"Genuine" vs. "Authentic" on Ebay and other issues. Please, please help!!

1. Hi,

I have just bought a bag from eBay that was listed as a "genuine" mulberry bayswater. I use "genuine" and "authentic" to mean the same thing... Is this the case? I ask because after studying the pictures more closely I think the bag is a fake.

This is the listing:

http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=280078095137&sspagenam e=ADME:L:RTQ:CA:1

I am pretty new to eBay, so any advice on this issue or what to do next would be very much appreciated. I have paid using paypal.

ps. Some other weird issues with this seller: quoted one price for postage then added about 25%, wanted to insure the bag for double the price I paid, when I protested still insured for 50 pounds more than I paid. Any idea on what is going on here??
  2. If you think it's fake, you're going to have to back up your claim somehow to paypal and/or eBay. You won't know for sure of course until you receive the bag and look at it in person.

If you receive it and you're sure it's fake, file a claim with paypal and eBay. Also, after you file, contact your credit card company and tell them you have received counterfeit merchandise. CC companies take that very seriously.

With regard to her postage issues, postage may have cost her more than she realized, and she passed it along to you (against eBay rules but probably too late now). Also, many sellers insure bags and other valuable items for their retail price, not the selling price.
  3. if you think it's fake, don't accept it, send it back and file a non-received goods.
    Paypal will side w/ you if you don't receive it, but it's A LOT of work to get them to side w/ you just because a bag is fake.
  4. i think genuine and authentic is the same meaning?
  5. It doesn't matter if it's called authentic or genuine or not called anything at all because it is illegal to traffic in bags that are counterfeit and therefore (if it is counterfeit and if you can support your claim), the basis for deciding in your favor will not be affected by the language used to describe the authenticity of the bag.
  6. ^ I agree. :yes:

I also think genuine, when put in front of the designer name (i.e. 'genuine Mulberry'), has the same meaning as authentic does, in the same position. :biggrin:
  7. Hi,

Thanks everyone! I am still trying to make up my mind what to do about this, but if I do collect the bag and believe it to be a fake, how can I prove it? Sorry if this is a boring question for people who already know the system...
  8. Did you pay through paypal?? If you believe it is fake, just file a dispute with paypal stating that you believe it is not authentic. And paypal will return your payment to you.
    Make sure you take pictures of the bag you received before you send it back as your record and ship it back with signature required delivery method so the seller will not say it is not received. You sometimes have to prove to paypal you shipped it back before you get you a refund. And also if you are having trouble with paypal, call your credit card company if you paid with credit card.

Hope this helps