own one already, how did you waterproof/protect (if at all)? spray, lotion, or just leave it alone?? TIA :smile:

Oh, my local NM has a dark brown charlotte on hold for me! I wish is was black! Congratulations on your bag:smile:

I have the same question...can you use the apple guard products on this bag along with the spray to protect it? Does the leather waterstain?

Hello! Just being lazy and checking in....
Yes, I am Canadian. Isn't that a famous quote....:wondering ....yes, yes, I think it is!:roflmfao:
Thanx for your response. I will have to factor in the big bulky coat. One of the forums had a picture of a Fashion Criminal, Eva Longoria holding it on her arm - purse looked good - clothing: bad!!! I think her bag was bigger (48 Heures perhaps) than the 24 Heures.
I'm still waiting for my flight to Paris... and still taking requests from North Americans who can't seem to find them in their area.
FYI: eBay.com still has a Beige leather Charlotte.

Hi:

To be honest here, for me, personally, IMO, I don't see anything spectacular about these "Gerard Darel" bags. I posed a thread if you notice recently about any thoughts on buying a new bag while in Paris, and was told about Gerard Darel. Which I did thank many for, and I do appreciate their opinions. But of course. But IF a bag is for you? We must all answer this question.

I looked it up on the internet, Gerard Darel, and to me, so far that is, (before my trip to Paris) IMO, this bag looks quite boring. So what if "Charlotte Gainsbourg" has one, and every French woman has one this side of the Atlantic? If you don't care for something, if it's not your style, you should not buy it, regardless. So what if all the actresses are carrying the latest--whatever bag-----to me, this is NOT the reason to purchase a bag, not at all. Many might feel very different, desiring to have whatever bag the latest stars have and carry, but this is NOT me. I buy what I love. Will let you know what I think of Gerard Darel when I return from Paris. Am looking forward to going to the shop on St. Germain des Pres, as one kind poster informed me of. But, regardless if it's the "in" bag or not, if I don't love it, I will not buy it.:nuts:

Hi:

To be honest here, for me, personally, IMO, I don't see anything spectacular about these "Gerard Darel" bags. I posed a thread if you notice recently about any thoughts on buying a new bag while in Paris, and was told about Gerard Darel. Which I did thank many for, and I do appreciate their opinions. But of course. But IF a bag is for you? We must all answer this question.

I looked it up on the internet, Gerard Darel, and to me, so far that is, (before my trip to Paris) IMO, this bag looks quite boring. So what if "Charlotte Gainsbourg" has one, and every French woman has one this side of the Atlantic? If you don't care for something, if it's not your style, you should not buy it, regardless. So what if all the actresses are carrying the latest--whatever bag-----to me, this is NOT the reason to purchase a bag, not at all. Many might feel very different, desiring to have whatever bag the latest stars have and carry, but this is NOT me. I buy what I love. Will let you know what I think of Gerard Darel when I return from Paris. Am looking forward to going to the shop on St. Germain des Pres, as one kind poster informed me of. But, regardless if it's the "in" bag or not, if I don't love it, I will not buy it.:nuts:

EXACTLY!
There's one thread called "Only buy designer bags?" where people are discussing whether thay are able to buy "any ol' bag" after they start purchasing designer bags. I say, why not?
Personally, I like the Darel bag for it's size and simplicity. Basically, I like it because it's boring. I think I'll be able to get a lot of use out of it. Some people buy designers' bags for their quality, many buy them for their style and I don't doubt others have bought the bag that today's It girl is carrying.
On that same note, you can't knock people for wanting the bag that "so and so" had. It girls are on magazine covers and big screens. Unless we spent our entire lives in boutiques (and I don't doubt, some do) we wouldn't be exposed to allthat is available. Just because I saw it on Kate Moss, doesn't mean I want her bag, it means I want that bag.
I learned about the Charlotte, which is really called the Drapé; and affectionately known as the "24 Heures", in a Style section of the newspaper - no one was carrying it, it just looked good to me. I could have chucked the article, but I liked it so I looked it up.
Similarly, you appealed to Purse Forum to help you decide which bag you must buy when you're in Paris. Isn't it great that we have access to the whole world's selection of PURSES!!!
Word of advice: Don't spend your entire time in Paris looking for a purse!!! Be sure to get a Falefel from rue des Rosiers and make sure you walk around The Marais. Picasso and Rodin museums are smaller and lovely... and ... just take it all in, cuz there's no place like Paris! But then again you may not be into those things - it's just my advise...

EXACTLY!
There's one thread called "Only buy designer bags?" where people are discussing whether thay are able to buy "any ol' bag" after they start purchasing designer bags. I say, why not?
Personally, I like the Darel bag for it's size and simplicity. Basically, I like it because it's boring. I think I'll be able to get a lot of use out of it. Some people buy designers' bags for their quality, many buy them for their style and I don't doubt others have bought the bag that today's It girl is carrying.
On that same note, you can't knock people for wanting the bag that "so and so" had. It girls are on magazine covers and big screens. Unless we spent our entire lives in boutiques (and I don't doubt, some do) we wouldn't be exposed to allthat is available. Just because I saw it on Kate Moss, doesn't mean I want her bag, it means I want that bag.
I learned about the Charlotte, which is really called the Drapé; and affectionately known as the "24 Heures", in a Style section of the newspaper - no one was carrying it, it just looked good to me. I could have chucked the article, but I liked it so I looked it up.
Similarly, you appealed to Purse Forum to help you decide which bag you must buy when you're in Paris. Isn't it great that we have access to the whole world's selection of PURSES!!!
Word of advice: Don't spend your entire time in Paris looking for a purse!!! Be sure to get a Falefel from rue des Rosiers and make sure you walk around The Marais. Picasso and Rodin museums are smaller and lovely... and ... just take it all in, cuz there's no place like Paris! But then again you may not be into those things - it's just my advise...

Hi Skybag! Thx for your lovely reply. Enjoyed reading it! Yes, it's wonderful to have this "purse forum" to gain others' opinions. Like yours~~:yahoo: Believe me, I won't have time to spend every minute looking for a bag--but I do hope to buy just one. We'll see. Maybe this time--maybe not----Yes, the Rodin Musee is one of my absolute favorites in all Paris! And I look forward to every moment in my favorite City in the entire world~ Wanna come????:yes:
Have a fasbulous day~

NM in San Diego now carries GD bags. They had the black and red in patent leather. I saw a few in "regular" leather--I remember one that was cream--don't remember the other colors. I think there was also a knit/sweater version in grey. Give the store a call if you're interested. I think they were all $390. Ask for Debra or Suzy. They're both nice! Their number is 619.692.9100.

I agree that you should only buy bags you love, but I have to admit I love GD bags.

A Charlotte is my everyday bag. The leather is fabulously soft, particularly for the price. The bag is big, but really slouchy, so you can fit alot of stuff, but when it's almost empty doesn't feel bulky. And I find the handles long enough for me to wear it on my shoulder, even over a bulky winter coat. Also, I like wearing a bag that isn't instantly recognizable...except when I'm in Paris, of course.