Gastritis

1. Hi everyone I was just diagnosed with gastritis yesterday. I am so scared is it a serious illness? My doctor didn't prescribe me anti-biotics just acid inhibitors. I had major surgery in October I had an ectopic pregnancy and nearly died it took me about a month and a half to heal I just feel like my body's breaking down!! I never been sick prior to the surgery maybe a sorethroat every 5 yrs. or something. Has anyone ever experienced anything similar. I always think I am at death door now and I am 25! Thanks for letting me share:heart: .

2. Gastritis is an inflammation of the lining of the stomach. In your case it sounds like it may have been caused by regular use of pain medications and/or the trauma of your surgery. It usually isn't serious and will clear up with treatment. Let your doctor know if you experience dark tarry BMs or bloody vomitus.

3. Thanks madamefifi!! :flowers: He said my large intestine is also swollen is that typical symptom of gastritis?

4. I don't know anything about this condition, but I hope you feel much better!

5. Thank you purplekitty22! :flowers:

6. You have been though a traumatic and stressful time and this can cause the stomach to produce excess acid. The acid is hard on your stomach lining and causes it to become painful and inflamed. You were probably on medications that also were irritating to your stomach, which further complicated the problem. The acid inhibitors should help a lot, but you need to be diligent in taking them as prescribed. In addition to taking the acid inhibitors, be sure to watch your diet. Did your doctor mention the "CAPS" diet? That is to avoid Caffeine, Aspirin, Pepper and Spicy foods (like onions, garlic, jalapenos, etc.), all of which can boost acid production and irritate your already inflamed stomach lining. I have battled gastritis and esophagitis for years--since my mid-20's--and it is managable, but I've found that it does return if I am under a lot of stress or if I start eating the wrong foods (love the spicy stuff!).

Hang in there and you should start feeling better soon. If you don't notice a difference after two or three weeks be sure to see your doctor again. There are several different types of medicine to treat the condition and your doctor may also want to take a peek in your stomach using endoscopy (if he hasn't already) if you aren't getting results from the acid inhibitors. Good luck!

7. Good advice here.Just remember to avoid the bad spicy foods....

8. This is great info here- If you have more questions, just ask your Dr, he should have talked you through it a bit more so you had your questions answered.

Feel better- rest- and eat plain/bland foods for now... lets your intestine rest :yes:

9. My Mom went through this. Her doctor treated her the same way as you. I agree with all of the above^^. Wishes for a speedy recovery.

10. valerieb - Thank you so much for that info!!
    Jill - Iwill certainly try!! Thanks!!
    Megs - plain bland food, never thought of it that way but it's TRUE!! I will have to or else. Thanks!!
    serendipidity3kb- Thank you!

11. stay away from tacos and everything will be cool

12. Thanks BQueenGirl but tacos sure are tempting, but I will have to resist temptation!!!!

13. Get well soon! :biggrin:

14. Thanks juicy couture jen!!

15. Hey "madamefifi"...I can feel your pain. I am also 25, and I have suffered with for years with gatritis, an ulcer, esophigitis, acid reflux, and a hiatial hernia. I know one thing is for sure...you dont want to wind up with more than you already have. So be sure to watch what you eat & drink. Stress also can be a significant cause of all these things as well. If you want more info on my doctor recommended diet for what to eat and not eat PM me. Hope you feel better soon! :smile: vbmenu_register("postmenu_1644998", true);