Frugal Habits -- stolen from Hermes Forum

Maybe this does not count as frugal...but I purchase all my Chanel bags either secondhand (trustworthy consignment shop) or at outlet (Woodbury Commons). I think so far in the 6 months of purchases, I have saved close to $10,000. :yahoo: That savings will now go toward my daughter's college tuition for next year.

1. I walk to work - I only get gas every 4-5 weeks :wlae:
2. I go home for lunch during the workweek to eat and let the dog out - unless I have a meeting and then I can expense it ;)
3. I clip coupons and have so much fun doing so!! :yes:
4. I date quite a bit, so dinner and drinks are generally paid for :graucho:
5. I have a free gym membership with my lease agreement :jammin:
6. I am a MAJOR bargain-hunteress!!! :supacool:

In general, if I can do it myself, I do. I do a lot of maintenance on our house--painting, landscaping, etc. This isn't very nice for the hands, but it's great for the pocketbook!

After completing a large project I have occasionally rewarded myself with a new bag!

1) I live at home with my parents, so I don't have to worry about rent :supacool:

2) My company provides free lunch every day, so I don't have to spend money. However, I have a bad habit of buying muffins and bagels at the neighborhood coffeeshop for breakfast and those can add up...in terms of money and pounds! I've controlled this by buying a box or 2 of cereal and bringing it to work.

3) I take public transport everywhere and/or walk

4) I catch up on all my news and magazines online! By the time the same stories get published on paper, I've already read it.

5) I get manis and pedis as a once-in-a-while treat rather than regularly.

6) I get haircuts no more than 3 times a year...I choose a simple style of cut that looks good while it grows out. I also avoid damage to my hair by not blow-drying or using hair dye.

7) I, too, am a bargain huntress! I go to Loehmann's, Marshalls, and Target for basics and bargain shoes. For the really high end stuff, I wait for the big department store sales, both in the store and online. However, this is also where I get caught up with spending...I find a really spectacular piece that is deeply discounted, but I don't end up wearing it because it is *too* (insert negative adjective here!).

and the #1 tip I can give is to STAY HOME! Almost anything you do outside of the house requires spending money...if you stay home you're less inclined to spend money...although you can still do shopping on the internet, I get more pleasure just browsing online stores than buying from them...

i get new releases from netflix rather than going to the movies. saves maybe about $60 a month. i used to love going to the movies, but hated 1) how the movie i JUST saw would come out on dvd after just a few months and 2) the crowds, and the annoying comments random people would yell out during the movie. this would happen at most places we went to.

I live on a diet of cottage cheese and chicken salads.:yucky:

Make my own coffee at home, which also saves 600 calories! :wtf:

Do my own manis and pedis

No designer clothes or shoes, just clothes from bebe and shoes from cathy jean, which are the most comfortable shoes ever! I can run in cathy jean heels!

I wish I had more frugal habits but I don't...

My vices (besides handbags) are food and Starbucks coffee... oh and I love flipping through magazines.. it's one of my favourite stress busters.

But I guess I've taken little steps since last year...

1) Stopped ordering the $3-5 dollar lattes/flavoured lattes and now order the ~$2 americano.

2) I am trying to bring lunch more often, but it's been difficult. This is something I've gotta work on more because I know there is HUGE savings to be had in this category.

3) I rationalize that my magazine habit is cheaper than going for regular massages.. but at the same time - I've reduced my tabloid buying to every now and then (I'd say one per month.) instead of weekly. But I do have subscriptions to a few fashion mags and I figure this is savings since I'd otherwise buy it retail. When I do buy magazines - I try to buy somewhere where I can collect points that I can later redeem for savings.

4) At the risk of being anti-social, I have reduced the number of outings I go to during the week and on the weekends. Plus I'm opting for more low key things like meeting a friend for coffee, or having a few people over for a home-cooked meal instead of nights of dinner at fancy restaurant followed by clubbing and then followed by late night eating. This helps my pocketbook AND helps me get more sleep!

Here are some of things I do that really save me money:

1. Make my own coffee (Bunn My cafe makes coffee better than Starbuck)
2. Seldom eat out 'cause I don't eat meat and I make good veggie meal.
3. I don't buy trendy clothes and pay full price for pants only.
4. I drive manual transmission to save gas and drive carefully to avoid ticket (few hundreds/ticket nowaday)
5. I shop at Sam Club's and Costco.

here are my "frugal" habits:
1. i take the bus or mtr and rarely take a cab (unless my stilettos are killing my feet- then cab fare is worth it)
2. since i spend money on bags, i don't buy designer clothes. i scour around for reasonably priced clothes (hk is great for this- with all the alleys and markets)
3. i've cut down on spas and manis and pedis. i have bought a good skin care line so i can cleanse, tone, moisturize and exfoliate at home
4. i make and drink coffee at home
5. i TRY not to enter an lv, chanel, gucci or tiffany & co boutique when i have no intentions of buying

I thought I was the only person who did stuff like this.....

- I never pay to have my hair cut
- I do my own pedicures often but will pay now and then...
- I only pay for starbucks like once a week if that, I also got a starbucks visa which allows me to get free starbucks, when dh and I feel like a latte we make them at home and if we are out purchase one in a larger size and split it.
- I rarely purchase lunch out
- Most of my clothing is mid-high end designers but never pay more than 50% off original price, usually purchase off of shopbop sales @ 70% off.
- Use discount services online and shop for the best prices on things I need.
I do however buy most all of my groceries @ Wholefoods and healthfood stores, try to stay on a mostly organic clean food diet which is a little more expensive but worth it to me! and since I do a lot of driving for work I drive a kinda expensive car, though work picks up a lot of the cost.....
- I try to avoid buying a lot of crap and rather save all the money for fewer nice things.
- I get one and two year magazine subscriptions for like $8 and $12 rather than purchasing for $4 each!
- Oh and I avoid the "group dinner" where everyone orders a ton of stuff and you split the bill by the number of people, they can be way too expensive and being a vegetarian that doesn't each that much I would wind up spending $100 on salad and a drink or two......

- Oh and I avoid the "group dinner" where everyone orders a ton of stuff and you split the bill by the number of people, they can be way too expensive and being a vegetarian that doesn't each that much I would wind up spending $100 on salad and a drink or two......

A little OT - but this is one of my HUGEST pet peeves. Whenever I used to go out for dinner w/ my girlfriends who live in the city - I'd be driving in from the 'burbs and I wouldn't drink b/c I had a 1/2 hour drive after dinner. They'd be throwing back bottle after bottle of wine *hello - bottle of wine in a restaurant $45 +!!! - and I would have the pleasure of SPLITTING the cost when I wouldn't even drink any of it.

I absolutely HATE that!!!!!!!!!!!:cursing: