fundraising dinners

1. I'm on the committee to plan the "Fur Ball" for the animal shelter where I volunteer. Most of the other committee members are veterans to the whole "wealthy doner" scene -- they work on charity balls for the hospital, the Second Mile, etc. Meanwhile, this is all totally new to me, but I am quite excited about the opportunity to dress up and party!

Anyway, we are trying to determine the ticket price. It will either be $100/person, $200/couple or $125/person, $250/couple.

Do any of you attend a lot of fundraising events and have an opinion on which might be better? I'm thinking that any couple who is willing to pay $200 will also be willing to pay $250. Meanwhile, if someone gets an invitation and they think that $250/couple is too much to pay, then they would probably also think that $200 was a lot. Point being that we won't really lose any "business" by charging the higher price, and it will bring in $4000 more dollars. Also, we wouldn't "alienate" people any more by charging the higher price -- as it's already a bit off-putting for people who are struggling w/ money at the lower cost. Opinions?

I'm sure I'll be posting lots more about the upcoming "ball" as I'll be looking for dress, and of course BAG recommendations for the event:smile:

2. I do a ton of fundraising events for my kids school and for PHH's Hospital..Feel free to PM me..I have lots of ideas.
    I would do a SMALLER ticket price and then do raffles,and sell off baskets you can get donated from various businesses.I make at least 10,000 in each event form doing a chinese auction theme with great donations.you have to be committed to going to businesses you know and getting them to donate in exchange for the advertising..etcc...

3. ^^^thanks Jill! I will definitely be PMing as I'm sure to have lots of questions as we get going. That's amazing that you can always get 10,000 from the auction.

We are actually having a less formal event the week before (it's called the "pet extraveganza" and is meant to attract larger numbers of people). It will have a silent auction w/ items at all price ranges. One of my jobs will actually be to go and solicit items, like you said, so any advice on how to do that well would be very appreciated:smile: Is a chinese auction the same as a silent one?

The chair of our fur ball committee seems pretty convinced that she can get enough people to do $100-125/person for tickets to the Ball. Then we are having an auction of ten $1000+ items. Vacations, naming opptys for the new shelter, and -- hopefully! -- a car or 1 yr lease (these come, like you said, from businesses seeking advertising/sponsorship opptys, and from the committee members and people that they know.)

Sadly, as a committee member still in grad school, I will not be donating a car this year, lol!

4. The first fundraiser I ran was a fashion show for a sitdown dinner with 400 people....ARGH..it went amazing..BUT it was CRAZY how much work I did...INSANELY so....
    Pm me anytime...I have learned so much from all these events...love to assist.

5. Sorry to hijack, but Jill would you mind if I PMed you as well? We've just started up a PanCAN (Pancreatic Cancer Awareness Network) chapter in Atlanta, and we're working on ideas for events and fundraisers. Some ideas and advice from someone with your experience would be so helpful! My father died in January from Pancreatic Cancer, so this cause is extremely near and dear to my heart. Thanks!

6. ^wow-ABSOLUTELY!so sorry about your dad.Going thru cancer with my FIL now...
    Pm me anytime.....Love to help you

7. Thanks Jill! I'll take you up on that when I get my questions together. Sorry about your FIL.

8. MandM- I am sure Jill can help you out! I grew up in a house where fundraises are auctions came a few times a year. My mom has chaired many auctions and fundraisers and we have attended quite a few- all different price ranges.

Try to think of your audience- really focus on the target group and what type of lives they typically lead. Will it be black tie, white tie, etc? Typically white tie fundraisers have higher priced plates- think of the venue- and think of how to get people to want to donate. You can have fun auctions that really don't cost much to you or the organization that people will pay for. One that comes to mind is with my high school there was the highest bids on - A Day as the Principal. You got to sit in the principals office all day and 'rule' the school so to speak. That costs nothing for the school and someone last year paid $23,800 for it!!!! So there are many ways.

You could also have different prices and they people chose- they could be in the 'platinum' donator section, 'gold' section, 'silver' section. They could chose what ticket price they can do and then if you have a program add those names in their sections too.

So many ways to work it!! You will do great

Sheesh, can you not tell that auctions and fundraisers for me are second nature!!!!!

9. Thanks Megs! It is sooo great to know that I can PM you and Jill when questions arise. Fortunately, I'm not in charge of the whole thing, but it's so nice to get opinions from pros as we encounter questions -- like the $100 vs. $125 dillemma.

I can't believe someone paid $23.000 to rule the school! Maybe someone would like to rule the shelter for a day? LOL. But those auction items that cost nothing are the best. Meanwhile, I can't believe JILL's first dinner was 400 people. We are looking for about 150, black tie (I'm in a college town, so white tie might be over the top here). By having two events we are also trying to appeal to a broader audience -- the sitdown dinner caters more towards the well off crowd who typically donates to the hospital and everything else around here:smile:

(((baglover and Jill))) It's so good that you are doing a fundraiser baglover -- helps funnel some sadness into a positive cause.

10. ^ Well let me know if you have any questions along the way!!

Some of the fundraiser's I have been to were $5,000 a plate (but that was very expensive for a huge event)

The auctions my mom has run have brought in over $100K at least and I think over $200k for one or two. Some people will pay so much for the craziest things- trust me! It depends on the area too of course :flowers:

Keep us posted!

11. Thanks MandM! It's a good outlet for me. Makes me feel like I can "do something".

Good luck on your fundraiser! Be sure to share any good ideas that you come up with!

12. Megs, that would be awesome if we could do $5000 a plate...but people around here would laugh at us I'm afraid:smile: Our biggest dinners in the area are usually around $3-400/plate. I do think that if this one is successful we can raise the price next year.

It's sounds like it would be super exciting to attend those swanky dinners though!

Our fundraising chair did get some big donations -- $10,000 on up to a whole lot, but did that through naming opptys for the new center and stuff.

13. ^ If this is the first annual, you won't want to start too high- you can always go up next year!!

BagLuver- So sorry about your dad. That is a great cause that you are working on- let me know if you need anything also!! :flowers:

14. This is so cool, MandM! I like Megs' idea of the different levels of donors and having their names published in a program...the higher you go the more perks you get, more raffle entries, etc etc. I'm not an expert in planning these events but this is a wonderful cause and please keep us posted!! ((hugs))

15. I'm with Jill. Go with the lower ticket price, get as many people as you can to come, serve lots of alcohol, and get great auction items.

My Junior League has an annual shopping night for women where we have a two-tier admission: $125 for a patrons' cocktail hour (starts a half-hour early and everyone gets two free drink tickets plus some extras in their goody bag) and then $75 for general admission (everyone still gets a few things in a goody bag). All of the items in the bag are donated by local businesses, including our big department store, Marshall Field's.

The auction has unique items like lunch with local celebrities, or dinner at one's own home done by the chef of a well-known restaurant. Also, a week or weekend at someone's vacation house is popular, or the use of a sky box for a football or baseball game. Items donated by jewelers also go over well and by the "in" photographers in town. Given that attendance is usually only 150 people or so, it's pretty great that we take in over $25K in the live auction. We also usually have about 120 silent auction items that do well.