Gallbladder removal surgery?

1. I am due to go into hospital on Tuesday for an operation to have my gallbladder removed after suffering from excruciating gallbladder attacks in the last few months.
    Has anybody here had this surgery? and if so, what has your experience ben of it?
    I am absolutely TERRIFIED :crybaby: and keep worrying that something will go wrong or I will be in really bad pain afterwards. I have never had any operations in my life and I am dreading this one even though I know it has to be done.

Any advice on this would be greatly appreciated. Many thanks in advance. xx

2. I had terrible gallbladder attacks and had my gallbladder taken out about a year ago. No biggie. It was basically outpatient surgery, I was asked to come at 6am , and they did my surgery around 8am. I woke up around 10:30am and was discharged at noon.

I wasn't allowed to drive, and was uncomfortable for about a week. I couldn't sleep on my right side. It's minor scarring (small incision above belly button, one high on your abdomen to the right, and two little ones below it, all closed with little surgi-strips - no stitches)

There is minor gassiness which persisits for several weeks. Not much pain.

Anyhow, I've had an appendectomy, D&C and a C-section so this was really minor in comparision.

You'll be fine!!

3. ^^ Thank you so much merika. I have been worrying myself sick at the thought of it which I know is silly given that there are people having far more major operations than mine, it's just that panic of going into hospital.

I've been told that I will be in overnight. I'm looking forward to just getting it over and done with and getting home to rest for a few days! xx

4. It is the fear of hospitals & surgery. I haven't had Gall bladder out but have had 2 x C sections & hysterectomy. Really I worried myself sick about the last one & the worry was so much worse than the surgery. Once you get in it won't be so bad! Good luck!

5. I had my gallbladder removed too, the surgery is pretty quick and I was in and out the same day. Trust me, you will be glad to be done with the horrible pain.

6. I know nothing about gallbladder removal, just wanted to wish you a speedy recovery.

7. Merika's information is good. I had gallstones and awful attacks--I figured the surgery had to be better than the pain of the attacks! It's a very common, laproscopic surgery (they go in thru small incisions to remove it and the scars are small and in most people will become almost invisible eventually). I was in overnight but they release you at about 23 hrs so technically it's outpatient. You'll feel sore and tired for several days, but the recovery isn't bad at all.

Good luck--I'm sure you'll be fine. Most people get anxious over the thought of hospitals and surgery--not uncommon at all.

8. My cousin had it done, it was a very easy surgery. He was in and out in one day. He said he was a bit uncomfortable for 3-4 days but nothing bad. He said he felt so much better having it taken out and wishes he had it done sooner.
    You will be fine.
    Hugs.

9. I wish you the best of Luck. I always let fear get the best of me when it comes to medical procedures. Later I wonder why.

It has been suggested that I do a hysterectomy for fibroids - I thought that was a rush judgement. I am trying to see if I can get thru menopause.

10. I had hysterectomy for fibroids & endometriosis well before menopause, no problem & best thing I ever did! Well I really didn't have a choice as one ovary was ready to burst, so if you do have a choice then maybe wait!

11. Bring a walkman or an Ipod with soft music playing. You can listen to it while you go to sleep.

(I listened to Celine Dion before my spinal fusion. That calmed me.)

Just keep telling yourself that they're good doctors and you'll get some really good painkillers afterwards.

We'll all be here cheering for you!

12. I didn't have stones but my gallbladder was only functioning at 12% vs. 25% of it's ability - so I was very sick. Lost 20 lbs in 2 months until someone figured out it was my gallbladder! My surgery went just fine so don't be worried. It took me a little while to get my digestion in order afterwards as I was so compromised ahead of time. But my mom had it done and was eating fine within a week. I'm sure you will come out of it feeling better than ever!!!

Best of luck to you.

13. Good luck!! You'll be fine, and it will be over before you know it! *Hugs*

14. Thank you all so much for your kind words and support. I went into the hospital today for pre-op tests and then found out at the last minute that the operation has had to be cancelled due to a lack of beds. I am upset a little as I had finally gotten myself in the right frame of mind for it. I have now been told that I could be called in anytime within the next few weeks.
    I was also told that theres a chance that I may have to have the other style of operation where they have to make a larger incision and theres a much longer recovery time. I really hope it doesn't come to that as I dont think I could bear it!
    I shall keep you all informed and will also update after the op so that it may help others in the same position. Thank you all again. xx

15. i had to have my gallbladder removed three weeks after a c section. I was not looking forward to more time in the hospital. but the surgery was not bad at all they made two small holes in my right side and removed my gallbladder thru my belly button. please don't worry you will be find and that horrible pain will be gone. you will have a little gass but that will pass in a couple of weeks.